£185 Windlass

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

I've got quite a good stash of them in the shed both chromed and galv'. I think I should put a few of them up for sale.

I gave a chrome one away a few weeks ago.

They are near worthless, honestly, but I'm prepared to give you a bit more than scrap value for chromed ones.

Unfortunately I don't think I have anything in the shed that has any material value at all, although the "Circle Enginnering" one I have with a rotating handle could win a prize for one of the heaviest windlasses ever produced.

I think it is in deadly earnest, and is either the owner or the manager at Norbury Wharf, possibly.

Both Simon and David have accounts on here, I think, and although I can't recall either posting recently, either could certainly be watching.

I'd suggest you don't say anything too rude about the expectation for this item, if you don't want to hear from a possible owner!

It is certainly true that E.T did give away windlasses (windli?) like that. I know someone else who has one and the text style/font is identical to the one in the link.

although the "Circle Enginnering" one I have with a rotating handle could win a prize for one of the heaviest windlasses ever produced.

I've got a gunmetal one that probably comes a close second.

Looking at the bidding history of the current highest bidder, they seem to be buying a lot of stuff.

ETA and the person below is buying even more......

I had never looked at that before, I think I lost something to the second person on the list!

I have a fair number of old windlasses and have also given a few away, think I am going to go and get them back now!

i've been looking at the thing again and again and I think this is in fact a hand forged lock key but it has been spoiled by being chrome plated. it looks very like the cast ones available in 1964 and perhaps earlier but I don't think it is one of them as it seems to have a shorter throw. I would much prefer it in an unchromed state, preferably very corroded and sticking to my magnet :lol:

out of interest does anyone know the approximate cost to have a lock key properly chromed? I mean so it stays on.

edite,for,trypos

Edited by magnetman

I had 2 chromed at a plating place at Hinckley, last year, Hinckley Business Park. £70 the pair, not cheap and the place took 5 weeks to do it!

http://www.classicsa...me.co.uk/4.html

I used to work as an electroplater in a previous life, and they could have done them in a day. About an hour's labour involved, I'd say. First they need to be polished in the polishing shop, then wired up and suspended in an electroplating frame. First they are flash copper-plated. Then rinse and a couple of hours in the nickel tank, then out for a rinse again and half an hour in the chrome. Rinse, unwire and they're done.

£70 for two sounds a fair price to me.

MtB

Anyone tried removing chrome?

Rub for long enough with an abrasive polishing compound.

I used Solvol autosol for too long on my bike's petrol cap and took it down to what looked like brass in a couple of minutes

Chrome plating is normally only a few microns thick

I reckon a rotary wire brush would shift it

i've been looking at the thing again and again and I think this is in fact a hand forged lock key but it has been spoiled by being chrome plated. it looks very like the cast ones available in 1964 and perhaps earlier but I don't think it is one of them as it seems to have a shorter throw.

I still think it is a basic cast iron windlass of the type that generally used to be fairly rough cast and galvanised.

Why not ask the seller if it is a forged or a cast windlass, but my money is still on the latter.....

or bronze even, I will ask

one of the cast ones which was previously galvanised.

2013-03-27_07-10-10_250_zpsa0adea9a.jpg

I don't know how to put a pic of the ebay one on here but look at the end of the handle and the throw length there are certsin slight differences

£91 for a fairly basic looking cast bronze windlass, that looks like it is probably bent!

Linky

That bucket is starting to look good value!

The chromed engraved one is already at £232, with a week left to run.

Have I failed to notice I have been abducted, and transferred to some kind of strange parallel universe?

I bought a good brass one for £10 the other day (Kempton Park Antiques Fair). It is quite unbelievable what some people will pay for things. Is/was it really solid 'copper' - I have my doubts as copper, if I remember my Physics from school days is very soft.

Could have been Beryllium Copper, this looks like copper but the addition of Beryllium makes it as hard as steel.

Phil

Have just cast the first bronze windlass this morning, has taken ages due to terrible weather will probably remelt it as the core was a little off centre but apart from that it was v. successful, if I get the time this afternoon (visiting elderly relative, shopping, boring stuff) I will have a fight with the computer and try to post a pic.

I think this thread must have encouraged Sarah Edgson to raid the shed....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bronze-Neales-No-2-Windlass-Lock-Key-Canal-ware-Barge-ware-Narrowboat-/330901015046?pt=UK_Collectables_Nautical&hash=item4d0b3cca06

Currently at £75 with a week still to go...

MtB

She's had a few bits on ebay recently.

I'm selling that one for Dad, it's been gathering dust in his office at the yard for years...my bronze windlass is safely tucked away.

Been selling a few things recently because I have too much canal tat and I need to make way for more!

Mike's link leads to some souvenir wear in the "also viewed" items, and there's a small watering can, probably for a conservatory, which has some very nice brushwork. I fancy it may never have been done by any recognised former boat painter, but the style is lovely. Strong and bold without being overpowering. It's HERE.