BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

Could somebody please confirm if I'm reading the rules right. I take them as meaning that for a particular stretch of canal as defined on the planning sheets you take the number of miles and multiply them according to the boat length, then add the number of locks and multiply the result by the given bonus of 2 or 3 if appropriate. Is this right?

Could somebody please confirm if I'm reading the rules right. I take them as meaning that for a particular stretch of canal as defined on the planning sheets you take the number of miles and multiply them according to the boat length, then add the number of locks and multiply the result by the given bonus of 2 or 3 if appropriate. Is this right?

Hmmm, that's interesting as I don't think that's the interpretation we came up with last week. I might have to pick your brains about that next week!

Hi,

Are you moored at Lady Lane?

Plus are you moored in the arm as we are as well?

We hope to do the challenge.

Hi Clarrie, yes we are right up the top of the arm past your boat, the last cruiser in the line.

In you video about 50 seconds in you see a wheelbarrow and some gas bottles, that is us, when did you shoot that was it last weekend?

If so I can easily explain my absence from the mooring.

Hi Clarrie, yes we are right up the top of the arm past your boat, the last cruiser in the line.

In you video about 50 seconds in you see a wheelbarrow and some gas bottles, that is us, when did you shoot that was it last weekend?

If so I can easily explain my absence from the mooring.

Yes the photo's were taken last Saturday.

We must meet up for a pint soon.

:)

we are aware that the system makes it nigh on impossible to win but we looking to have a great laugh

Hi, welcome to the forum and the BCN Challenge. I wouldn't be so sure about being uncompetitive. Before the points system changed last year, the challenge was won three years in a row by a short boat

I would be planning a route with lots of travelling in it. You are going to be quicker in and out of places like Anglsey Basin, Bradley workshops and the Cannock extension because you can turn around easily. That will buy you at least half an hour on us. Your lock times should be good with three people

Another thing. I think the BCN Challenge has something about it that suggests it is only for hardcore, dedicated boats - working boats perhaps. Certainly that it can only be won by tar-handed, flat cap wearing blokes smoking pipes. More boats like yours would add a lot to the challenge

Richard

Team Tawny Owl - RLWP, Mrs Tawny Owl, Smudge, Purple Fairie, Proper Job, Richard Parry

Iona - MILLIE, Ange, Davel, Divum Draconis

The Cat Who Walks By Himself - Nine of Hearts

Cobbett - Wrigglefingers, Starcoaster, Katie, Ellen

Diesel and Dust - Tom and Bex

Firefly - John6767

Team Red Wharf - Victor Vectis, Little Else, Madcat

Albion - Junior, Rob-M, Captain Fizz (CEO)

MVCL - System 4-50

Clarrie - LaurieB

Peckham Poppy - Odana, Black Beauty, Keeping Up

Telemachus - nicknorman, Jeff, Chris

The Moorhen - Mike & Jane

Clover - sarahavfc, M589

Beau - Dave_P

Reginald - Mike the Boilerman, Tree Monkey
Stronghold - Oakie
Chalice - ODIN, Alan, Cath & David Fincher
Carpe Vinum - Kustomcut
That's nineteen (if Wrigglefingers sends her forms off). Can we find another boat to make twenty?
Richard
Edited by RLWP

There are forms? ohmy.png

There are even rules? ohmy.png

Oh err! - Better get on the case with some of this then! laugh.png

More seriously, all hopes of turning up in another boat now seem dashed, so the vessel of choice will indeed be "Chalice". However a number of things are going down at the moment, and I wouldn't currently guarantee our attendance, I'm afraid.

Hello all I'm the newest person to take part in the challenge this year and also the strange individual in the 20ft grp a Dawncraft dandy to be exact previously called Sully .

I have owned the boat for a year and half and love it,we spent a lot of time travelling from lady lane wharf to gas street for overnight stops last year, and we also did lady lane to goldstone wharf the long way via Dudley as the Wolverhampton flight was closed last year, Our boat has just been renamed Carpe Vinum and looking forward to this challenge, although we are aware that the system makes it nigh on impossible to win but we looking to have a great laugh me and hopefully my 2 daughters . Maybe see some if you before the event I have just spent the last hour or so reading all the topic so feel adequately updated.

Welcome to the forum and the challenge! I have seen your boat around Gas Street Basin a couple of times. I agree with others: diversity of boats on the canals and in the challenge is only a good thing.

Maybe I'll enter the challenge on my canoe next year? Would that be allowed?

Yes the photo's were taken last Saturday.

We must meet up for a pint soon.

smile.png

Aha, well last Saturday was a vague recollection for me.

The day went something like this......

Up at stupid o clock at home usual Sat am chores shopping etc, I then begged the wife to drop me at the boat as I had loads I wanted to do, installing some new drawers etc.

Being the nice husband I am and not wanting my wife to have to walk all the way up the feeder arm, loaded with goodies to make my overnight stay more pleasurable, I had the idea to dash up to the boat, strip off the canopy, whizz down the feeder arm and moor up next to Marks boat so it would be easier to load up rather than the long walk.

She then promptly left with the cash bribe I had given her (well I did need a lift to the boat) to do what women do best and spend the previously mentioned cash bribe.

I decided it would be rude to not pop into the wharf at 10am and say hi to all, and check that the Thatchers was up to it's usual drinking standard.

This is where it starts to get a little fuzzy, unfortunately for me people arrived to fill the boats with water and I was trapped with no way of getting back up the feeder arm, im sure the one boat was there for at least 4 hours (that's what I told the wife they were actually about half an hour) as that's when I decided I should maybe get some fresh air and take a slow cruise.

This I did opening a bottle of beer and slowly at tick over enjoyed the sun all the way to the Bluebell, the concentration that took was exhausting so I decided maybe I needed a cold drink and a toilet break.

Moor up towpath side headed up to the Bluebell, where I bump into Alan the manager, this makes it rude for me to think about leaving as we had so much to catch up on.

I then stayed there for a short whilst till about 5pm and my daughter rings to say she is at Lady Lane with a friend, and can I pick her up as mom (the wife) is going to meet us at the Bluebell for something to eat about 6, and that dad (me) must be very hungry and thirsty after working on the boat since 10am.

Been the doting parent I am I headed back to Lady Lane picked her and a friend up then turned round and went back to the Bluebell, this time mooring on the spare slot on the pub side.

Shoot up to the bar, well maybe stumble, and get a seat half hour before the wife arrives, she then asks how much did you get done? my response was something along the lines of "Who want's a drink".

I then proceeded to order the biggest mixed grill I have ever had and tried unsuccessfully to eat it all.

Now my mind goes blank

Until 3am I wake feeling a little groggy wondering where I am, all the curtains are open and I see a basic silhouette of a bride from the front window, more importantly I drank so little the last day that I am really dangerously dehydrated, I fumble around for the emergency bottle of water I keep for time like these and take a good 1/2 litre slug from the bottle, hmm that actually tasted like Pinot Grigo, ahhh that's because it is.

Deciding I really should turn on a light and find the water I sheepishly put the wine away and drink the 2 litres of water then refill from the tap.

Few more hours kip with the curtains and door still wide open and I awake to realise the bridge is actually the one at the back of the Bluebell and I am still where I failed to eat my huge mixed grill.

Not one to shy from a challenge I fire up the boat about 8am and trundle back to lady lane, I think I might have even given a wave on the way back up the feeder arm, but for some reason much of that is still hazy.

I then proceeded to fit the drawers I meant to fit on the Saturday and met the wife and kids for lunch at the Wharf.

So that is why I wasn't in your video.

I will however be about Saturday doing some more "work" if you see me pop and say hi.

Edited by Kustomcut

Glad to see you have welcomed Kustomcut.

As you rightly say its good to have a variety of boats on the Challenge.

We look forward to seeing you all at the finish if not before!!

The finish is starting to look like a bit of an issue. If we get the best part of thirty boats heading for Hawne Basin while one or two boats are coming out, it's going to be chaos

Richard

The finish is starting to look like a bit of an issue. If we get the best part of thirty boats heading for Hawne Basin while one or two boats are coming out, it's going to be chaos

Richard

Maybe if we did 24 hours straight got to the Basin at 8am Sunday then had a 6 hour break :)

I will however be about Saturday doing some more "work" if you see me pop and say hi.

Yes we did wave to you as you sailed past us and you waved as well.

Not sure about the weather for Sat, wife will only come down if it's nor pouring with rain.

Hope to have a chat with you Sat if we are there.

Maybe if we did 24 hours straight got to the Basin at 8am Sunday then had a 6 hour break smile.png

I don't think there's anything in the rules that says you can't do that.

In the spirit of the challenge, the 6 hour stop over is at night for safety reasons and not disturbing fellow competitors and other canal dwellers

Edited by Proper Job

We shall raft up and walk the plank captain.gif

In all seriousness, do we need to book? I'm guessing we are allowed to stay in the basin on Sunday night?

There are some posts earlier in the thread about letting the boat club know about requirements for overnight mooring etc.

We shall raft up and walk the plank :captain:

There are some posts earlier in the thread about letting the boat club know about requirements for overnight mooring etc.

Well reminded. I've just used the 'Contact Us' link on the Coombeswood Canal Trust website. It wasn't a proper email address though, more of a 'submit your enquiry' kind of message. Hopefully it'll get through to the right person.

In all seriousness, do we need to book? I'm guessing we are allowed to stay in the basin on Sunday night?

I would have assumed given that they agreed to have the event end there that they would expect a good number of the boats to stay there on the Sunday night. Perhaps someone who is connected with Coombeswood Canal Trust could comment on here so everyone knows without asking individually.

I would have assumed given that they agreed to have the event end there that they would expect a good number of the boats to stay there on the Sunday night. Perhaps someone who is connected with Coombeswood Canal Trust could comment on here so everyone knows without asking individually.

I'm hoping Brenda will do that

Richard

After a phone chat with Roy one of the organisers a while ago I think this is the arrangement.

I believe if not all boats will fit into the basin then they can moor outside it along the park. This is considered to be a safe mooring site, especially with so many boats likely to be there.

Access on foot will be over the park, and the trust intend to have someone manning the gate so we can come and go between clubhouse and boats.

They really seem to want us there, even to the extent they are going to put on food in the evening, so I'm sure no boats will, be turned away.

Sue

After a phone chat with Roy one of the organisers a while ago I think this is the arrangement.

I believe if not all boats will fit into the basin then they can moor outside it along the park. This is considered to be a safe mooring site, especially with so many boats likely to be there.

Access on foot will be over the park, and the trust intend to have someone manning the gate so we can come and go between clubhouse and boats.

They really seem to want us there, even to the extent they are going to put on food in the evening, so I'm sure no boats will, be turned away.

Sue

What is the park?