Scaryest Boating Moment?

Guest Quo Vadis

Featured Posts

Yes - I think everyone should have a means to rescue a person from the water - waterlogged clothing is very heavy. It was not on my boat though.

John

Its always difficult getting someone out of the water,even a child, especially if everyones a little elderly.If having trouble slip a rope loop under their arms and tie it off tightish to boats bollard or anything strongly attached,and so keeping them safe whilst devising a way to hook em out.I had to teach this method as sailing instructor way back. bizzard.

My first "full penetration event" (cheers Carl) whilst fixing a leak on my old wooden boat; stuck my hand clean through the bottom!

Ah, did something similar a few years ago, I was tucked under a Trad stern deck scraping a load of crud off the weed hatch, the box section bit, and dug a bit to deep, popped a hole in it, shear panic, I put my finger over it, after a few seconds, I thought mmm can't lay here for the rest of my life! fortunately I was moored opposite Blisworth Tunnel boat yard, they saved the day and lightened my wallet by 300 squid! :help::)

My first "full penetration event" (cheers Carl)

Waking up at 4am dreaming I'd wet the bed. The bed was wet but it was canal water, not wee.

Jumped out of bed, into waist deep water and rushed to my 2 year old son's room, to find him and dog happily bobbing about on the boaty bed I'd built.

Getting the baseplate stuck on a lock side wall coming down the Wigan flight. Amazing how fast the boat tips over. It jammed right across the lock before I could get the paddles down. Thought I was going to lose my then new boat. Fortunately it floated off when I raised a top paddle. Never again have I let the boat drift diagonaly in a broad lock.

Engine in Lionheart cutting out in the Irish sea in a force 4 and the wind turning me side on to the swell.

You'll remember the sea anchor next time.

N

Mine (so far) was lifting the engine cover to find 3" of canal water on the floor, and having pumped/mopped it out, seeing a steady trickle/flow from the stern tube welds ... and it was 8.30 at night! That Sinking Feeling

Watching a weld split open and run like a zip along a joint between a bulhead and the deckhead whilst in a hurricane force in the arctic circle..........Err NOT on a narrowboat !!

Guest Quo Vadis

yeah, we left staines that morning but by the time we got to windsor the red boards were going up! and coming up to black potts railway bridge i was deliberately inching across the river too, to try and find some form of void in the flow... i found the left hand side (although i am not supposed to but with little choice) not as bad as the right hand side or the centre!!! :captain:

i'm also greatful that no other boats were coming down at that point in time and yes having a tiller makes a hell of a difference in feeling the water and knoing where to go and being able to see what you need to do based on the water coming at you!!!

Think I would have too in your situation :)

There are two events that come to mind...

The first on my parents boat the 30 ft Rose of Yorkshire, a narrow beamed steal v-bottomed cruiser - with a stepped roof like the old shropshire hireboats.

RoseOfYorkshire.jpg

We were returning back to our mooring on the Driffield Navigation, and once on the Humber the strong South-Westerly was starting to whip up the waters, even though it was wind with tide (usually better). Since Mum doesn't like it when it gets rough, nearing the Humber Bridge, Dad decided to head to the South bank, and shelter at South Ferriby.

Once we turned into the waves the boat started to submarine - lifting up on one wave, and dropping down into the next on coming wave, the boat being just the wrong length for the short chop on the Humber. So much water was coming over the roof it was running in through the opening section, and so a mass cussion move and pan shuffle started.

By the time we'd got half way across the engine started to die. It had been treatening to do so earlier, but now the muck in the bottom of the tank had nearly completely blocked the fuel filter. The tide, running about 4 mph at this point was pushing the boat towards the South tower of the bridge, but a little more coaxing of the engine managed to push us clear.

Now on the south-side of the river, the banks were sheltering us from the wind, and with what engine power we had headed for one of the piers jetting out into the river. It was already heading towards low water, and we didn't quite reach the pier before running into the silt. We didn't want to take the bottom with the v-hull, so reversed back, and headed for New Holland pier.

Reaching the pier there were a couple of coasters moored, but unloaded their decks were heigher than the roof of the boat, and without the power of the engine we were pushed past at more than 3 mph, me on the roof with a loop of rope in hand wondering if it would be safe to even try dropping the line over a bollard.

We'd already called Humber Rescue, which was just as well as just past the pier we turned to try again when the engine failed compleately. They took us in tow, but even with several hundred horse power were limited to about 3mph towing us.

They started to tow us to Hull, but there is a large sandbank in the middle of the Humber at this point (Hull Middle), and it wasn't long before we started bumping the bottom with the keel. We'll have to stop here said the lifeboat men, we can't we said!

I had a look at the charts and there was an drainage channel through the middle of the sands, so we got them to turn the boat around and tow us downstream. It wasn't long before we were away from the bottom, and while we were in a more safe state Dad replumbed the fuel to a secondary tank we use for the diesel heater. After that we were away, and back at full speed heading into the deep water channel.

Kismet:

The second “fun” time, was coming back from the front of Kismet after a rest from steering and seeing water being thrown out the side of the engine box. I knew what had happened when I saw it, as with a choppy crossing on the Humber the cavitating prop had rattled the weed-hatch loose – I wondered what the extra rattle was. I told Dad to stop the engine, but we were on the tidal Trent with a strong tide behind. I said if he didn't stop it now it will stop itself soon. The boat went sideways across the river once it's speed had gone, but we managed to get the water lower enough with the bilge pump before the bows ended up running through the trees on the bank side.

The water was high enough to run into the main cabin bilge, and we had to pump this out manually. It took quite some 5 gallon containers before dry.

Edited by mykaskin

Trying to monitor batteries without a SMARTGUAGE..... :rolleyes:

No...seriously....it was our second week of owning a boat...bought from...surveyed by a Braunston recommended surveyor at BIG cost...and mended by Braunston.

I was on my way around the more celubrious parts of Birmingham...

Put the boat into reverse...and it started making lots of noise....so assumed I picked up some crud on the prop.

Eventually moored up and opened the rear hatch.

The nuts and bolts that hold the stern tube to a steel hull crossmember..had come out...

As I reversed..I had unscrewed the stern tube from the hull...and there was a rather large hole that was letting in lots of water..

The surveyor had ...maybe..negelcted to test the bilge pump...as it didn't work....and so I had to go head first down the hatch...stretch under the water...and find the stern tube...and try and screw it back in...!!

Funny thing (Braunston)...when I eventually drained and dried the bilge...I only found two bolts and one nut(standard nut...not Nylock...and no washers ) !!

The work they had done...had been on the coupling.

My surveyor...'washed his hands of it all'...saying it must have been all OK when he surveyed the boat.

Having once spent 3 years suing a council...who had admitted liability in writing 2 weeks after I had an accident....I decided...to walk away...and 'move on'

bob

Edited by Bobbybass

Guest Quo Vadis

Trying to monitor batteries without a SMARTGUAGE..... :rolleyes:

No...seriously....it was our second week of owning a boat...bought from...surveyed by a Braunston recommended surveyor at BIG cost...and mended by Braunston.

I was on my way around the more celubrious parts of Birmingham...

Put the boat into reverse...and it started making lots of noise....so assumed I picked up some crud on the prop.

Eventually moored up and opened the rear hatch.

The nuts and bolts that hold the stern tube to a steel hull crossmember..had come out...

As I reversed..I had unscrewed the stern tube from the hull...and there was a rather large hole that was letting in lots of water..

The surveyor had ...maybe..negelcted to test the bilge pump...as it didn't work....and so I had to go head first down the hatch...stretch under the water...and find the stern tube...and try and screw it back in...!!

Funny thing (Braunston)...when I eventually drained and dried the bilge...I only found two bolts and one nut(standard nut...not Nylock...and no washers ) !!

My surveyor...'washed his hands of it all'...saying it must have been all OK when he surveyed the boat.

Having once spent 3 years suing a council...who had admitted liability in writing 2 weeks after I had an accident....I decided...to walk away...and 'move on'

bob

Yikes! ... makes my engine-room "puddle" seem very trivial. I'm beginning to wonder about surveyors and inspectors ... My BSC inspector missed the fact that the Alde boiler intake flue was ripped to shreds (covered in cobwebs showing how old the fault was)allowing the boiler to suck air from the boat ... the cretin cannot have looked at it! The hull inspector missed the tell-tale rusty streaks by the stern tube that preceded my leak.

Mine would have to be looking over at my pride and joy that I had purchased 2 weeks before, and seeing the gunwales on one side under water. Had a pipe burst and empty a full water tank in my engine room, I actually fainted when I got on the boat. Took about a month before I would get back on her. Even to this day I sometimes get freaked out. On the way to Crick this year she run aground and was listing right over, I had flashbacks and just jumped on to the bank and refused to get back on her!

There are two events that come to mind...

The first on my parents boat the 30 ft Rose of Yorkshire, a narrow beamed steal v-bottomed cruiser - with a stepped roof like the old shropshire hireboats.

RoseOfYorkshire.jpg

We were returning back to our mooring on the Driffield Navigation, and once on the Humber the strong South-Westerly was starting to whip up the waters, even though it was wind with tide (usually better). Since Mum doesn't like it when it gets rough, nearing the Humber Bridge, Dad decided to head to the South bank, and shelter at South Ferriby.

Once we turned into the waves the boat started to submarine - lifting up on one wave, and dropping down into the next on coming wave, the boat being just the wrong length for the short chop on the Humber. So much water was coming over the roof it was running in through the opening section, and so a mass cussion move and pan shuffle started.

By the time we'd got half way across the engine started to die. It had been treatening to do so earlier, but now the muck in the bottom of the tank had nearly completely blocked the fuel filter. The tide, running about 4 mph at this point was pushing the boat towards the South tower of the bridge, but a little more coaxing of the engine managed to push us clear.

Now on the south-side of the river, the banks were sheltering us from the wind, and with what engine power we had headed for one of the piers jetting out into the river. It was already heading towards low water, and we didn't quite reach the pier before running into the silt. We didn't want to take the bottom with the v-hull, so reversed back, and headed for New Holland pier.

Reaching the pier there were a couple of coasters moored, but unloaded their decks were heigher than the roof of the boat, and without the power of the engine we were pushed past at more than 3 mph, me on the roof with a loop of rope in hand wondering if it would be safe to even try dropping the line over a bollard.

We'd already called Humber Rescue, which was just as well as just past the pier we turned to try again when the engine failed compleately. They took us in tow, but even with several hundred horse power were limited to about 3mph towing us.

They started to tow us to Hull, but there is a large sandbank in the middle of the Humber at this point (Hull Middle), and it wasn't long before we started bumping the bottom with the keel. We'll have to stop here said the lifeboat men, we can't we said!

I had a look at the charts and there was an drainage channel through the middle of the sands, so we got them to turn the boat around and tow us downstream. It wasn't long before we were away from the bottom, and while we were in a more safe state Dad replumbed the fuel to a secondary tank we use for the diesel heater. After that we were away, and back at full speed heading into the deep water channel.

Kismet:

The second “fun” time, was coming back from the front of Kismet after a rest from steering and seeing water being thrown out the side of the engine box. I knew what had happened when I saw it, as with a choppy crossing on the Humber the cavitating prop had rattled the weed-hatch loose – I wondered what the extra rattle was. I told Dad to stop the engine, but we were on the tidal Trent with a strong tide behind. I said if he didn't stop it now it will stop itself soon. The boat went sideways across the river once it's speed had gone, but we managed to get the water lower enough with the bilge pump before the bows ended up running through the trees on the bank side.

The water was high enough to run into the main cabin bilge, and we had to pump this out manually. It took quite some 5 gallon containers before dry.

What was wrong with the anchor in either situation?

What was wrong with the anchor in either situation?

Anchors are the last restort, even more so without proper engine control. We would have dropped a mud weight in the Trent had we felt the need, far more control.

On the Humber we could have been in far more problems bobbing about on an anchor, and without an engine would have to resign it to the bottom. It would have also meant that someone would have to had to go outside in heavy swell - lethal!

You must understand the risks in all that you do.

Cheers,

Mike

Anchors are the last restort, even more so without proper engine control. We would have dropped a mud weight in the Trent had we felt the need, far more control.

On the Humber we could have been in far more problems bobbing about on an anchor, and without an engine would have to resign it to the bottom. It would have also meant that someone would have to had to go outside in heavy swell - lethal!

You must understand the risks in all that you do.

Cheers,

Mike

We fully understand the risks which is why when we had engine "trouble" (false alarm but worth checking) on the Trent below Keadby we dropped the anchor to ensure that we were safe and not at risk of being swept into danger by the fast flowing water. This is also why we have anchor controls at both the helm and on the bow so we can choose where to control it from.

You are quite willing to stand on the counter of your narrowboat in a swell so why not send out the anchor and knowing you are going out onto dangerous waterways the anchor should have been to hand. It also raises interesting question with regards the Humber ABP byelaws on the Humber and lower Trent.

"28. The master of a vessel, other than a small vessel, shall ensure that the vessel is equipped with one or more suitable anchors and that these are at all times available for immediate use, with the necessary means of retrieving the same in good working order."

Interestingly the Humber ABP byelaws distinguish between river vessels and small vessels:

"“river craft” means a vessel used in navigating the Humber and not passing from the Humber to sea.

“small vessel” means a vessel of less than 12 metres in length."

which means that a narrowboat over 40ft is expected to meet much more stringant requirements than a small boat such as NC.

We fully understand the risks which is why when we had engine "trouble" (false alarm but worth checking) on the Trent below Keadby we dropped the anchor to ensure that we were safe and not at risk of being swept into danger by the fast flowing water. This is also why we have anchor controls at both the helm and on the bow so we can choose where to control it from.

You are quite willing to stand on the counter of your narrowboat in a swell so why not send out the anchor and knowing you are going out onto dangerous waterways the anchor should have been to hand. It also raises interesting question with regards the Humber ABP byelaws on the Humber and lower Trent.

"28. The master of a vessel, other than a small vessel, shall ensure that the vessel is equipped with one or more suitable anchors and that these are at all times available for immediate use, with the necessary means of retrieving the same in good working order."

Interestingly the Humber ABP byelaws distinguish between river vessels and small vessels:

"“river craft” means a vessel used in navigating the Humber and not passing from the Humber to sea.

“small vessel” means a vessel of less than 12 metres in length."

which means that a narrowboat over 40ft is expected to meet much more stringant requirements than a small boat such as NC.

But what about bridges?