Where do you store your Anchor

Featured Posts

Hi,

Where so peopl keep their anchar we have a Danforth style one which just gets in the way in the cratch.

Anyone have any brilliant solutions where to keep the thing?

Cheers

Peter

Well I hope I'm not stating the obvious but wherever it is it needs to be accessible quickly especially on the rivers where it is required - the only boat we have ever had with one was a hire boat when we did the Leicester ring and it was on the floor in the front cockpit, I didn't think it was particularly in the way there and it was readily available should I have needed it.

I have also seen them on the roofs of boats too.

Ours largely lives on our garage at home!

It only gets an outing on the boat if we are expecting to be on rivers, because it really is a bit of a pain to have to keep avoiding.

A similar technique applies with a plank. We very seldom carry one, and I doubt if we have used one more than about 3 times since buying the boat.

In fact we now use a similar approach with the TV, which is generally left at home too.

Most of the time we have no need for any of these things, as it turns out.

Hi,

Where so peopl keep their anchar we have a Danforth style one which just gets in the way in the cratch.

Cheers

Peter

Hi

Make a bracket in stainless with a 'V' to slide the base/stand into. Bolt this down on any flat surface.

Because my anchor is stainless I have a security bolt through it that I remove on rivers.

I have 3ft tube at the back that supports the leg of the anchor with a bracket and 'R' clip, the chain goes through this. The chain is stored below deck.

Alex

DSCF1378.jpg

On Warrior, on the very front of the tug deck.

On Chertsey, it's currently on top of one of the water tanks (if it hasn't been nicked yet).

Andante had a little bracket for storing it upright in the front of the cratch where it took up very little space. It's the chain and line that is more of a nuisance in my experience, than the anchor itself.

Of course, where you store it isn't necessarily where you deploy it. As long as you're on the canals, you can store it somewhere fairly inaccessible; if you're on a trip where you're likely to need it then it isn't really stored, it's in use, and where it is will in theory depend on whether you're travelling up- or downriver and where there's a good strong fixing point for it.

Under the steps at the front of the boat... thats where it should be anyway but its been sat under the cratch cover since we went on holiday back in september. Its one of the bf's get round to it jobs to put it back where it should be. :rolleyes:

Our chain is kept in a bucket with a lid and a hole in the top, keeps it tidy and easy to get to when we do need to get it out.

I do. Mind it's a gas free boat.

Tony

Me too, front locker when not in use, onto of locker in rivers. I would suggest you look at a bracket inside the cratch on the face of the gas locket or a stand on the roof to lay it on. Rope and chain in a bucket

Its a tricky one isn't it?

On the canals..mine lives under the seats in the cratch area..but when we head for rivers I have to get all the old tins etc out of the way..and drag it out.

I then put it on the roof with line,chain etc attached and run a security wire with combination lock which I put through a mushroom vent. I figure that the combination lock is better because I would not be fumbling for a key and can throw it off the roof straight in..the other end attaches to a fixing on the bow.

That's the theory..but wether it would all work like that if we were adrift, I dont know ?

Interested in other ideas here...

Bob

When we're on canals - in the engine bay, on the counter. We've got a cruiser stern.

When we're on rivers - under the bow seat.

In both cases pointed end forwards, and the chain is in a plastic builder's bucket (we've got a LOT of chain). To move it all from the back to the front (or vice versa) I put it on the bank and move the boat instead.

Its a tricky one isn't it?

On the canals..mine lives under the seats in the cratch area..but when we head for rivers I have to get all the old tins etc out of the way..and drag it out.

I then put it on the roof with line,chain etc attached and run a security wire with combination lock which I put through a mushroom vent. I figure that the combination lock is better because I would not be fumbling for a key and can throw it off the roof straight in..the other end attaches to a fixing on the bow.

That's the theory..but wether it would all work like that if we were adrift, I dont know ?

Interested in other ideas here...

Bob

If I need to use my anchor in an emergency I wouldn't want to be trying to remember a lock combination.

Our anchor is kept in the rear counter, where it is easily accessible to me when steering.

I know all the theory about always keeping the anchor at the upstream end, but there is not much point in that if you have to leave the tiller and run to the other end of the boat to drop the anchor in.

Half the time it is at the correct end any way, and when not, it is much better to be able to get hold of it quickly, even if it does mean the boat swinging round.

Edited by David Schweizer

Oh, that anchor.

Mine hangs on a bracket at the front of the foredeck, beneath the cratch cover. But, the anchor 'cable' permanently goes around the for'd T stud in a half hitch, so that should I have to use it in a hurry, all I need do is unzip the left hand side of the cratch cover, and heave it out. The boat should then swing on the T stud instead of the corner of the cratch, which makes sense. But then I'm on fast flowing tidal rivers a lot.

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter

If I need to use my anchor in an emergency I wouldn't want to be trying to remember a lock combination.

Its OK..its one I have used for about 15 years...takes me seconds...and I never really scramble it that much anyway..but nice of you to be concerned...

Bob

Hi,

Cheers

Peter

My boat has a very short front "deck" below the T stud with a small locker below it. I have fitted a hawser pipe sightly behind and to the left of the cratch with the anchor rode shackled to a strong point welded inside the locker. The chain passes up the hawser tube and around the cratch board into the well deck. The anchor is stowed vertically on the well deck floor tied into a U shaped bracket secured to the bulkhead in front of the well deck/behind the locker. The cord securing it to the bracket is always tied with a bow for quick release ad the bracket is covered in plastic hose to suppress rattles.

The anchor is easy to deploy (providing you can lift kg) but can be a bit of a pig to recover around the cratch board. Once you have worked the lift back so you can stand on one of the side locker seats its fine.

When on a canal - Anchor, 20' chain & 70' rope in a plastic 'tote box' in't engine hole. (Cruiser stern)

When on the river :

If I'm going to need the anchor, i'll probably be needing it quickly (engine failure passing a weir for example)

The end of the rope is fastened to the front T.

The rope runs backwards along the roof and down into the plastic tote box on the rear deck (well out of the way for steering)The balance of the rope and the chain are coiled in the tote box in 'reverse' so the anchor is on top.

In the event of an emergency just throw the anchor overboard, no running to the pointy end to deploy. The anchor will then set and I'll be pointing the right way.