Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Yes as I said it was S8'd and now stored at Greenwalls Farm which is in Dodleston near Chester. MERSEY/ ARTHUR is also for sale with Commercial Boat Services but not price reduced like the WYE. 

I think the latter (WYE) has water in it from above (nackered windows) and being overplated this could be a wormy can of worms. 

Edited by magnetman

14 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/peter-keay-son-50-tug-for-sale/717310

I know its wooden but £12k ?Apart from the awful rope crowd control barriers it looks good.

Been up for sale for months and months.

Lovely boat but the purchase price will only be the start of all the spending to keep it in such apparently good condition.

And yes the cinema ropes would be the first thing to go were I to buy it...

The previous owner of Progress some 3 or 4 years back used to post on here, and I met them once out boating. But then he sold up. No idea whether that was because of the future maintenance liabilities though!

s-l960.webp

70 ft iron BCN boat with Ruston 2VSH.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196017166803

Edited by David Mack

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Been up for sale for months and months.

Lovely boat but the purchase price will only be the start of all the spending to keep it in such apparently good condition.

And yes the cinema ropes would be the first thing to go were I to buy it...

i thought that had sold in April/May of this year. I passed it on the Braunston to Napton pound and even looked for it on line and Braunston Boat sales had it as sold on their website

32 minutes ago, Morris said:

I don't think I've seen Carnaby mentioned on this thread yet? 

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/harland-and-wolff-40-traditional-for-sale/744627

I remember Carnaby in BW around Braun St on when I first started living on boat mid nineties. Always liked it even though it is a bit wrong looking. 

Didn't realise it had gone into private hands I suppose it was one of the goindustry auctions. 

Nice item a little overpriced I think. 

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

i thought that had sold in April/May of this year. I passed it on the Braunston to Napton pound and even looked for it on line and Braunston Boat sales had it as sold on their website

Im sure it was sold too? Perhaps removing the rope was more difficult than anticipated. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

CARNABY has the same starn as CALDY with the diagonal rubbing strakes. I heard somewhere this was an experimental starn and there was an idea that it could be substituted for other designs later on .

Is that concrete in the open hold area? 

ETA no it seems to just be dust. New bottom by Steve Priest apparently. 

Makes it a lot more interesting ! 

7842525.jpg

4 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/peter-keay-son-50-tug-for-sale/717310

I know its wooden but £12k ?Apart from the awful rope crowd control barriers it looks good.

That is very much less than what it was advertised at some months back - possibly only half of a previous asking price, I'm not sure.

It's not obvious to me if the seller was the same person then, as it is now.

58 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I remember Carnaby in BW around Braun St on when I first started living on boat mid nineties. Always liked it even though it is a bit wrong looking. 

Didn't realise it had gone into private hands I suppose it was one of the goindustry auctions. 

Sold by BW in 2010 I believe, one owner since then. I went to see it a couple of weeks ago and was very tempted but thought I would want to do more to it than I have time for at the moment. Shame because I love its unconventional look. 

28 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

That is very much less than what it was advertised at some months back - possibly only half of a previous asking price, I'm not sure.

It's not obvious to me if the seller was the same person then, as it is now.

Yes I remember seeing it at around 25k because to me at the time it seemed very reasonable at that. Then I looked into wooden boats a bit more a decided I didn't have a clue! 

I remember it being marked as sold too. 

Edited by Morris
To correct unintentional negative tone

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

I seem to recall that Carnaby ended its BW days as a floating sanitary station at Limehouse Marina.

It's probably just about unique amongst ex BW maintenance craft to retain its BW cabin, stern engine, forward access cabin and cut down gunwales. Python is the only other example I can think of. Almost all the rest have been modified to more of an original/traditional look. I know that was a deliberate decision by the current owner, and I hope it stays that way as a reminder of a look that used to be commonplace.

Edited by David Mack

Oh yes so it did. 

I first arrived on Limehouse cut in 2010 (still here) and now you mention it there was a BW short workboat there as an elsan point. It was moored near the office. 

Was this the same auction where the green tug Falconbrook was sold? I remember it being up by Bow Locks then it disappeared apparently later scrapped. 

I did think that BW had specifically only allowed historic boats to go to clubs or heritage organisations rather than private individuals. 

37 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Oh yes so it did. 

I first arrived on Limehouse cut in 2010 (still here) and now you mention it there was a BW short workboat there as an elsan point. It was moored near the office. 

The short boat was Aynho

37 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Limehouse Basin 10 Limehouse Cut  17th October 2004.JPG

33 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

The short boat was Aynho

Limehouse Basin 10 Limehouse Cut  17th October 2004.JPG

You beat me to it.

Both AYNHO and CARNABY were sold off in the same auction, I believe.

I can't recall having seen anything at all  about AYNHO since then - I think it must be somewhere a bit obscure, and I certainly haven't heard of it attending any of the shows.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

It's probably just about unique amongst ex BW maintenance craft to retain its BW cabin, stern engine, forward access cabin and cut down gunwales. Python is the only other example I can think of.

PYTHON retains its BW work boat configuration, but it is not one that ever had the dropped gunwales.

Other boats retaining their reversed engine room / accommodation include

ARCAS

CALDY

CAMBOURNE
PANTHER

RENTON

Some, such as CALDY also feature welded on diagonal guards to the stem and to the counter.

There are others, if only I could remember.....

The most unrecognisable I can think of is DEIMOS, renamed as SLOUGH, converted to a push tug,and operated by Rose Narrowboats.  (The real SLOUGH also still exists, and also happens to feature dropped  gunwales, but for a very different reason.)

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

I can't recall having seen anything at all  about AYNHO since then - I think it must be somewhere a bit obscure, and I certainly haven't heard of it attending any of the shows.

Anyho is, or was, owned by the directors of “Scarisbrook Marina “up north.”  The “restoration” was not to my taste…

Paul

20 hours ago, David Mack said:

The previous owner of Progress some 3 or 4 years back used to post on here, and I met them once out boating. But then he sold up. No idea whether that was because of the future maintenance liabilities though!

s-l960.webp

70 ft iron BCN boat with Ruston 2VSH.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196017166803

Progress is a lovely little boat to my mind - and the advert here has given me something to think about for sure..although Id take the ropes off her deck straight away lol

Shes in very good nick considering her age and while there is an issue in her hull it wasnt that that led me to sell her...as silly as it sounds I simply found her uncomfortably small 🤷🙂

The issue in her hull is this - on her front right hand side the swim plank - longest plank from forend down side and first on bottom boards has a hole in right on the bend where her bows straighten out ...the original plank used has very open grain there and on the bend rott set in and worked its way straight through...I plugged it with a few blocks, redid the internal sheeting ( the whole is about a foot long all way through, packed with resin and horse shit lol and put a metal alli plate over it which was bent over and under bottom boards...it was water tights but vulnerable 🙂

..the rest of hull when I had it out and cleaned off and blacked and caulked was very good 

The guys I sold her to - I showed them the pics of hull hole - did a really nice reskin of her cabin and deck as that was leaking a bit at time..

..very pretty little boat and a lovely feel to her.. 🙂👍

sorry about spell check - I cant see how to get back to edit duh! lol 🤷

1 hour ago, rivergate said:

Progress is a lovely little boat to my mind - and the advert here has given me something to think about for sure..although Id take the ropes off her deck straight away lol

Shes in very good nick considering her age and while there is an issue in her hull it wasnt that that led me to sell her...as silly as it sounds I simply found her uncomfortably small 🤷🙂

The issue in her hull is this - on her front right hand side the swim plank - longest plank from forend down side and first on bottom boards has a hole in right on the bend where her bows straighten out ...the original plank used has very open grain there and on the bend rott set in and worked its way straight through...I plugged it with a few blocks, redid the internal sheeting ( the whole is about a foot long all way through, packed with resin and horse shit lol and put a metal alli plate over it which was bent over and under bottom boards...it was water tights but vulnerable 🙂

..the rest of hull when I had it out and cleaned off and blacked and caulked was very good 

The guys I sold her to - I showed them the pics of hull hole - did a really nice reskin of her cabin and deck as that was leaking a bit at time..

..very pretty little boat and a lovely feel to her.. 🙂👍

sorry about spell check - I cant see how to get back to edit duh! lol 🤷

congratulations on your imminent purchase!!!!!!!! 🤣🤣

18 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

The most unrecognisable I can think of is DEIMOS, renamed as SLOUGH, converted to a push tug,and operated by Rose Narrowboats.  (The real SLOUGH also still exists, and also happens to feature dropped  gunwales, but for a very different reason.)

The real Slough no longer has it's dropped gunwales, as seen recently on the permanent moorings at Stone.

Still has the "funnel" though.