Caldon canal

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Its lovely once you get out of Stoke, it's a must do.

However, the river sections might be a bit feisty after this weeks rain, they do calm down quite quickly though.

As Matty said, and the closer you get to Froghall the better it gets

In the 1960s BW offered to maintain and repair the canal as far as Hazlehurst locks on condition the canal society drop their campaign for restoration to Froghall - Ben Fradley, the then chairman of the canal society, is alleged to have replied "we are not being shown to the garden gate and then being barred from entering the garden" 

• Love 1
  • Happy 1

50 minutes ago, Annie cariad said:

Heading north ,after Ashby,will pass start of Caldon canal is it worth a look ? Not a canal I have seen\heard much about 

Very boring

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Annie cariad said:

...Caldon canal is it worth a look ? ...

AM-JKLWg1KjzyejMIxhJMIb9wb2Esyvj2ULHanz2

AM-JKLWId0AJIVSkG2PHdjDx4esMQhIXCM7WsZCc

Hazelhurst aqueduct Caldon C Leek Branch over its Main Line - that's a unique feature

spacer.png

Consall Station 

AM-JKLVmecbgLNtyxIYZBrn1NzedyGgCHDbGT2C2

Hazelhurst Junction  And the top lock on the main  line

L1302_20070318_0069

CherryEye Bridge

spacer.png

roundabout near Endon Basin

L1889_20120720_0233.JPG

Etruria Staircase

I've been on the Caldon since Christmas. As already said, get past Stoke and from Milton onwards it is much better.

Currently, Elsan not working at Endon (although it was reopened on 14th somebody blocked it a day or so ago) and canal is silted up at Consall Forge (CRT due to fix end of March) so you can't get to the services at Froghall even if you could fit through the very low tunnel.

Some nice pubs along the way - the Hollybush at Denford and especially the Black Lion at Consall Forge.

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

I've been on the Caldon since Christmas. As already said, get past Stoke and from Milton onwards it is much better.

Currently, Elsan not working at Endon (although it was reopened on 14th somebody blocked it a day or so ago) and canal is silted up at Consall Forge (CRT due to fix end of March) so you can't get to the services at Froghall even if you could fit through the very low tunnel.

Some nice pubs along the way - the Hollybush at Denford and especially the Black Lion at Consall Forge.

Leek isn't a bad place either - short hike from the canal but some good pubs, and you have to go through the other mad tunnel on the canal to get to it

1049-4258.jpg

Edited by StephenA

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

The Black Lion at Consall Forge used to be absolutely splended, chickens and all, but they had a bad fire a couple of years back and AFAIK have not completely reopened, at least for the excellent food they used to do as well -- I presume the beer is as good as ever, anyone been recently to confirm what it's like now?

The Caldon is probably my favourite canal. There is something fascinating about knowing how industrial it was and what it looks like now. We found moorings overnight in the park to be fine - quiet and the locals were friendly. I always think it is a good sign when families are out enjoying the area and that was very much the case.

The Black Lion is one of my favourites - not been since the fire though. The other feature which may be of interest is that the largest surviving elm tree I am aware of is very near the junction with the Leek branch.

Alec

• Greenie 2

It is a lovely canal and I’m surprised I’ve never revisited. In order to take me back I never did the bit to Leek. 

As all have said the pub at the end is good. Up in my top 10. A week lost in there with Dmr. 

And I think it was Milton where I found a really good butcher. The type of place that’ll ask you how thick you want the bacon sliced. I imagine they’re no longer there. 

and there’s a decent pub there too, I remember quite a bend with a winding hole and a pub just there. Can’t remember the name. But I’m sure I remember it for the Bass. Dmr might remind me. 

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

The Foxley is on the sharp bend.

Just googled and yea that seems to be the one. 
Although it looks like it’s had a make over and poshed up a bit since we went in. 

I’ve a vague memory of it being a pub that was one that was reluctant to open, the type of pub that lets you sit in the semi dark with the lights off. And the person behind the bar disappears for ages while you wait to be served. And it’s deadly silent because there’s no one else in. But it’s awhile ago, maybe 8 years? I could be getting me pubs mixed up mind. I remember liking it anyway. 

Another thing I can’t remember are the locks, other than the staircase of course. 
But I remember the River bit was lovely. 

eta: remember getting through Froghall Tunnel with room to spare. 

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

55 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Just googled and yea that seems to be the one. 
Although it looks like it’s had a make over and poshed up a bit since we went in. 

I’ve a vague memory of it being a pub that was one that was reluctant to open, the type of pub that lets you sit in the semi dark with the lights off. And the person behind the bar disappears for ages while you wait to be served. And it’s deadly silent because there’s no one else in. But it’s awhile ago, maybe 8 years? I could be getting me pubs mixed up mind. I remember liking it anyway. 

Another thing I can’t remember are the locks, other than the staircase of course. 
But I remember the River bit was lovely. 

eta: remember getting through Froghall Tunnel with room to spare. 

It was all a long time ago and a bit alcoholic, and on the way back your mate turned up with a large quantiy of west country cider.

I think we went into the Foxley but there was also another pub further on, I can remember a bit about the inside but little else, ill have a play wih Google Earth and see if I can remind myself.. 

We all went through the tunnel in your boat and it fitted easily.

To the op....its a lovely canal with a lot of variety and interest packed into a relativelt short distance.

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

It was all a long time ago and a bit alcoholic, and on the way back your mate turned up with a large quantiy of west country cider.

I think we went into the Foxley but there was also another pub further on, I can remember a bit about the inside but little else, ill have a play wih Google Earth and see if I can remind myself.. 

We all went through the tunnel in your boat and it fitted easily.

To the op....it’s a lovely canal with a lot of variety and interest packed into a relativelt short distance.

yea it was the Badgers Arse trip!!

short distance yes, 

10 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

yea it was the Badgers Arse trip!!

short distance yes, 

Maybe the Red Lion at Cheddleton? but looking at the www it looks much posher than I remember it.

Can you still get the Badgers Arse? it as very good.

43 minutes ago, dmr said:

Maybe the Red Lion at Cheddleton? but looking at the www it looks much posher than I remember it.

Can you still get the Badgers Arse? it as very good.

Sadly no ☹️

..we had a session on it before going through Harecastle. 
Happy Days. 

10 hours ago, Annie cariad said:

Heading north ,after Ashby,will pass start of Caldon canal is it worth a look ? Not a canal I have seen\heard much about 

So, no Mike, not worth bothering with.

14 hours ago, IanD said:

I'll ask again -- any recent feedback on the Black Lion?

(the Caldon's on our list of possibles for this year)

It wasn't great last Autumn. 

We made an effort to get there - in the dark, to be told they were now closed, despite the fact that the locals carried on being served in the marquee area for another hour. It was 8pm on a Saturday evening.

There was no seating inside the pub, but apparently if you check on Facebook they do occasionally do basic food, burgers etc.

It was closed the following Monday but we did find the landlord happily supporting the other "Lion" at Cheddleton!

The pub at Froghall station had very recently reopened, the new owners were enthusiastic but we couldn't help wondering about the choice of decor, considering the customers they're likely to get from the station.