£185 Windlass

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Ah but the bronze ones are a far nicer colour.....

More seriously though, the bronze ones have the square hole attached to the handle in 'diamond' orientation while all modern steel windlasses are attached 'square'. In addition, the handle section always looks attached to the shank at a couple of degrees less than 90 degrees. Does anyone know why the bronze windlasses have these features?

MtB

More seriously though, the bronze ones have the square hole attached to the handle in 'diamond' orientation while all modern steel windlasses are attached 'square'.

Really?

This is a modern design of windlass.....

l_dunton.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

Ah but the bronze ones are a far nicer colour.....

More seriously though, the bronze ones have the square hole attached to the handle in 'diamond' orientation while all modern steel windlasses are attached 'square'. In addition, the handle section always looks attached to the shank at a couple of degrees less than 90 degrees. Does anyone know why the bronze windlasses have these features?

MtB

Ease of casting, I guess. Plus, less angle between the "square" and shaft makes it stronger. On the other hand, if a steel one is made by welding a handle onto a socket, it's easier to do it at 90 degrees.

Iain

They're not steel like I said....

Ah! OK.

No they are alloy - with a price to reflect it.

Though not as expensive as the carbon fibre ones Viv Scragg was marketing!

At the moment her site seems to not be open for public viewing, so I can't post a link.

Nasty aluminium things.

These aren't:

PICT0002Medium.jpg

If you have the socket on a spindle and the handle is not parallel to the spindle but getting closer to the line of the spindle in an imagined line as you get nearer the end of the handle (on a converging course if you like), you will find it quite a lot more comfortable to wind, and likely quicker too. Length of shaft will of course have an effect, as will how stiff the gear is. Part of it is due to one hand being closer to the crank in the windlass and that hand will be further from the spindle thereby giving a little extra leverage, and the other hand nearer the end of the handle and slightly closer to the line of spindle which allows a bit of speed. Not enough or too much, and ease of operation is harder.

It's hard to describe in words, you have to use them to feel the difference.

Why bronze ones seem more bent than steel is largely down to how often they get dropped I would think.

I find the extra bend is handy for tucking an old type windlass into my belt. not the back of the belt though thats too close to my spinal cord for comfort..

I got one of those naff brass one at Uxbridge boat centre about 20 years ago - thinking of engraving it now as a gift from the sewage company - its a crap windlass :lol: .

Steel or iron for me every time. my daily use lock key looks identical but its cast iron chrome plated.

Carbon Fiber one:

img002702011071219161.jpg

I was once told that the < 90 degree bend in the handle was to help push the windlass onto the padle mechanism spindle when in use.

Also http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=42887&st=0&p=786375&hl=windlass&fromsearch=1entry786375

and http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15545&st=0&p=242964&hl=windlass&fromsearch=1entry242964

Edited by Ray T

Hey! Do they float?

I suspect they do. excellent feature!

Failure to float or respond to magnetry is the main reason not the spend tons on a bronze one.

I don't have a answer for absent-mindedness, i.e leaving a £150 carbon fibre windlass lying on the lockside though....

MtB

I suspect they do. excellent feature!

Failure to float or respond to magnetry is the main reason not the spend tons on a bronze one.

I don't have a answer for absent-mindedness, i.e leaving a £150 carbon fibre windlass lying on the lockside though....

MtB

If I remember correctly I think they were priced at £85.00

I made that in the mid 1990's. Its a "Boatmans cabin Co" windlass made in LG2 Gunmetal bronze. It is not copper. They were fully usuable and I have vague recollecdtions of someone wanting one engraved.

For those of you who are quick there may be one or two left at High Line Yatching at Iver, they are British made and from original Neales patterns.

Nasty aluminium things.

These aren't:

PICT0002Medium.jpg

If you have the socket on a spindle and the handle is not parallel to the spindle but getting closer to the line of the spindle in an imagined line as you get nearer the end of the handle (on a converging course if you like), you will find it quite a lot more comfortable to wind, and likely quicker too. Length of shaft will of course have an effect, as will how stiff the gear is. Part of it is due to one hand being closer to the crank in the windlass and that hand will be further from the spindle thereby giving a little extra leverage, and the other hand nearer the end of the handle and slightly closer to the line of spindle which allows a bit of speed. Not enough or too much, and ease of operation is harder.

It's hard to describe in words, you have to use them to feel the difference.

Why bronze ones seem more bent than steel is largely down to how often they get dropped I would think.

The windlass with the arrow in your picture is one made by Selwyn Jordan at Keays dock, they are very rare to find.

• Greenie 1

Carbon Fiber one:

img002702011071219161.jpg

I was once told that the < 90 degree bend in the handle was to help push the windlass onto the padle mechanism spindle when in use.

Also http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=42887&st=0&p=786375&hl=windlass&fromsearch=1entry786375

and http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15545&st=0&p=242964&hl=windlass&fromsearch=1entry242964

I want one. It's my birthday in two years time so I can save up for one!

For those of you who are quick there may be one or two left at High Line Yatching at Iver, they are British made and from original Neales patterns.

Nah. I called in there this morning and the chap had a good look and said none were left, and they hadn't had any for a while.

What is involved in casting some more Lorry? There seems to be a latent demand for good windlasses, for good money these days.

MtB

They look a bit awkward to cast, I womder if they are cast with a straight shank and then the shank is heated and bent afterwards, could explain the approximate 90 degree bend.

Ah but the bronze ones are a far nicer colour...

A matter of opinion! I have a rather nice one with the remains of a coat of metallic pinkish red paint(or it could be nail varnish!). It was fished out of the cut, but happens to have a nice 'heft' to it, and the handle is smooth.