Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

That's a lot of engine (and gearbox) for the price. Shame its too big and probably heavy for a narrowboat.

$(KGrHqN,!rEFJ!3W0ZH0BSQ+-Y(DqQ~~60_58.J

Tony Redshaw has a 3L3 in his workshop, one of only 25 marine ones made he reckons, and the flywheel is truly massive. This has another cylinder and must be well over two tons with gearbox - spec here

That's a lot of engine (and gearbox) for the price. Shame its too big and probably heavy for a narrowboat.

Tony Redshaw has a 3L3 in his workshop, one of only 25 marine ones made he reckons, and the flywheel is truly massive. This has another cylinder and must be well over two tons with gearbox - spec here

What's that boat ANT at Norbury got? Think it's a 4 cylinder?

Casp'

What's that boat ANT at Norbury got? Think it's a 4 cylinder?

Casp'

4L2, maybe, which is the equivalent of a 4LW. Big for a narrowboat but not outrageous (by modern standards).

That 4L3 will need a prop around 40" diameter, I think.

Tim

where did the idea of fitting over powered engines in narrowboats come from ? what is the point ?

'Too big' models of classic engines are usually much cheaper and easier to find than are those of the right sort of size. I'm sure that's one reason.

Another might be an attempt to compensate for other inadequacies?

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Very complete engine package - Lister CE with PRM gearbox. Price is still sensible as well. Not an original marine version (CEM) but a neat conversion of the industrial version.

$(KGrHqR,!rgFIsKjBg2UBSTEN-r,vw~~60_58.J

Maybe a candidate for MtB??? - especially with that neat compression COV system and history dating back to 1933.

Wonder how many others already in narrowboats?

Edited by by'eck

Very complete engine package - Lister CE with PRM gearbox. Price is still sensible as well. Not an original marine version (CEM) but a neat conversion of the industrial version.

Maybe a candidate for MtB??? - especially with that neat compression COV system and history dating back to 1933.

I'm told it's basically the same lump as the Ruston & Hornsby 2VTH that's in my boat.

Casp'

Very complete engine package - Lister CE with PRM gearbox. Price is still sensible as well. Not an original marine version (CEM)

A friend of mine had one in his boat lasted 10 years than as with lots of CE the crank snapped, its a known fault, be warned.

CE crank failure is usually caused by vibration across worn crank journals. Similar issue is not unknown in JPs too. A properly rebuilt CE is a good old engine. One that is painted ,but not rebuilt, is probably to be avoided. Not too expensive to grind and remetal, flogging a kidney should do it !

$(KGrHqR,!rgFIsKjBg2UBSTEN-r,vw~~60_58.J

Must say I'm sorely tempted. It's such a nice shade of green, my favourite colour! :D

What's a "neat compression COV system"?

MtB

Seems like the Lister CE went for £2,576.99, three seconds before auction ended.

I bet the guy who bid to £50 less four hours earlier thought he had it in the bag.

Often wonder how high these last second bids go since you can never know.

SNIP

It was George who encouraged Phil Trotter to install a K3 in a suitably designed narrow boat and this repeated theme in the correspondence eventually resulted in the design and build of Alnwick. Indeed George appears to have been consulted throughout Alnwick's design stage and one of his letters thanks Phil for his hospitality and compliments him on the work in progress - this suggests that he visited the yard at Saul Junction when Alnwick's build was under-way.

I saw another RW Davies N Trader with a K3 in it recently. Called Enid iirc.

This is Spares / Repair only, but currently a PH2 with no bidding.

It is in Fife though, it seems....

Any use to anybody?

Not any more, someone's bunged £50 on it.

There's a couple of lovely little Stuart Turner P5s on there, that I'm sure RLWP wants.

If I won the lottery, I'd bid on the Gardner 8L3 and put it in a narrowboat to see Onionbargee's head explode.