Jump to content
DandGNWales

What Length of Ropes and is there a best type

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Fly Navy said:

98 replies about the correct length of rope! You couldn't make it up.

Is the Narrowboat fraternity really this intellectual?

Is this the answer to life?

 

I'm going to watch some paint drying...................

99 now.....might be better to watch the paint than to waste time posting irrelevant stuff like this.....enjoy the fumes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fly Navy said:

98 replies about the correct length of rope! You couldn't make it up.

Is the Narrowboat fraternity really this intellectual?

Is this the answer to life?

 

I'm going to watch some paint drying...................

Come back to us when your centre line is round your prop

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fly Navy said:

98 replies about the correct length of rope! You couldn't make it up.

Is the Narrowboat fraternity really this intellectual?

Is this the answer to life?

 

I'm going to watch some paint drying...................

Yes we are  Suggest watching grass grow,more interesting than paint drying,and no fumes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We really need to get new centre lines for our 58ft boat - the others are looking shabby. The current ones are 10 metres long, but we find them a little short as they are just really long enough to step off the boat with at the stern - not long enough to throw up/tie around a bollard in a double lock etc...

 

I was thing maybe we'd need to go for something like 12m, possibly longer - any recommendations for length?  is 15m ott??

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I was thing maybe we'd need to go for something like 12m, possibly longer - any recommendations for length?  is 15m ott??

If in doubt, go longer.....you can always make them shorter with an eye/back splice or a propeller/sharp knife.

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, robtheplod said:

We really need to get new centre lines for our 58ft boat - the others are looking shabby. The current ones are 10 metres long, but we find them a little short as they are just really long enough to step off the boat with at the stern - not long enough to throw up/tie around a bollard in a double lock etc...

 

I was thing maybe we'd need to go for something like 12m, possibly longer - any recommendations for length?  is 15m ott??

I use a 12m for the centre line on a 57ft.  Gives a few coils spare when throwing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rebotco said:

Maximum length of a centre rope is Distance from ring to prop minus 1".

Which makes it pretty much useless if you are singlehanded on a 40’ boat in a deep lock. Learn not to drop it in the water.

  • Greenie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Which makes it pretty much useless if you are singlehanded on a 40’ boat in a deep lock. Learn not to drop it in the water.

True, but as the OP boat is 60 ft that's somewhat irrelevant to him.

Even more so now, as this thread started about 7 years ago!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.