Things that amaze me

Peugeot 106

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Bumblebee nests are made of velcro, so they can stick themselves to the walls when they want to sleep. 😀

Ha! I knew I’d get a sensible answer on this forum! Faith in life restored :)

16 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Bumblebee nests are made of velcro, so they can stick themselves to the walls when they want to sleep. 😀

I thought hedgehogs ate them. Maybe they tenderise them first as they must stick to Velcro pretty well

• Happy 1

Talking of spiders, I had one living in and around my driver's wing mirror. It was quite big. I rather hoped it would blow off while I was driving but it didn't. I didn't want to squish it so I drove to a carpark in the north of the city, fished it and its cobweb off with a bit of branch and put it on a hedge at the edge of the carpark. Then I drove straight home. The next day there was a new cobweb on my wing mirror! It was either back or I had some of its family still with me. Nevertheless I was gobsmacked. Clever creatures although very scary.

Screenshot_20240206-213135.png

Edited by MrsM

I've always been kind to spiders but it is coming up to 30 yars living on Boats (4th April 1994) and my ways have changed. Zero tolerance. 

I've tried throwing them overboard but they are good swimmers and always come back. 

So they have to die. I don't particularly like killing other animals in general but could get used to it. 

18 hours ago, magnetman said:

I've always been kind to spiders but it is coming up to 30 yars living on Boats (4th April 1994) and my ways have changed. Zero tolerance. 

I've tried throwing them overboard but they are good swimmers and always come back. 

So they have to die. I don't particularly like killing other animals in general but could get used to it. 

Spiders kill flies.

Flies shit on your food.

Spiders don't.

Don't kill spiders.

Edited by MJG

5 hours ago, magnetman said:

The airblade drier is another one. I'll never go near one. Why would you put your hands between two surfaces everyone else has put their hands if you want to be clean? I'd rather have my own germs thanks. 

A hand drier should involve air moving downwards not sideways. 

Are you telling us those Dysons in the gents in pubs are not urinals?

This explains all the trouble I've been having....

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

If you’re amazed by a maze, then a maze made of maize must truly amaze ;) 

How about "If you’re amazed by a maze, then a maze made of maise full of maids may amaze" ?  Incidently the maids are all called Grace.

On 05/02/2024 at 18:10, MtB said:

... who peer knowingly at my Kelvin and ask "Is it a Lister?"

or those who used to peer at my Kevin and ask if it was a steam engine.  Also I've met lots of people who think that the hydraulic pipes on the ellum of my butty are for power steering.  I even had a couple of people who, in all seriousness, thought that they were for brakes!!!

• Greenie 4

47 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

How about "If you’re amazed by a maze, then a maze made of maise full of maids may amaze" ?  Incidently the maids are all called Grace.

What about maids called Maud. 

It took me ages to realise my Iphone charger wasn't fitting due to grot fluff and crud infiltrated from my pocket compacting in the charger part of the phone.

Three firends had the same problem and one had ditched theirs. I wonder how many iphones are sold as not working as charger wont fit anymore? 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

It took me ages to realise my Iphone charger wasn't fitting due to grot fluff and crud infiltrated from my pocket compacting in the charger part of the phone.

Three firends had the same problem and one had ditched theirs. I wonder how many iphones are sold as not working as charger wont fit anymore? 

Me too. I had this and only realised when I upgraded the phone.

Mine was actually still charging but the fluff build-up would spontaneously and randomly eject the charging lead, making charging the phone quite an unreliable affair! I sidestepped the problem by upgrading to an iphone with wireless charging.  MUCH better.

43 minutes ago, MtB said:

Me too. I had this and only realised when I upgraded the phone.

Mine was actually still charging but the fluff build-up would spontaneously and randomly eject the charging lead, making charging the phone quite an unreliable affair! I sidestepped the problem by upgrading to an iphone with wireless charging.  MUCH better.

Maybe charge ports should be on the top

Back to binoculars, when they are out of alignment (collimation) I can detect it straight away, even if only slightly out of alignment, if it's bad it makes me go cross eyed! Now what amazes me is when someone thinks they are ok, wtf!? 

Edited by nb Innisfree
Spelling
  • Greenie 1

14 hours ago, MrsM said:

Talking of spiders, I had one living in and around my driver's wing mirror.

I recall when visiting my in laws in Australia, how my brother in law opened the shed to remove something, squirted inside with "Fogger", then shut the door for 15 mins to kill spiders. This was fresh in my memory when 2 mornings later, there was a spiders web between the mirror and the door on the car. He squirted behind the mirror and then collapsed laughing when I took off like a bat out of hell as a spider was ejected from behind the mirror.

On the boat we have a resident spider who will descend from the deckhead of an evening when things settle down and wewatch TV or read. It isquite reassuring that it has been there for many years. We also have a spider at home and when decorating the landing once, I found lots of skins behind an inaccessible corner above the stairs wallpaper.

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

His farming business now owns half of Lincolnshire (very slight exageration)

He's got us boxed in on 3 sides here and owns the only access road

Two 20p coins placed together one on top of the other can substitute for a £1 coin in order to release a supermarket trolley.

(I'm easily amazed).