Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

On 06/07/2023 at 14:29, Pluto said:

This is the slide which was before the Hawkesbury one. There was not much information on the slides, and although Roger had started sorting his slides, he had not got very far before infirmity stopped him.

1970c 014 Toucan Dipper.jpg

Just to come back quickly to this photo - it is taken at Croxley Mill, and Toucan is one of the boats that WWCTS hired from BW. BW  'repossessed' most of their boats in 1968, but Pete Harrison tells me that Toucan continued carrying with WW to September 1969. In the second half of 1969 it was paired with Dipper, so the above photo is likely to have been taken during that period. Thanks to Pete H for clarifying this.

Edited by John Brightley
Correction of information.

Not sure if this has been posted before 

**REDUCED PRICE - NEW BOAT HAS ARRIVED SO I NEED THE SPACE**

1906 Clara 72ft Wooden butty
Clara - 72ft historical WOODEN butty, 1906
No engine - she was designed to be pulled/towed but was reinforced should engine be required in future.
Caulked & blacked 3 years ago, hull was in good condition. Needs to be done every 2 to 3 years.
As with all wooden boats perspective owner should not underestimate the maintenance requirements to keep on top of them but for the right owner this work will be a pleasure and a privilege as it has for me.
Berths - 6, 1 double, 1 single, 1 small single and a double sofa bed.
Electric - 12v/240 solar, wind turbine, inbuilt farrymann generator
Water- 2 large stainless steel tanks
Cooking/heating - coal fired range with hot plate/oven/back boiler to head radiators and hot water
Bathroom - shower/ 1/4 bath/pump out toilet
£25,000 ono or willing to negotiate for right owner
Oxford

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not sure if this has been posted before 

**REDUCED PRICE - NEW BOAT HAS ARRIVED SO I NEED THE SPACE**

1906 Clara 72ft Wooden butty
Clara - 72ft historical WOODEN butty, 1906
No engine - she was designed to be pulled/towed but was reinforced should engine be required in future.
Caulked & blacked 3 years ago, hull was in good condition. Needs to be done every 2 to 3 years.
As with all wooden boats perspective owner should not underestimate the maintenance requirements to keep on top of them but for the right owner this work will be a pleasure and a privilege as it has for me.
Berths - 6, 1 double, 1 single, 1 small single and a double sofa bed.
Electric - 12v/240 solar, wind turbine, inbuilt farrymann generator
Water- 2 large stainless steel tanks
Cooking/heating - coal fired range with hot plate/oven/back boiler to head radiators and hot water
Bathroom - shower/ 1/4 bath/pump out toilet
£25,000 ono or willing to negotiate for right owner
Oxford

Strikes me as a comedy price for a 115-year old wooden butty with no motor, no mooring and a headache to maintain.

£2,500 would seem more reasonable and realistic.

Did you mean fernetickly? 

There is a lot of hardware in that wooden boat which seems to be encouraging it to sink. Rayburn, farymann generator, stainless tanks etc

Yars ago (29 to be precise) when I was first looking for a narrow boat I went to Cosgrove to have a look at a 36ft Springer. On the way to the boat near the aqueduct there was a woman on an old wooden narrow boat. She said I could buy it if I wanted it. I retorted by pointing out that wooden boats sink and steel was better.

She seemed surprised as I was only 20 yars old and looked younger so how would I know this? 

"Put a piece of wood in the water and it will float, a piece of steel will sink" was her comment which at the time was quite amusing in a number of different ways. 

I didn't buy the Springer or the wooden thing but in the meantime have had steel boats and several smaller GRP craft. 

Wood boats sink. 

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Apparently it's an "FMR Joshua" despite what the sign writing on the cabin side may say.

And apparently it has no berths, even in the back cabin?

No photos inside the boatmans cabin apart from the Epping so could be correct

I think the advert was written by someone at Aquavista not the boat owner. 

Maybe it is a railway boat. Fellows Morton Railway. 

I remember OTTER when it was moored in the Chess basin in Ricky around 2006 close to the bascule bridge. 

I think Malcolm Burge got hold of it and did some works. 

I think that was OTTER anyway. 

My favourite kind of narrow boat but £65k does seem rather a lot. 

Yarmouth was mentioned a few weeks ago on this thread as being for sale. 

I remember the girls when they were something like 8 and 11 and Paul the owner moored the boat around Rickmansworth. This was about 2005 so I suppose 18 yars on means they are bow both in their late twenties. 

Nice boat that is.