£185 Windlass

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

So how many different sizes of windlass eye are there?

And what are they please (discounting the weird ones like the Wey Navigation)?

Thanks,

MtB

As far as I am aware 2 on the main system. Large for the GU eg Calcutt, small for others eg Hillmorton on the Oxford.

However, I stand to be corrected.

dscf4907c.jpg

The larger one has had inserts fitted since the photo was taken so it fits the GU lock mechanisms.

Edited by Ray T

This one?

Linky!

That looks to me like the size Grand Union gear (not on the Birmingham main line) was before it cot made smaller to the current size.

Nominally 1 1/4" taper I think, but IIRC that is at the smaller end, and they are more like 1 3/8" taper at the other.

It would probably work on the Birmingham line "Ham & Baker" "candlesticks", but it would be poor practice, as they have a parallel drive with no taper.

It would be far too big for the current size of BW/CRT paddle gear.

An ornament really. Does 1970s/80s qualify as "vintage" - I don't know.

Might sell mine if anyone is daft enough to pay that for one!

I think you may find :) that the candlesticks have a tapered not parallel spindle. it may only be slight but it is a taper iirc.

I could be wrong it has happened before

/anorak off/

I think you may find :) that the candlesticks have a tapered not parallel spindle. it may only be slight but it is a taper iirc.

I could be wrong it has happened before

/anorak off/

Yes, you are correct, and I kind of knew that, but didn't want to complicate things.

There is a very slight taper on the spindle, but in my experience the windlasses designed specifically for it tend to either have none, or at least to be able to push on all the way, rather than locking tight before they are all the way on.

The old style GU big eyed windlasses will work on them, but will not come close to mating with the spindle at their wider end.

This picture is Calcutt - the only place where I have seen bits of an original locking mechanism still in situ along with the replacement "claw".

DSCF5928.jpg

but..

some bronze windlasses were in fact made which do fit that taper exactly. I know because I have one ;) and I think the ebay one may be the same. it is smaller than the old GUC 'large taper'.

wfbco did a nice chrome one which fits the candlesticks too - this is one of the only 'missing links' I my rather extensive windlass collection :rolleyes:

wfbco did a nice chrome one which fits the candlesticks too - this is one of the only 'missing links' I my rather extensive windlass collection :rolleyes:

I still have one of the W.F.B.Co. chrome windlasses - purchased new in 1984. It replaced one I bought new in 1983 that bent - they were a bit prone to this and mine had a hard life. Consequently I didn't use the 1984 version much, especially as I left the camping boats in the summer of 1985 (although the chrome is chipped here and there). I rarely boat nowadays but if I do I much prefer my aluminium Dunton Double.

I rarely boat nowadays but if I do I much prefer my aluminium Dunton Double.

I do own a Dunton Double, and actually think they feel great to use.

Having seen someone using one with not that much force, and snapping the head clean off, I have to say I'm now a bit wary of them.

Cath achieved the same with an almost new "Walsh" alloy windlass to, (the type most people tend to have if they buy an alloy one).

It's a slightly worrying way for them to fail, but for use, I do like the alloy ones otherwise.

EDITED TO ADD.

This one has gone stupid too - £122 already....

Ebay listing - Basic Cast Bronze Windlass

Edited by alan_fincher

its got an arrow on it ;)

I broke a 'walsh' alloy windlass in 2001, it is in the k&a near Thatcham somewhere, unless someone has found it with a magnet :lol:

its interesting about the Wfbco windlass bending- I did notice that the 'web' which merges the socket to the handle was not as substantial as a proper one like the old Cooke type so I can see it bending quite easily. i've had 4 GH Cooke hand forged windlasses out over the years, all of them GUC/GJC large taper -never got a small one but then i've only done a few hours magging round the coffin locks with the 'proper magnet' the vast majority of the hundreds of hours was GUC and Thames.

I do own a Dunton Double, and actually think they feel great to use.

Having seen someone using one with not that much force, and snapping the head clean off, I have to say I'm now a bit wary of them.

Cath achieved the same with an almost new "Walsh" alloy windlass to, (the type most people tend to have if they buy an alloy one).

It's a slightly worrying way for them to fail, but for use, I do like the alloy ones otherwise.

EDITED TO ADD.

This one has gone stupid too - £122 already....

Ebay listing - Basic Cast Bronze Windlass

Alan,

thats a Selwyn Jordan windlass, they are rare.

Alan,

Yes only the second one recently listed, since the previous auction a bit further up the thread, then!

What do reckon I should bid? :rolleyes:

Edited by alan_fincher

Alan,

Alan,

i know they are rare but the selling price is unbelievable! I hope Selwyn is having a chuckle at his pattern makers bench in the sky.

i have one with my name engraved on it, bit tempted to put it on!!!!!!!

Alan,

i know they are rare but the selling price is unbelievable! I hope Selwyn is having a chuckle at his pattern makers bench in the sky.

i have one with my name engraved on it, bit tempted to put it on!!!!!!!

And that subsequent one got to about £171 it seems.......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Brass-Windlass-Canal-River-Lock-Key-/190809151752?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D6242219682447995127%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D190809151752%26

Eye watering!

No idea, it looks a fairly standard offering to me, though it looks to be bent in the shank a few inches up from the mend round to the handle

$T2eC16VHJI!E9qSO8)JJBRRfn2uu!Q~~60_12.JPG

This is rather more unusual......

e Bay linky

although it looks to have spent a long while in the cut, and to my untrained eye is an untypically very long throw for a Cooke windlass.

$T2eC16NHJIIE9qTYI1YSBRRbm(CN8w~~60_12.JPG

Edited by alan_fincher

the seller of the Cooke windlass has a converted GUCC motor and I was wondering if that windlass had spent time in the cut or in the boats damp bilge ? it does seem a long throw which is interesting as one of my 'clay pipe' windlasses is not stamped with GH COOKE and is a long throw. all the others are standard throw and have the clay pipe as well as the GH COOKE stamped into opposite sides.

I think it is a ladies windlass or should that be a windlad :rolleyes:

No idea, it looks a fairly standard offering to me, though it looks to be bent in the shank a few inches up from the mend round to the handle

$T2eC16VHJI!E9qSO8)JJBRRfn2uu!Q~~60_12.JPG

This is rather more unusual......

e Bay linky

although it looks to have spent a long while in the cut, and to my untrained eye is an untypically very long throw for a Cooke windlass.

$T2eC16NHJIIE9qTYI1YSBRRbm(CN8w~~60_12.JPG

Alan,

First one looks like an early Boatmans Cabin one, second is a "Ladies" windlass which was known as a No3.

Anyway I'm quite happy with any old windlass but I do object to folk I've seen using the big hole of their windlass on small spindled paddle gear, rattling around on it and helping to round off the spindles corners which eventually causes the correct size windlass holes jamb on the spindle when you go to pull it off.

Can`t understand the prices these things fetch, surely they can`t be that collectable? I`ve never heard of windlasses being collectable in the same way as stamps or oil paintings or railwayana and just how many windlass `enthusiasts` can there be out there? Anyway if I can work out how to put pictures on here I will unveil the state of progress with my version. As I thought they are a bit more awkward to cast than they appear but I think I`m nearly there.

A proper genuine old forged windlass like a Cooke is doubtless very collectable. I don't think they come p for public sale very often, and if I owned any, I would not be selling them. (Sadly I don't!).

However, like you I am staggered that simple bronze castings made in the 1970s or 1980scan command prices up to £175, (rare or otherwise!).

But seeing what I'm seeing some painted canal ware change hands for, (and we are talking "modern" stuff, not anything that genuinely dates back to a working boat past, in most cases), I suppose nothing should surprise me.

At the end of the day, I suppose anything is worth what someone was prepared to pay at the time.....

This one hasn't taken off so far.

Can someone who understands e-Bay, (I'm not sure I do!), explain the fact that subsequent bids to the £30 starting price all show as £30. That is we have 3 times £30 showing. (I'm sure it will be obvious when someone explains it!....)

This one hasn't taken off so far.

Can someone who understands e-Bay, (I'm not sure I do!), explain the fact that subsequent bids to the £30 starting price all show as £30. That is we have 3 times £30 showing. (I'm sure it will be obvious when someone explains it!....)

one person has placed three bids