£185 Windlass

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Just another question - I've been looking at the H NEAL thread and, I hate to ask but, how do you know if it is a H NEAL windlass or not. I can see no markings on the images posted. What should one look for?

This is mine found on the Oxford canal while I was working.dscf0023rg.jpg

"I have just been talking to Sara re her bronze windlass on eBay and I fail to see what it has to do with a NEALE [sic] No 2 windlass.

Is NEALE different to a NEAL N2. If I could put photos on this site I would which might help".

"

The pattern for that bronze windlass was a Neal No2 we borrowed off John Jinks many years ago. Its a "Boatmans Cabin Co" product from the 1980/90's. I supplied it to Sarah's dad..

Hi Mr Hogg, If my H.NEAL is real then the one that was use a pattern was not a Neal number 2 as the angles are not the same and the throw is longer unless all Mr Neal's windlass were called number 2 regardless of size etc. I have had a good look at Sarah's and she has kindly sent some more pictures with a ruler for scale which helps. So are here other H Neal windlasses ie. N1s or 3s or what? Or is a Harry Neal windlass just a generic name for a certain pattern/ style? Any ideas?

Sarah's bronze windlass look a lot like mine but mine have the arrow mark.

see my images

fittie

Hi Fittie,

There's a step by step guide to posting photo's here; Posting images.

But if you have prints or slides they will first need to be 'scanned' into the computer to make them accessible as a 'file'.

Shout if you get stuck.

Derek

Thank you - got it!

Just another question - I've been looking at the H NEAL thread and, I hate to ask but, how do you know if it is a H NEAL windlass or not. I can see no markings on the images posted. What should one look for?

This is mine found on the Oxford canal while I was working.dscf0023rg.jpg

Bloody hell I've got one exactly like that. I thought H Neal was the owners name, not the makers name. Thanks

Darren

dscf0022s.jpgbb

This is my H NEAL N2 with my old bronze windlass

Yours looks like one of ours too. The pattern had a slight acute angle but yours may have been straightened by someone, I still have some new ones here and they are angled. We made copies of Neals No1 and 2 but not the 3 (Ladies windlass). However over the years I came accross several differing lengths so I think you will find variations. The No1 had the most acute angle of all of them. Whilst Cooke and Neal were well known there were many other manufacturers, for insatnce how many triangular headed windlass are still around? They were for the draw off paddles on the BCN.

I haven't quite got the hang of all this yet - this is the missing image.

Yours looks like one of ours too. The pattern had a slight acute angle but yours may have been straightened by someone, I still have some new ones here and they are angled. We made copies of Neals No1 and 2 but not the 3 (Ladies windlass). However over the years I came accross several differing lengths so I think you will find variations. The No1 had the most acute angle of all of them. Whilst Cooke and Neal were well known there were many other manufacturers, for insatnce how many triangular headed windlass are still around? They were for the draw off paddles on the BCN.

I've had the bronze from new and is as is - no work done but they are different sizes as well. could you post images of n1 and 3 as I have never seen one.

cheers. Did you make the bronze windlasses with the arrow mark? Cheers, Paul

dscf0023f.jpg

I have a bronze with an arrow,Laurence reckons:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

'Laurence Hogg', on 28 Feb 2013 - 22:44, said:snapback.png

The windlass with the arrow in your picture is one made by Selwyn Jordan at Keays dock, they are very rare to find.

I haven't quite got the hang of all this yet - this is the missing image.

I've had the bronze from new and is as is - no work done but they are different sizes as well. could you post images of n1 and 3 as I have never seen one.

cheers. Did you make the bronze windlasses with the arrow mark? Cheers, Paul

dscf0023f.jpg

Theres a picture of a No1 in bronze in my gallery on here - see members gallery "system in blue".

The arrow is a Selwyn Jordan (Keays dock) one and is quite rare.

There is another bronze windlass which looks identical to the one discussed on this thread on eBay currently. It has the arrow that apparently identifies it as coming from Keays Dock.

E bay item 161008094709

Linky

Amusing that they say they have never used it - if it is an 1 1/8" one, I'd say there isn't a lot you can use it on these days.

I remember when my Dad was the lock keeper at Berkhamstead he had a wonderful racket going. If someone lost their windless, the lock keeper was the first person you went to to try and get a replacement. Of course he always had one which he charged about £5.00 for. During the sale he'd casually enquire as to where the original had been lost, and then, the moment they were gone, he was off with his bike, a rake, and a flipping great magnet to fish it out and then sell on to the next unfortunate. £5.00? If only he knew. He recently gave his last one to my wife a gift.

• 3 weeks later...

there is another very nice hand forged iron one on too from the same seller as that nice cooke and the neal one a while back.

looks like it may be Fellows Morton and Co Ld but not sure on that.

Two more:

$T2eC16hHJIIE9qTYM,ryBRZtf,392!~~60_12.J

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Bronze-Windlass-Lock-Key-Large-Square-Hole-Tapers-3-4-to-3-1-cm-/190823938294?pt=UK_Collectables_Nautical&hash=item2c6dfe38f6#ht_4707wt_1162

$T2eC16R,!)EE9s2ugO(VBRZthjJ50g~~60_12.J

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Bronze-Windlass-Lock-Key-Small-Square-Hole-Tapers-2-6-to-2-2-cm-/200914483758?pt=UK_Collectables_Nautical&hash=item2ec76fba2e#ht_4416wt_1162

Buy it now £125 each. Silly prices IMHO but good luck to the seller if he / she can get that.

Plus

$T2eC16J,!y8E9s2fifk!BRgSGi7O!w~~60_12.J

ETA removed link as now sold. Is a mini one.

Up to £18 ?????

Edited by Ray T

I didn't know you could get metric ones?

• 4 months later...

Any good to anyone.

http://bit.ly/14TIoGh

http://bit.ly/13ZDnPc

Darren

The first one is Cheshire size, so too small to fit most spindles now - as the listing says, 'display only', also some brass/bronze windlasses are not strong enough for serious use.

The second is a 'pocket size' GU windlass, strong men only need apply ;)

Vendor is Laurence Hogg of this parish.

Tim

The second is a 'pocket size' GU windlass, strong men only need apply wink.png

Tim

Whilst I'm sure Laurence is going to be pretty accurate with his description, I am really struggling to see that second one as having even an 8" throw, as listed.

Optical illusion, perhaps?

The photo of the Cheshire one does it no favours if it is bronze, as it manages to more or less look like a photo of a galvanised one! Perhaps Laurence should have given it the polish he says it needs!

The first one is Cheshire size, so too small to fit most spindles now - as the listing says, 'display only', also some brass/bronze windlasses are not strong enough for serious use.

The second is a 'pocket size' GU windlass, strong men only need apply wink.png

Tim

Brass maybe, but bronze is fine, I have been using my short throw Boatman's Cabin Bronze Windlass regularly since i aquired it and it shows no signs of stress.

I

If anybody fancies a nice shiny bronze windlass guaranteed to have absolutely no history whatsoever I make them to order from phosphor bronze, also just for useful info. I may possibly be able to help if you have ancient machinery with small damaged castings, brass, bronze or aluminium only and sorry I can`t cast a new crankcase for your Bolinder!.

Whilst I'm sure Laurence is going to be pretty accurate with his description, I am really struggling to see that second one as having even an 8" throw, as listed.

Optical illusion, perhaps?

The photo of the Cheshire one does it no favours if it is bronze, as it manages to more or less look like a photo of a galvanised one! Perhaps Laurence should have given it the polish he says it needs!

Hi Alan,

Yes it is 8", the Cheshire is an aluminium bronze and if polished looks like brass which its not, its from a one off run done in around 1979.

After being attacked by a pair of Eastern Europeans at home outside my garage and my car stolen I have had enough of where I live, I am moving and need to clear a lot of stuff out so theres going to be a few "goodies" around in the next weeks or so. For those interested a butty tiller is up, a hand bowl in brass and galvo, a Lesters 2 gallon can, a prototype heavy duty BCN bronze windlass and more. (sorry for the bit of advertising!!) icecream.gif

Any body want three Corris railway wagon wheels?

Edited by Laurence Hogg