Use Of Fenders In Locks

Phil.

Featured Posts

In normal circumstances I believe it is good practice to share locks with another boat to save water.

My question is would it be ok to decline to share a lock with another boat if the other boat was using fenders.

Whilst I would always try to make efficient use of locks my instinct would be to decline to share a lock with a boat that insisted using fenders for safety reasons or is this being over cautious.

what is it with people and fenders?? seen a boat today putting fenders down before he went into lock, then strugling like feck to get them out as they were snagging against the wall, must say they were a bit oversized.

we would,nt use fenders in any lock double or single, lets be honest the boat aint going to fall off the end of the world is it????????

oooh my paint!!!!!

Funny that. The only time I would use fenders in a lock is between two boats

Richard

Yes, I don't know what will some people will do if they ever manage to venture off the canals onto rivers like the Thames with big locks, where boaters regularly put fenders between boats.

My question is would it be ok to decline to share a lock with another boat if the other boat was using fenders.

Of course. Nobody can force you to take your boat through a lock.

Edited by blackrose

If the other boat is a plastic cruiser, this is normal and preferable. If a narrowboat, its not necessary but its no problem provided they aren't huge. Anyway, it often provides entertainment when the fenders get ripped off as the boat exits the lock etc. A boat we shared a lock with earlier this year managed to smash a Nav light with a fender rope as they came into the lock. Shame, but not totally unexpected when you mix dangly things with heavy boats moving in and out of locks.

I don't really have a problem if someone wants to chooses to use fenders in a wide lock, most wide locks have plenty of clearance for them to do that (thinking mainly northern GU here). I guess if you know that the particular lock is very tight for 2 boats, then mention it to them.

Having just cruised with a narrowboat, tug, trip boat and bloody pontoon, I have to say they are a pain in the bum!

We managed to get wedged the only time the crew forgot to lift the fenders up, at the only lock with a load of people outside. Still we gave them an entertaining hour or so.clapping.gif

The only time I use fenders is when moored so I'm not woken by the sound of my boat scratching the armco as an early cruiser goes past.

I don't use them in narrow locks because I don't want to get stuck, and I don't use them in wide locks because the rubbing strake is good enough, and was designed for purpose. On the very rare occasion I share a wide lock with a GRP boat, I expect him/her to put down whatever fenders they see fit. Sharing with another narrowboat, I prefer if they don't use fenders, because they are not neccessary, but if they do, I wouldn't show off unless they got out those huge plastic things - most wide locks are well able to take two boats and a few inches of rope fender.

What is even worse is cruising with fenders down.....

Mike

After living on an online Thames mooring for 3 years and looking out my windows at all kinds of passing craft, I'd estimate that at least 90% cruised with their fenders down. I'm talking about narrowboats, dutch barges, big steel cruisers, plastic cruisers, , passenger craft, EA maintenance tugs, etc. What is viewed by some as a cardinal sin on the canals isn't necessarily on other waterways.

Also if someone on a narrowboat is going onto the Thames single-handed I'd say they might be wise to keep their fenders down. It would be far more hazardous to leave the helm to deploy fenders as you're approaching a lock along with a bunch of plastic boats. Yes, they will probably have their own fenders but you may need yours too.

Edited by blackrose

If the other boat is a plastic cruiser, this is normal and preferable. If a narrowboat, its not necessary but its no problem provided they aren't huge. Anyway, it often provides entertainment when the fenders get ripped off as the boat exits the lock etc. A boat we shared a lock with earlier this year managed to smash a Nav light with a fender rope as they came into the lock. Shame, but not totally unexpected when you mix dangly things with heavy boats moving in and out of locks.

When we launched our boat just over 12 years ago I made two rope fenders and have never bought a fender since as I have picked up at least 8 slab fenders, loads of pipe finders and I dont have a clue how many rope ones. I normally manage to sell a few each year for charity.

So can I just ask you all to keep buying and using fenders in locks so my supply doesn't dry up.

When we launched our boat just over 12 years ago I made two rope fenders and have never bought a fender since as I have picked up at least 8 slab fenders, loads of pipe finders and I dont have a clue how many rope ones. I normally manage to sell a few each year for charity.

So can I just ask you all to keep buying and using fenders in locks so my supply doesn't dry up.

Likewise, can you all keep using windlasses to work locks please. I've picked up a fair collection that have been dropped or forgotten.

After living on an online Thames mooring for 3 years and looking out my windows at all kinds of passing craft, I'd estimate that at least 90% cruised with their fenders down. I'm talking about narrowboats, dutch barges, big steel cruisers, plastic cruisers, , passenger craft, EA maintenance tugs, etc. What is viewed by some as a cardinal sin on the canals isn't necessarily on other waterways.

Also if someone on a narrowboat is going onto the Thames single-handed I'd say they might be wise to keep their fenders down. It would be far more hazardous to leave the helm to deploy fenders as you're approaching a lock along with a bunch of plastic boats. Yes, they will probably have their own fenders but you may need yours too.

The notion of raising one's fenders makes sense when leaving harbour and going out to sea. Nothing to do with "Good Form", more because they rattle around when one's on the plane - don'cha know. What makes life amusing is that many Thames cruisers (of the large white variety) pretend that each lock is a new harbour, so they go through the fender routine. Happens especially around the Henley fortnight when folks come up to parade their boats.....

If for no other reason good size fenders are IMHO essential on the Thames -

• Lock layby structures have large unforgiving rubbing strakes which were designed for large barges (working variety) and many are above the gunnel - so coming alongside scrapes the cabin sides and as the level changes when the locks fill / empty catches the top bend as well.
  • Many locks have chains dangling down - for unpowered boats to grab - these likewise chew up paint.

A couple of man sized fenders (or three) on either side of your boat can save a lot of grief.

Our fenders get used when mooring and that's it, the only one that is in use all the time is the stern one, the bow gets raised in locks.

Even on the Thames we don't deploy fenders as blacking is sacrificial

There are two pipe fenders stuck out of the dredged mud on the offside at Kings Norton Stop Lock if someone wants to moor up and retrieve them..

Regards

Pete

The notion of raising one's fenders makes sense when leaving harbour and going out to sea. Nothing to do with "Good Form", more because they rattle around when one's on the plane - don'cha know. What makes life amusing is that many Thames cruisers (of the large white variety) pretend that each lock is a new harbour, so they go through the fender routine. Happens especially around the Henley fortnight when folks come up to parade their boats.....

If for no other reason good size fenders are IMHO essential on the Thames -

• Lock layby structures have large unforgiving rubbing strakes which were designed for large barges (working variety) and many are above the gunnel - so coming alongside scrapes the cabin sides and as the level changes when the locks fill / empty catches the top bend as well.
  • Many locks have chains dangling down - for unpowered boats to grab - these likewise chew up paint.
A couple of man sized fenders (or three) on either side of your boat can save a lot of grief.

We don't cruise with our fenders down as they tend to swing around and scratch the grp. Nothing to do with good form and much more to do with less polishing come spring and lift out time.

Personally I don't like to see boats cruising with fenders down or with excessive amounts of fenders, lets face it however many you have they won't be in the right place should a collision occur, but each to their own.

Our fenders get used when mooring and that's it, the only one that is in use all the time is the stern one, the bow gets raised in locks.

Even on the Thames we don't deploy fenders as blacking is sacrificial

Our fenders get used when moored up on the bank side only and in locks where we will fender both sides.

We don't expect narrowboats to fender up if we are sharing the locks we use our own.

We don't leave fenders down on the non bank side of the boat even if we expect to be rafted too as that is the responsibility of the boat that is rafting up to sort out.

In the 1950s, when my parents started hiring boats on the river Thames, the instruction from the boat yard was to not leave fenders out when entering or leaving locks as they can get caught in the gates. I should add that they were wooden boats in those days

(W Bates of Chertsey - still looking for a copy of their brochure from that time).

We only use fenders when moored.

Dave

In normal circumstances I believe it is good practice to share locks with another boat to save water.

Whilst I would always try to make efficient use of locks my instinct would be to decline to share a lock with a boat that insisted using fenders for safety reasons or is this being over cautious.

Before they fixed the gates at Stenson lock on the T&M so that the bottoms ones opened fully it was simply impossible to get out the lock if the boats were anything around 60 feet more more and had their fenders down. I believe this has now been rectified.

There are other locks like this too so if you do go in with them down you need to be prepared to lift them in order to get past the gates.

Obviously various boaters do things differently and that's fine. The often repeated mantra about narrowboats not using fenders in canal locks is right and it's repeated for good reason. Apart from that situation the choice of whether to have fenders deployed or not is simply personal preference. There is no wrong or right.

Edited by blackrose