Unexpected wildlife in Birmingham

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Travelling round the Icknield Port Loop on Sunday, surrounded by industrial sites and only a mile or so from Birmingham city centre, I was amazed to spot a Kingfisher darting along right next to my boat. I really wouldn't have thought I would ever see one in such an urban location.

I'm told there's also terrapins on that stretch too, but I've never spotted one.

Anyone else had any unlikely sightings?

It always amazes me how rural much of the BCN network is. You're passing through heavily populated and industrialised areas but the canals are often like nature corridors. We saw quite a few herons on the BCN this year, and a kingfisher near the bottom of Perry Barr locks.

I think the little used parts of the BCN are attractive for kingfishers because the water is so clear it's easier for them to seek out fish. Also the general lack of disturbance from boats probably helps too.

We saw an egret on the River Severn this year. Perhaps they aren't that rare but it was a first for us.

I think the little used parts of the BCN are attractive for kingfishers because the water is so clear it's easier for them to seek out fish. Also the general lack of disturbance from boats probably helps too.

Maybe true but the Icknield Loop has very dirty, polluted water and is a very well used stretch as it's on the main route of all the Birmingham trip boats. That's partly why I was so surprised to see it.

Thrilled to read Dave Ps post. The Icknield loop is a most surprising spot for kingfishers especially with the work going on round there. Hard to imagine where they could even perch and harder still to imagine where they could nest. The good news must be that if they are there then presumably plenty of them nearby too.

I totally agree with comfortably numb, the waterways of Birmingham are terrific corridors for wildlife. The Ashtead and Garrison route out from the city are full of interesting habitats for wildlife. Compare that with further out of the city, the hedges have been removed leaving huge fields with no shelter for any creatures.

Thrilled to read Dave Ps post. The Icknield loop is a most surprising spot for kingfishers especially with the work going on round there. Hard to imagine where they could even perch and harder still to imagine where they could nest.

But there they also have access to the Rotten Park Reservoir which presumably provides much more habitat opportunity.

Hi all

Saw a kingfisher this morning en route from Blowers Green lock to the Waterfront moorings just above Merry Hill on the Dudley Canal. It's a lovely green lung in an industrialised area. Boater that bit many times but this was a first!

If anyone's interested, the Dudley Canal Trust are holding an event at their headquarters, the Pumphouse in Peartree Lane Dudley next Saturday from 11am till 3pm, to celebrate improvements to local towpath. This will have a heritage theme about it, I'm there waggling paintbrush as part of it, along with others. See you there?

Dave

Mrs T didn't mention it, but a couple of years ago we saw a kingfisher on the way into Brum from Fazeley. Not out in the country, that's normal, no it was just short of Salford Junction, right under Spaghetti Junction on the M6!

I assume it was in transit, looking for a better spot to settle!

Hi all

Saw a kingfisher this morning en route from Blowers Green lock to the Waterfront moorings just above Merry Hill on the Dudley Canal. It's a lovely green lung in an industrialised area. Boater that bit many times but this was a first!

If anyone's interested, the Dudley Canal Trust are holding an event at their headquarters, the Pumphouse in Peartree Lane Dudley next Saturday from 11am till 3pm, to celebrate improvements to local towpath. This will have a heritage theme about it, I'm there waggling paintbrush as part of it, along with others. See you there?

Dave

Then I must be right by you. I'm moored up on the windy waterfront too. Didn't see any kingfishers on the way in though, sadly.

Anyone else had any unlikely sightings?

Camels and elephants near Hunton Bridge on the GU.

Circus was in town and they were grazing in a field next to the canal, but they hadn't erected the tent yet so it gave me a shock as I went past!

Edited by blackrose

Spon Lane Branch on this years BCN Challenge

w3dd.jpg

Just looking at the picture it is quite deceptive, yes there is an industrial building there, but could be lots of places more rural . Not until you look on Google Maps that you can see how (post) industrial this location is.

I've seen Herons in central London. They're everywhere.

Edited by blackrose

How far have the ring necked parakeets reached?

There are thousands of them in south and s/w London.

Ring Necked Parakeets have had attempts at breeding as far north as mid Scotland. Recently feathers found on a Birmingham nature reserve have been shown to be genetically linked to the London population. However the main breeding area is still in the South East.

Monk Parakeets are still in very small numbers (I think about 140 pairs) mainly round Borehamwood and the Isle of Dogs.

Ring Necked Parakeets have had attempts at breeding as far north as mid Scotland. Recently feathers found on a Birmingham nature reserve have been shown to be genetically linked to the London population. However the main breeding area is still in the South East.

Monk Parakeets are still in very small numbers (I think about 140 pairs) mainly round Borehamwood and the Isle of Dogs.

This is not an exageration - I think they are probably the most common bird we see in our garden. They do flock however. Having said that, this year the numbers are about 25% of what we saw last year. No idea why.

This is not an exageration - I think they are probably the most common bird we see in our garden. They do flock however. Having said that, this year the numbers are about 25% of what we saw last year. No idea why.

I assume you mean the Ring necked parakeets and I can quite believe it having watched their flocks.

I hadn't heard of the decrease perhaps (going by the genetics of the Birmingham find) they are on holiday elsewhere biggrin.png