Look, get an early night then tommorow we can discuss

matty40s

Featured Posts

Just so you can't sleep.... :-)

Do tell us more. Whaley Bridge and Bugsworth have both been closed down because United Utilities has complained that chemical toilet waste is upsetting their sewage works. If this is copied elswhere I could see a lot of canals turning blue or green :-(

George ex nb Alton retired

Do you have a link?

Banning pumping out into an Elsan point seems a good idea but banning Elsan points altogether is surely a step back towards the canals becoming open sewers.

Pump out systenms work better with out the chemicals thou!

Do you have a link?

Banning pumping out into an Elsan point seems a good idea but banning Elsan points altogether is surely a step back towards the canals becoming open sewers.

Whaley Bridge was always a self pump out station. Bugsworth was suitable for self pump out but was banned because a few boaters left it in a mess. If you want a pump out now you have to pay at the local marina who will pump you out and, yes you guessed it, they discharge into the same sewage works.

Whaley Bridge was always a self pump out station. Bugsworth was suitable for self pump out but was banned because a few boaters left it in a mess. If you want a pump out now you have to pay at the local marina who will pump you out and, yes you guessed it, they discharge into the same sewage works.

If people leave it a mess then it isn't suitable, wherever it is discharged to.

There are already enough people who empty cassettes out into the canal.

I am at a loss to work out why it is ok for me to empty my cassette every three or four days all year round yet I cant collect it and only empty it every six weeks. I know in the case of a number of elsan points they are pumped into a tank, but others are mainline connected.

People emptying cassettes make a mess. The elsan disposal points were disgusting during last winter. It isn't any good just blaming pump outs. Have you seen the state of some public toilets and they aren't used by cassettes or pumpouts. Some people have just plain filthy habits.

Sue

I am at a loss to work out why it is ok for me to empty my cassette every three or four days all year round yet I cant collect it and only empty it every six weeks.

If you are comparing same typical user with either.....

1) Cassette

or

2) Pump-Out

the likelihood is that their overall volume of "liquid" to dispose of in any period will be considerably greater if they have pump-out than cassette.

Generally cassettes use far more frugal amounts of water to flush, that do most type of boat toilet discharging into a holding tank, (Ok that can be to some extent mitigated by not flushing after every "pee").

It's my guess that the location of many pump out stations probably means more use tanks that have to be emptied, than can actually discharge directly into sewers, but I admit I don't have country-wide data to back that up. Certainly in dscussions with managers from South-East Waterways we were told that "most" sanitary stations there are not on main drainage.

Do tell us more. Whaley Bridge and Bugsworth have both been closed down because United Utilities has complained that chemical toilet waste is upsetting their sewage works. If this is copied elswhere I could see a lot of canals turning blue or green :-(

Interesting -

The reason Mercia only has one Elsan emptying point for the whole marina is because it empties into a underground holding tank.

Severn Trent water have so far not allowed them to install more (that would need to drain into the main sewerage system) because of concerns about the addition of the chemicals to cassettes.

What about campsites for caravans and camper vans....they are all casettes...with chemicals....the caravan and cammping club have hundreds of farms who host 5 vans at a time, and I am sure that is ALL into the mainline sewers.

This is a nonsense. Compared with the total volume, the percentage of Pump out or Cassette contents going into the main sewerage system must be minute, just think of all the obnoxious stuff that goes into domestic systems every day. If the water/sewerage companies are really trying to prevent them there must be another reason, perhaps it has something to do with how much BW pays them for the service.

Edited by David Schweizer

What about campsites for caravans and camper vans....they are all casettes...with chemicals....the caravan and cammping club have hundreds of farms who host 5 vans at a time, and I am sure that is ALL into the mainline sewers.

Quite - it's utterly stupid.

Surely it doesn't matter if it is cassette or pump out most folk use the same chemicals and output from both will end up in the same place.

Surely it doesn't matter if it is cassette or pump out most folk use the same chemicals and output from both will end up in the same place.

Q. Do you need to use chemicals for cassette? I know pump out actually works better if you don't use blue, etc....

If you are comparing same typical user with either.....

1) Cassette

or

2) Pump-Out

the likelihood is that their overall volume of "liquid" to dispose of in any period will be considerably greater if they have pump-out than cassette.

Generally cassettes use far more frugal amounts of water to flush, that do most type of boat toilet discharging into a holding tank, (Ok that can be to some extent mitigated by not flushing after every "pee").

It's my guess that the location of many pump out stations probably means more use tanks that have to be emptied, than can actually discharge directly into sewers, but I admit I don't have country-wide data to back that up. Certainly in dscussions with managers from South-East Waterways we were told that "most" sanitary stations there are not on main drainage.

Hi,

Interesting post and the Sanitary station at Cowroast empties to a cesspit which requires emptying.

Perhaps this limitation is just one of the reasons why the canal system cannot support a large 'liveaboard' population, unless more effluent is emptied straight into the canal system.

I seem to recall a previous owner of the marina at Cowroast was fined a substantial amount for allowing this to happen several years ago.

Leo.

A lot of the more remote caravan parks are not on main sewage system, either holding tank, or septic/digester systems. The latter must be a real problem for chemicals..Hmm not good news is it?.

Not so sure about that. Most farms (and perhpas marinas) are a bit off the main sewer line and unless lots of pennies are paid to lay lots of pipes to the nearest sewer, I think that most farms and perhaps marinas use a septic tank rather than main sewers. With a septic tank you do NOT use any chemiclas at all or it affects whatever happens in the tamks. The owner has to pay to have his tank emptied which is perhpas why some marinas are a bit reluctant to let you put anything into their tank. With caravans sites, you pay a fee to camp there and that will be probably pitched at a level to cover the emptying of the septic tank.

haggis

Sorry, I didn't type fast enough and this almost repeats what has just been said. Great minds and all that :-)

Edited by haggis

Interesting -

The reason Mercia only has one Elsan emptying point for the whole marina is because it empties into a underground holding tank.

Severn Trent water have so far not allowed them to install more (that would need to drain into the main sewerage system) because of concerns about the addition of the chemicals to cassettes.

They originally planned for three or four. One at each facilities building with a possible extra one extra at the boat yard. Each one was to go into its own holding tank which would be pumped out by tanker.

Due to the issue of having to go under the railway to get to the mains sewer there were all sorts of novel ideas and schemes considered regarding the sewage system there.

Edited by Speedwheel

A lot of the more remote caravan parks are not on main sewage system, either holding tank, or septic/digester systems. The latter must be a real problem for chemicals..Hmm not good news is it?.

Yes but if it is a holding tank sometime some when it is going to get pumped out and taken away for processing at the sewage works. A septic system would not be allowed that is not a closed system due to the nature of the chemicals.

By the way anybody found any details of a BW announcement about this as I can't find anything. I am not sure if folk are adding 2+2 and getting 5

Edited by churchward

By the way anybody found any details of a BW announcement about this as I can't find anything. I am not sure if folk are adding 2+2 and getting 5

Just so you can't sleep.... :-)

I read this as matty40s being mischievous at a time when the forum wasn't working properly -- I reckon he thought he'd set a hare running to see how many people would start chasing it (after all, the sub-title says pumpouts and Elsans are being banned, which seems ... unlikely).

I read this as matty40s being mischievous at a time when the forum wasn't working properly -- I reckon he thought he'd set a hare running to see how many people would start chasing it (after all, the sub-title says pumpouts and Elsans are being banned, which seems ... unlikely).

That's how I read it as well.