Look, get an early night then tommorow we can discuss

matty40s

Featured Posts

They originally planned for three or four. One at each facilities building with a possible extra one extra at the boat yard. Each one was to go into its own holding tank which would be pumped out by tanker.

Due to the issue of having to go under the railway to get to the mains sewer there were all sorts of novel ideas and schemes considered regarding the sewage system there.

That's not my understanding,

Where does the sewerage from Mercia go now?

I read this as matty40s being mischievous at a time when the forum wasn't working properly -- I reckon he thought he'd set a hare running to see how many people would start chasing it (after all, the sub-title says pumpouts and Elsans are being banned, which seems ... unlikely).

Perhaps Matty40s was being mischievous but my original comment and the reason I gave are FACT.

George ex nb Alton retired

If people leave it a mess then it isn't suitable, wherever it is discharged to.

I hope you did not read into my post that I was condoning the actions of people leaving elsan points in a mess. I was simply clarifying the pre-existing situation at the two stations involved before BW changed the locks and closed them down.

Edited by furnessvale

If you are comparing same typical user with either.....

1) Cassette

or

2) Pump-Out

the likelihood is that their overall volume of "liquid" to dispose of in any period will be considerably greater if they have pump-out than cassette.

Generally cassettes use far more frugal amounts of water to flush, that do most type of boat toilet discharging into a holding tank, (Ok that can be to some extent mitigated by not flushing after every "pee").

It's my guess that the location of many pump out stations probably means more use tanks that have to be emptied, than can actually discharge directly into sewers, but I admit I don't have country-wide data to back that up. Certainly in dscussions with managers from South-East Waterways we were told that "most" sanitary stations there are not on main drainage.

Certainly not true in the case of our pump out. It uses very little water to flush. A person on a boat generates the same amount of sewage whether using a pump out or a cassette.

The state of most of the elsan disposal points on the systems is generally disgusting. That is why, having had both systems, I prefer the pump out. Not self pump out of course. It is no use blaming self pumpouts for all of the mess in these disposal points. Emptying a cassete into a bowl is a messy and disgusting process.

We use casettes, but may be tempted to go for the pumpout route. Would you say it would be better?

What about a composting toilet? There was a thread recently ...

John

Interesting -

The reason Mercia only has one Elsan emptying point for the whole marina is because it empties into a underground holding tank.

Severn Trent water have so far not allowed them to install more (that would need to drain into the main sewerage system) because of concerns about the addition of the chemicals to cassettes.

ISTM that the way to solve the problem of poisoning sewage works is to take the blue and green poisons of the market and only allow stuff like Bio-Magic.

N

Do tell us more. Whaley Bridge and Bugsworth have both been closed down because United Utilities has complained that chemical toilet waste is upsetting their sewage works. If this is copied elswhere I could see a lot of canals turning blue or green :-(

I recall the story here was that the local 'pump out boat' was discharging huge quantities at once into the sani-stations and that the United Utilities systems couldn't cope with such volume at once.

My prediction for what it is worth is that the network of self-pump out machines run by BW will be closed down over the coming years OR contracted to a national provider who will naturally increase the cost to one which reflects the cost of maintaining the service.

Edited by RichardH

My prediction for what it is worth is that the network of self-pump out machines run by BW will be closed down over the coming years OR contracted to a national provider who will naturally increase the cost to one which reflects the cost of maintaining the service.

Sounds like a great idea, as I am sure that they would insist that BW ban Self Pumpout.

Not so sure about that. Most farms (and perhpas marinas) are a bit off the main sewer line and unless lots of pennies are paid to lay lots of pipes to the nearest sewer, I think that most farms and perhaps marinas use a septic tank rather than main sewers. With a septic tank you do NOT use any chemiclas at all or it affects whatever happens in the tamks. The owner has to pay to have his tank emptied which is perhpas why some marinas are a bit reluctant to let you put anything into their tank. With caravans sites, you pay a fee to camp there and that will be probably pitched at a level to cover the emptying of the septic tank.

haggis

Sorry, I didn't type fast enough and this almost repeats what has just been said. Great minds and all that :-)

All property round us is on septic tanks and no matter what notices you put up on our toilets there are things that others dump down the toilet end up in the tank for us to clean out. The proper stuff (SH1, pee, water from washing machine with non bio powder) should normally form a crust, and it does - looks real nice - and by the third chamber is just dirty water - which then disperses across the fild via pipes. But the amount this system can convert is limited - 4 is ok but 6 is not on!

Edited by Tiny

Surely the best solution would be to include the cost of civilised sewage disposal in the licence fee, ie "free" pump out points. Sensible storage tank based systems would, over time, become the norm, the use of chemicals could be properly prescribed and policed and the unpleasant job of carrying containers of human faeces to pour down open receptacles would be confined, like the night soil man, to the past.

Surely the best solution would be to include the cost of civilised sewage disposal in the licence fee, ie "free" pump out points. Sensible storage tank based systems would, over time, become the norm, the use of chemicals could be properly prescribed and policed and the unpleasant job of carrying containers of human faeces to pour down open receptacles would be confined, like the night soil man, to the past.

Agreed. EA on the Nene do this and I believe the pump out at March is free.

Sue

Don't use chemicals at all.Found, i think they were becoming weaker and weaker anyway,and found i was using more and more and buying more,I've not used the stuff for years.Everything seems to break down better too.

All sanitory stations,simply just need a peg on a bit of string,clip on to your bugle, close your eyes and get on with it.

Have noticed too that self pump out's make plenty of mess too,as there's often ''staining''on the path at the site where those shiny stainless steel machines stand. At least by emptying all types inside the station,its contained behind a closed door. Get up to Wilko and get some pegs (wooden are best) bizzard :detective:

Don't use chemicals at all.Found, i think they were becoming weaker and weaker anyway,and found i was using more and more and buying more,I've not used the stuff for years.Everything seems to break down better too.

All sanitory stations,simply just need a peg on a bit of string,clip on to your bugle, close your eyes and get on with it.

Have noticed too that self pump out's make plenty of mess too,as there's often ''staining''on the path at the site where those shiny stainless steel machines stand. At least by emptying all types inside the station,its contained behind a closed door. Get up to Wilko and get some pegs (wooden are best) bizzard :detective:

I think my point is made.

I think my point is made.

I thought that ''Fountains'' the company that mows towpath grass ect,cleaned all.BW's sanny's once a week,they do at the B.Stortford one,and its always quite clean.The folk who make a mess,probably would make a mess whatever system they used.

Gaaaaaaaas!Get an ex WW2 gas mask,space suite,waders, those who are particular. bizzard

Why don't they just ban the chemicals? Remove them from the chandleries... only a handful of stalwarts will go to the trouble of ordering them in elsewhere if organice euqivalents are what's readily available in the marinas. In my experience it's the marina's with pump out machines who put the ruddy chemicals in your tank!

BW woman at Kidsgrove told me today that the Whaley Bridge services are back in action.

That sounds like good news. I understand they closed the elsan point to check if it was boat chemicals upsetting the sewage works. Given the small quantities of chemical involved (remember just how diluted it is even in your own tank before being discharged into the sewer), I could not believe boats were the culprits.

This sewage works has a history of going "off" and stinking to high heaven. It has been fined on at least one occasion for polluting the river Goyt. Perhaps they will now look for the real culprits.

That sounds like good news. I understand they closed the elsan point to check if it was boat chemicals upsetting the sewage works. Given the small quantities of chemical involved (remember just how diluted it is even in your own tank before being discharged into the sewer), I could not believe boats were the culprits.

This sewage works has a history of going "off" and stinking to high heaven. It has been fined on at least one occasion for polluting the river Goyt. Perhaps they will now look for the real culprits.

Never known it stink as badly as the one at Shepley on the Lower PF.