Ebay vintage engine sales

MtB

Featured Posts

Video of it running immediately after rebuild, on MPS website here.

Shame the original Kelvin gearbox, as shown here, had to be replaced. I'm sure RLWP could have fixed it wink.png

Kelvin_P4R_engine_014.jpg

Seems like the hand start has been lost as a result.

Edited by by'eck

Yes I was staggered. It's not worth a PENNY more than £2,805....

Next up, a rather nice looking Kelvin P4, currently at £300!

$(KGrHqRHJFMFIDZ0SlL7BSEjnip2L!~~60_12.J

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161089271384&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:3160

And what's the boat in the background? Pisces? Phobos?

MtB

This engine?

I've never had anything to do with them, but have garnered an impression that the P4 was not Kelvin's finest product. I seem to remember them selling off the last batch at bargain prices.

I had some limited experience of TMP boxes many years ago and did garner the impression that they are not really robust enough for canal use, with its frequent gear changes and occasional contact between propeller and solid objects. Just my personal impression.

Tim

A few more currently on eBay

Gardner 4LW marine

$T2eC16dHJHIFFhn00GK)BR8-WUO5-g~~60_1.JP

Lister HW4 marine with PRM gearbox

$(KGrHqJ,!lIFD)kbnB99BQ8)gURLVg~~60_1.JP

Lister HW3

$T2eC16V,!zEE9s3!Y(10BR8+2Pz6u!~~60_1.JP

Seems to be an increasing trend now to fit big vintage engines in narrowboats. Travelling up to Nottingham from Tamworth recently, I have spotted four with 4LW's and as many with 4LK's. Better than seeing them rotting in a yard somewhere.

I guess a 6LW and Kelvin T3 offered by the same seller may be pushing it though wink.png

Seems to be an increasing trend now to fit big vintage engines in narrowboats. Travelling up to Nottingham from Tamworth recently, I have spotted four with 4LW's and as many with 4LK's. Better than seeing them rotting in a yard somewhere.

Yes that CE2 above is FAR more suitable for a NB at 16HP 1000rpm than any of those four cylinder monsters. The CE2 sounds utterly gorgeous too.

MtB

Next up, a rather nice looking Kelvin P4, currently at £300!

$(KGrHqRHJFMFIDZ0SlL7BSEjnip2L!~~60_12.J

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161089271384&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:3160

And what's the boat in the background? Pisces? Phobos?

MtB

The boat is I'm sure Marcellus, or at least part of Marcellus.

It is owned by a forum member, and I suspect this P4 has been removed from it.

I believe it is the engine that has been the subject of a fairly long running saga elsewhere, though I don't know the story, or if it concerned more than the replaced gearbox.

I believe it is the engine that has been the subject of a fairly long running saga elsewhere, though I don't know the story, or if it concerned more than the replaced gearbox.

See post No 154.

Doesn't explain why the engine was finally removed, though.

Tim

Ah but which half of Marcellus? My guess is the stern from the pic. But really just a guess.

MtB

Have a look here, then here and finally here

See post No 154.

Doesn't explain why the engine was finally removed, though.

Tim

Tried to look at that p;ost, tim, but for some reason your link called "This Boat?" simply dums me in a CWDF index page, not anything specific about that engine or boat.

I have no idea why it has been removed, but can only assume it proved not to be a suitable engine for Marcellus for some reason.

What kind of power are they?

Tried to look at that p;ost, tim, but for some reason your link called "This Boat?" simply dums me in a CWDF index page, not anything specific about that engine or boat.

I have no idea why it has been removed, but can only assume it proved not to be a suitable engine for Marcellus for some reason.

What kind of power are they?

THIS was what I thought I had linked to, don't know what went wrong.

THIS link gives some technical info.

Tim

A few more currently on eBay

<Snip>

I guess a 6LW and Kelvin T3 offered by the same seller may be pushing it though wink.png

There was a Lister FR6 on recently which was said to be suitable for a narrow boat!

There was a Lister FR6 on recently which was said to be suitable for a narrow boat!

Well, it is...

....if you're towing a train of loaded joey boats on the Wolverhampton level!

Having said that, I like the idea of putting a Gardner 8LXB into a boat, just to see what it's like- and win any tug of war!

Well, it is...

....if you're towing a train of loaded joey boats on the Wolverhampton level!

Having said that, I like the idea of putting a Gardner 8LXB into a boat, just to see what it's like- and win any tug of war!

Now that's really going to upset onionbargee wink.png

Wasn't an FR6 removed recently from HECTOR?

MtB

No Hectors FR6 is running really well when I saw Paul and Rosemary last week

Jono and Paul Barber have done work on the engine and cooling tank respectively and it now is working properly

Just needs a reprop sometime

Chris B