BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

What was up in 2012? Weather, or something else?

Yes, weather was terrible, it tipped it down on the Sunday in particular. It was it bit grim starting off a 4am in the cold and torrential rain.

Edited by john6767

What was up in 2012? Weather, or something else?

The weather was awful. Mainly on the Sunday and the trip home Monday. I also made a mistake I'll never make again: Going down the weed hatch wearing waterproofs, and then raising arms above head height to replace the lid. Parts of me are still cold.

If you stop half way down Gosty Hill tunnel, you can walk along the roof wearing a top hat!!!

Richard

This sounds like the voice of experience. Will it also accommodate a stetson?

Just heard from a chap with a 20ft GRP who is interested in entering the 24 Hour Challenge. He's very brave! I'm sure you will encourage him & make him feel welcome. Being one small boat with all the steel narrowboats could be intimidating. We would like to see all sorts of boats on the BCN.captain.gif

I'm sure you will encourage him & make him feel welcome.

Yes of course we will.

Safe in the knowledge that he can't win in a boat of that length with the scoring system as it is.

Or could he? (40hp outboard and planing hull!)

We'd love nothing better than to join in, what sounds like a really great weekend; however I think we just might struggle with a few of the locks and tunnels .... maybe there will be something similar organized on the wider canals some day.cloud9.gif

Have a Great weekend each and everyone taking part boat.gif

ETA - both spelling and grammar!!

Edited by Bettie Boo

Could somebody please confirm if I'm reading the rules right. I take them as meaning that for a particular stretch of canal as defined on the planning sheets you take the number of miles and multiply them according to the boat length, then add the number of locks and multiply the result by the given bonus of 2 or 3 if appropriate. Is this right?

I have bought magnificent Polish crystal glass tumblers, like, just in case...

biggrin.png

MtB

it could be the new excuses to CM, "i have a taste in fine scotch and need classy crystal to drink it from, making boating too dodgy in case i crash and smash the glasses"

Hello all I'm the newest person to take part in the challenge this year and also the strange individual in the 20ft grp a Dawncraft dandy to be exact previously called Sully .

I have owned the boat for a year and half and love it,we spent a lot of time travelling from lady lane wharf to gas street for overnight stops last year, and we also did lady lane to goldstone wharf the long way via Dudley as the Wolverhampton flight was closed last year, Our boat has just been renamed Carpe Vinum and looking forward to this challenge, although we are aware that the system makes it nigh on impossible to win but we looking to have a great laugh me and hopefully my 2 daughters . Maybe see some if you before the event I have just spent the last hour or so reading all the topic so feel adequately updated.

Welcome to the forum, and to the Challenge! Bearing in mind your new boat name, I'm sure you will get along well with the gang. You may be at a disadvantage length-wise but you will be able to do 4mph when we are dragging the bottom at 2mph so I wouldn't rule yourself out yet!

Hello all I'm the newest person to take part in the challenge this year and also the strange individual in the 20ft grp a Dawncraft dandy to be exact previously called Sully .

I have owned the boat for a year and half and love it,we spent a lot of time travelling from lady lane wharf to gas street for overnight stops last year, and we also did lady lane to goldstone wharf the long way via Dudley as the Wolverhampton flight was closed last year, Our boat has just been renamed Carpe Vinum and looking forward to this challenge, although we are aware that the system makes it nigh on impossible to win but we looking to have a great laugh me and hopefully my 2 daughters . Maybe see some if you before the event I have just spent the last hour or so reading all the topic so feel adequately updated.

Hi,

Are you moored at Lady Lane?

Plus are you moored in the arm as we are as well?

We hope to do the challenge.