What is your "memorable moment" of 2013?

johnmck

Featured Posts

The weather this summer was truly stunning for us all and really enhanced the boating experiance.

Having navigated the Thames, K & A to Bristol, The Wey and then up to Llangollen, basked in pure enjoyment, set me thinking .

What was the defining moment?

Well for me it was July the first. Having visited Poultney weir and reversed into the mouth for a photo shoot in brilliant sunshine, we then began the ascent back onto the canal, sharing the locks with Helen & Ian on N.B. Leo.

As we ascended one of the locks, with a left bend to the next, we were told that a wide beam hotel boat was about to exit the next lock. With little conversation, as the wide beam exited, we moved out and moved port and starboard to allow the wide beam to take the central channel, passed it, then glided together , entering the lock with ner a kiss. T'was poetry in motion.

Does not happen often for me. Of course there were no spectators to this, but for me this was the defining moment of our cruise.

http://nb-triskaideka.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/goodbye-day-or-should-that-be-farewell.html

What was yours?tongue.png

Edited by johnmck

The weather this summer was truly stunning for us all and really enhanced the boating experiance.

Having navigated the Thames, K & A to Bristol, The Wey and then up to Llangollen, basked in pure enjoyment, set me thinking .

What was the defining moment?

Well for me it was July the first. Having visited Poultney weir and reversed into the mouth for a photo shoot in brilliant sunshine, we then began the ascent back onto the canal, sharing the locks with Helen & Ian on N.B. Leo.

As we ascended one of the locks, with a left bend to the next, we were told that a wide beam hotel boat was about to exit the next lock. With little conversation, as the wide beam exited, we moved out and moved port and starboard to allow the wide beam to take the central channel, passed it, then glided together , entering the lock with ner a kiss. T'was poetry in motion.

Does not happen often for me. Of course there were no spectators to this, but for me this was the defining moment of our cruise.

http://nb-triskaideka.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/goodbye-day-or-should-that-be-farewell.html

What was yours?tongue.png

Hanging on for dear life as my wife navigated under Tower Bridge. After a glorious week, the weather that day was foul and a very choppy Thames was made even more choppy by all the trip boats, including the newly inaugurated jet-boat. I had clouted my ribs the previous day so she was steering - a truly exhilarating ride!

Waking up after my first night aboard a canal boat in three decades, and seeing a family of swans on the other side of the cut after a pleasant evening in the pub, after we finally got the boat into the water. Oh, and being mugged by a family of ducks after some food....

Then a pleasant run from Uxbridge to Bulls Bridge to take up my mooring.

There were so many! Setting out on our first really big cruise (18 weeks) after years of being restricted to just a few weeks. Experiencing the many places and waterways that we had the pleasure to visit during our 750 mile cruise. Meeting up with and joining the Cotswolds Canal Cruising Club, a wonderful group of people, but the high point has to be cruising Jigsaw under Tower Bridge on Wednesday 24th July 2013. That for me was awesome!