£185 Windlass

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

This one hasn't taken off so far.

That's the one I linked to in my post Alan. The photo in my post is configured as a link to the same ebay listing. Looks like I was trying to be too damned clever as ditchcrawler saw the need to post the same link too!

Can someone who understands e-Bay, (I'm not sure I do!), explain the fact that subsequent bids to the £30 starting price all show as £30. That is we have 3 times £30 showing. (I'm sure it will be obvious when someone explains it!....)

I'm an old hand at ebay and bidding figures/histories can a mystery to me too. One ebay rule states that if two bids of the same amount are received, the earlier one takes priority. As the minimum amount one can bid rises by a bid increment, it is hard to see how two bids the same can be made, except perhaps if they are submitted simultaneously and the ebay software accepts them both. Maybe this happened here.

MtB

if one person makes a bid at 30 then puts another on higher then he does not 'outbid' himself

this happens a lot in fact you could put 10 bids on higher and higher and if you are the only bidder it stays at the start price... or 100

thats aiui

I think with collectables :rolleyes: it is more common and may be a way to slow down any last minute snipi

or just the more times you look at it the more it is worth in your head :lol:

actually now there are 2 bids, by one bidder so they seem to have retracted one

on the brass windlass I mean

maybe with beer goggles on they put in a silly bid for £175 or something then thought better of it

actually now there are 2 bids, by one bidder so they seem to have retracted one

on the brass windlass I mean

maybe with beer goggles on they put in a silly bid for £175 or something then thought better of it

No it's actually a tactic some people use to discourage other bidders.

Increasing your opening bid gives the impression that you are a keen bidder so there's no point competing.

A bid retraction would be indicated.

Right, thats it, I am starting on the patterm this afternoon, all being well I will have a few for sale, in bronze, in about a fortnight, I`ll post a message on here and the price will not be as daft as those on e bay, If I sell any on e bay the price will be as daft as the market will bear! please don`t all rush at once, form an orderly queue and wait till the castings have cooled down.

Are you going anywhere with this project?

Richard

No it's actually a tactic some people use to discourage other bidders.

Increasing your opening bid gives the impression that you are a keen bidder so there's no point competing.

A bid retraction would be indicated.

ah thats why, ta for that

odd tactic takes all sorts I suppose

Nice to use but an expensive non ferrous windlass is gone for good if you drop it in, maybe you could put a steel bolt in the end or something to catch with a magnet. I don't like seeing grown men looking into the water and sobbing.

Friend of mine put a jubilee clip around their aluminium one for that same reason.

Friend of mine put a jubilee clip around their aluminium one for that same reason.

Have they tried picking it up with a magnet? I put one around an ally windlass but just took it off again as it was no use.

When a friend of mine threw one in, we got it out with a keb without any problems.

We also pulled out this at the same time ......

RIMG1487-2.jpg

Have they tried picking it up with a magnet? I put one around an ally windlass but just took it off again as it was no use.

When a friend of mine threw one in, we got it out with a keb without any problems.

We also pulled out this at the same time ......

RIMG1487-2.jpg

that might be a rare guard mesh, put it on ebay :wink:

there are magnets about which will easily lift an alloy windlass with a jubilee clip on it or even an m6 nut cabletied to the handle

I think you may be looking at a very genuine "Cooke" guard barrier there - I hope you hung on to it.

The nonsense continues, (same seller as the Cooke)....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Canalboat-Narrowboat-Canal-Lock-Key-Windlass-/151013591259?pt=UK_Collectables_Nautical&hash=item23291c88db

Already up to £12-50 + £5 p&p for the most basic of cast iron small eyed windlasses from maybe the 1970s - standard fodder on every hire boat, and I think the eye would be too small for the standardised spindle size of today, (wouldn't it!).

I may need to go and fit a better padlock to my shed! :lol:

$T2eC16h,!)!E9s2fDwrYBRRbi2ke5!~~60_12.JPG

Already up to £12-50 + £5 p&p for the most basic of cast iron small eyed windlasses from maybe the 1970s - standard fodder on every hire boat, and I think the eye would be too small for the standardised spindle size of today, (wouldn't it!).

I use one of those (albeit mine is chromed). They are nice to use. The eye is slightly on the small side but I rarely find a paddle it can't be used on.

I've got quite a few in the shed - mine already has a padlock on it :rolleyes:

Quick update on making bronze windlasses, the weather has been so horrible that I can`t do much, the furnace is outside to avoid fumes, CO, and becoming dead and it`s just a mound in the snow at the moment. I`ve done a few in aluminium and I`m happy with the pattern so with luck and sunny weather (!) I should have something to show at the end of next week.

I think you may be looking at a very genuine "Cooke" guard barrier there - I hope you hung on to it.

The nonsense continues, (same seller as the Cooke)....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Canalboat-Narrowboat-Canal-Lock-Key-Windlass-/151013591259?pt=UK_Collectables_Nautical&hash=item23291c88db

$T2eC16h,!)!E9s2fDwrYBRRbi2ke5!~~60_12.JPG

Thats a small eye BW windlass made in the 1950's-late 60's, were very common, nice angled throw fits all the BCN locks.

Must have struck lucky. Last year I persuaded Rose Narrowboats to part with this for £30. At the time I thought I had paid "over the odds".

Perhaps not.

It has a 6" throw.

dscf4945u.jpg

Thats a "Neales No1" copy made by Boatmans Cabin Co, Rose was one of our regular customers, it will be LG2 bronze cast in Wolverhampton. £30 bargain!

Quick update on making bronze windlasses, the weather has been so horrible that I can`t do much, the furnace is outside to avoid fumes, CO, and becoming dead and it`s just a mound in the snow at the moment. I`ve done a few in aluminium and I`m happy with the pattern so with luck and sunny weather (!) I should have something to show at the end of next week.

I'm the other side of Barrow from you, don't think you'll be doing anything next week!! Tried to dig the car out this morning and got seriously stuck. Then spent twice as long trying to dig it back in!!!!! Forecast is for more and cold all week. But you'll already know that. :glare:

Don't forget to have your own little "Bee" embossed on them to authenticate them as originals

ebay no 121086229044

:lol:

what a surprise.. not

Direct link

THe galvanised, unchromed, version of these used to be, I think charged at 12/6d to anyone who lost one at the hire firm where I had a Saturday job in 1971. (So 62.5 pence).

Perhaps I should have bought a stack, if "even in an un chromed state" [they] "are rare rare to find"!

Bids on that bronze one now increasing....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Brass-Canal-Windlass-Lock-Key-/111033878347?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item19da22874b

Edited by alan_fincher

its got to be a windup, I could engrave my chrome windlass with ernie thomas or whatever doesn't mean it was his

lol

I think the cooke was worth ten times more than this joke

I think it is in deadly earnest, and is either the owner or the manager at Norbury Wharf, possibly.

Both Simon and David have accounts on here, I think, and although I can't recall either posting recently, either could certainly be watching.

I'd suggest you don't say anything too rude about the expectation for this item, if you don't want to hear from a possible owner!

Perhaps I should have bought a stack,

I've got quite a good stash of them in the shed both chromed and galv'. I think I should put a few of them up for sale.

I gave a chrome one away a few weeks ago.

Edited by Speedwheel