Reporting over stayers!

Davids

Featured Posts

I didn't mean all CC'rs did I?

You know full well that there is a serious issue where some people live on their boats, remain in a confined area, yet pose as CC'rs. There has been recent discussion regarding some kind of amnesty

really? I think you'll find, one of CRT's "serious issues" at the moment is boats coming out of marinas, "posing" as liveaboards, and not moving.

What recent discussion has there been on an amnesty?

As I have never done this before, could someone let me know how to report over stayers.

The boat across the way has now been here for going on 4 weeks. Late night engine running, chopping wood after midnight and I just obsereved the bloke chuck a cup full of diesel into the water, has now got my back up to the point where they need to be dealt with.

Thanks all

David

Can't be bothered to read the whole thread, but basically I'm with you. In general I've nothing against most overstayers especially in the middle of winter - live and let live. However, if they're also inconsiderate and a pain in the arse then by all means report them.

You know, the lovely thing about having a moveable home is that I can move it if neighbours are being unreasonable. Much less stressful.

Not so easy if you have a residential mooring as the OP has, though.

I wonder how the original issue was resolved?

I, of course, have never attacked anyone, violently or otherwise. At least one of the smarter correspondents recognised that. I wonder how many of the supporters of this clearly ignorant rule flouter would like the same noise next to their houses for 4 weeks!

I follow the 'RULES' (and in this case, laws of the land) and rarely run anything noisy after 5 pm. And we watch telly all night, and only occasionally overstay if we're completely isolated. 'Why can't others do likewise', is my recurring question!

I follow the 'RULES' (and in this case, laws of the land) and rarely run anything noisy after 5 pm. And we watch telly all night, and only occasionally overstay if we're completely isolated. 'Why can't others do likewise', is my recurring question!

Because many people aren't considerate to others. Unfortunately this is true in all areas of life. Some people seem to think that the way to live one's life is to take and get away with as much as they can and sod everyone else. Surely you've encountered this before?

I never run anything noisy at all even during the day. My engine is quiet and so is my generator. I've no wish to disturb other people.

Not so easy if you have a residential mooring as the OP has, though.

Agreed, but even so, nobody is forcing the OP to stay on his residential mooring. He has the option to move his boat and live somewhere else for a couple of weeks.

Not an ideal solution but a pragmatic one, and not one available to land dwellers with an ars*hole neighbour.

MtB

Really, then why not say so.

You'r post assumes that only CC'rs are a problem on the waterways where in fact there are many different parts of the boating community that break rules also. It a shame you feel the need to specifically name just one part of the boating community that requires some kind of control by C&RT

Pose as CC're :lol: what are you on :lol:

Deery oh me what a load of cobblers :lol: you clearly have a problem with CC'rs :lol:

No problem at all with CC'rs. I am not affected by them in the slightest and apologise if I offended you or anyone else. I've modified my posts to remove references to CC'rs, but can't modify any of the quotes.

Looks like moving on and leaving engine abusers to carry on regardless is the only real answer to the particular question.

Edited by Richard10002

No problem at all with CC'rs. I am not affected by them in the slightest and apologise if I offended you or anyone else. I've modified my posts to remove references to CC'rs, but can't modify any of the quotes.

Looks like moving on and leaving engine abusers to carry on regardless is the only real answer to the particular question.

Hi Richard

Fair enough It's just CC'rs seem to get a lot of stick unfairly IMO.

We CC pay our dues and don't break the rules and the vast majority of CC'rs do the same. It's not just CC'rs who break rules though as Jenlyn pointed out.

I do agree though that C&RT could do more with regard to antisocial boaters, at the end of the day ASB isn't accepted on land so shouldn't be on the water. And should C&RT get a couple complaints or more with regard to the same boat, then possibly some kind of warning could be issued.

Personally over stayers and any other miner infractions don't bother us, but if someone wants to be abusive and behave antisocially by running engines or even playing load music on a regular occasion though, then I'll have no compunction what so ever in reporting them if my own efforts fail. If they upset others and others take a similar stance, then I'm sure C&RT would have to act in some way or another.

I wonder in the situation of the type moorings mentioned by the OP weather complaints to environmental health would be advisable.

Edited by Julynian

Fair enough It's just CC'rs seem to get a lot of stick unfairly IMO.

Bless!

To be honest I see far more complaints from ccers about being unfairly treated than I do unfair complaints about ccers.

Apart from the odd idiot displaying envy at the ccing lifestyle I think ccers get as much respect and leeway as any other legitimate boater and, considering the recent concessions to ccers, I think the "poor hard done by" act is wearing a bit thin.

(I was a ccer for years by the way).

• Greenie 3

I'm a current CC, and plan to remain so for the foreseeable future. If either myself or Mrs Loafer become infirm or otherwise disabled, we would seek a proper mooring, preferably close to medical attention. I accept that not everyone can afford a proper mooring, but does the 'charity' aspect of CRT involve providing charitable free housing for the poor? I think not. Maybe we should bring out the collection box or something, but I don't think that blatant disregard for the rules of our land should be defended. Especially when they combine this with aggression or abuse. Is it not true that 'genuine' poor people, justifiably on benefits, can have a residential mooring paid for by local authorities? (Er, by the way, I wasn't really being aggressive in my earlier 'thumping' post - I just sometimes wish I had the option, mainly for defence purposes!

Mind you, when I get into power, there's going to be a few changes! I spend most of the last hour of each trip trying to assess who's going to be quiet and who isn't. It's a big issue for us and I can't prevent it from raising my already high blood pressure.

APPEAL TO NOISY BOATERS: Can you put a sign up somewhere, identifying you as a 'noisy boater', and thus give me a few extra years of sanity! I would quietly move on and thump no-one!

APPEAL TO NOISY BOATERS: Can you put a sign up somewhere, identifying you as a 'noisy boater', and thus give me a few extra years of sanity! I would quietly move on and thump no-one!

Seen one or two boats displaying such notices. Call me an old cynic, but it looks like a good ploy to keep potential neighbours away even if you are not actually that noisy.

George ex nb Alton retired

Bless!

To be honest I see far more complaints from ccers about being unfairly treated than I do unfair complaints about ccers.

Apart from the odd idiot displaying envy at the ccing lifestyle I think ccers get as much respect and leeway as any other legitimate boater and, considering the recent concessions to ccers, I think the "poor hard done by" act is wearing a bit thin.

But I thought CCers were a persecuted minority and a "vulnerable group"? tongue.png

Bless!

Every time we slow down a bit and take our time we are constantly and so called jokingly accused of being bridge hoppers - despite the fact we have clearly travelled a lot of the system in the 4 1/2 years we've been ccing.

It really does get very very tiresome. So many boaters live in a black and white world where you are either retired and cruising the network at your leisure or you have a job and are therefore bridge hoppers. There are many shades of grey in between (I know you lived in one) and I do get fed up with explaining yet again that we are taking our time this year because we want to explore the system properly, not just charge around it.

I'd never take on the "poor hard done by" act but it's constant - even from friends! - and it's bloody aggravating.

Oh and to any forum friends of mine - stop it please. It really isn't funny any more.

I think if anyone says something horrible about CC-ers ever again, they should be banished from the forum, and their boat tarred and feathered. ;-)

I think CC is an upstanding and effective way of managing the situation - it should / could be implemented an enforced better but this website explains it better than I can

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/congestioncharging/

For example every time you pass South of 'Watford Gap' you are entering the CC Zone and will have a 'fine'added to your C&RT 'account', there will be small exclusion Zones to allow those who cross the line in error to reach the next winding hole, those never leaving the South will have a monthly CC surcharge added.

Anywhere North of Watford Gap is 'free' and if you spend more than 12monhs in the non-CC Zone you receive a CC 'credit' into your C&RT 'account'

I'm sure there are grey areas but you are welcome to suggest any areas that need tightening up or amending.

Happy new year !!!

Surely, AdE, your proposal would appeal to many more people if the rules were reversed, anyone wishing to moor/travel South of Watford Gap would not be charged anything, and folks in the North of the Country would need to pay an additional licence fee, agree to wear a flat cap (irrespective of gender of wearer), keep at least one whippet and own a pair if genuine mill worker's/miner's clogs (Morriss clogs won't qualify), AND eat pie n peas at least once a week.

Thus encouraging the majority of folks near The Capital (good for work prospects, wealth and culture) and leaving the grim, forbidding North to us folk that know no better?

Edited by Grace & Favour

Every time we slow down a bit and take our time we are constantly and so called jokingly accused of being bridge hoppers - despite the fact we have clearly travelled a lot of the system in the 4 1/2 years we've been ccing.

Being a wooden boat enthusiast I have no sympathy...

We choose an "alternative lifestyle" (I hate that phrase but I'm too tired and full of cold to think of something else) and we take the flak that goes with it...hence my point about the envious who make comments.

There's no point whining about it to the extent that many (though not all) ccers seem to do and there's certainly no point starting an organisation that deliberately segregates oneself and then moan because people point and make comments.

• Greenie 1

I have often heard the 'my generator isn't noisy' scam, and every one that says It generaly sits at the other end of their boat watching TV. Of course you are right it is not noisy where you are, but to the chap sitting opposite your exhaust it can be a thunder storm. There is no such thing a whisper gen at night. all sound travels further than you think.

The rules are simple no engines or generators after 8. They do not say 'unless you get home from work at 9'. The OP has a valid complaint on several levels.

Appeasement (live and let live) never works. The victim always looses.

I think if anyone says something horrible about CC-ers ever again, they should be banished from the forum, and their boat tarred and feathered. ;-)

Oh Tar and feathers ? that would be an interesting look for a narrow boat. :)