Why did you choose your layout ...

phillarrow

Featured Posts

...and what, if anything, do you wish you had that you haven't got?

So, I'm guessing that whether you had a boat built, bought a stock boat, or bought second hand, the layout was a pretty big factor in your choice. To that end ( and for the benefit of a total newbie doing research) what layout do you have and what, in your opinion, are the benefits and drawbacks of it?

Also, if you could change/add/remove just one thing about your layout, what would it be?

Cheers, Phill

Stem to Stern. Large saloon. Bathroom. Fitted bed. Dining area. Galley. Rear door to cruiser stern.

if! We fall out with one another we go to either end. Then meet up again mid-ships.(funnily enough that’s where the bedroom is!!

In reality this has never happened.  I guess we have been married too long for all this romantic stuff.

The layout just suits us.

• Happy 1

I got the layout I wanted cabin wise, but a very long L shaped dinette wasted space so I did cut it down, turn it into a U shaped dinette and had space for a cupboard just in front of it. by making one corner of the front leg of the U angled, I could get another small cupboard on the other side of the door.

After some years I took the hire boat single beds out of the back cabin, turned the airing cupboard/boiler cupboard through 90 degrees so it now sits along the back bulkhead. Installed a stove, and, again by building the door at an angle, fitted a broom/cleaning cupboard on the other side of the back door. I got a pair of bed chairs for this are that could have their arms removed and be bolted together to form a double bed or left as two singles.

Typical hire boat - saloon with dinette, kitchen, double bedroom, bathroom and rear bedroom/sitting room.

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

if! We fall out with one another we go to either end.

Funnily enough, we found that useful, especially as I like to watch TV of an evening while my wife prefers to read and listen to the radio. We had a small TV in the back room and a car radio in the front.  I used the rear speaker connections to supply a pair of speakers in the back cabin using the fader t control the volume.

• Happy 1

56 minutes ago, phillarrow said:

...and what, if anything, do you wish you had that you haven't got?

So, I'm guessing that whether you had a boat built, bought a stock boat, or bought second hand, the layout was a pretty big factor in your choice. To that end ( and for the benefit of a total newbie doing research) what layout do you have and what, in your opinion, are the benefits and drawbacks of it?

Also, if you could change/add/remove just one thing about your layout, what would it be?

Cheers, Phill

Custom build, 60' long electric/series hybrid. Starting from the (closed-in) bows, "reverse" layout with bedroom/bathroom/saloon/dinette/kitchen/stern (semi-trad). More sociable while cruising than a "traditional" layout, especially with more than 2 people on board. Bathroom is walk-through with full-size shower. Saloon and dinette/kitchen are separated by doors/bulkhead for privacy (e.g. working, playing music). Entry/exit at stern is into (galley) kitchen rather than muddy feet and cold air into bedroom. Bedroom is cosier and quieter and wider bed is more feasible since it isn't a through route. Kitchen has fridge and freezer and washer/drier but no dishwasher (no space), cooking is all-electric. Roof is covered in solar panels, cocooned diesel generator and CH boiler in stern (no gas).

Not a route a lot of people have gone down so far, has many advantages but also -- like everything on boats -- some disadvantages, cost being the biggest one... 😞

Haven't found anything I would change so far, let's hope it stays that way... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Happy 1

Back to Front -> Bedroom, bathroom, Galley, Lounge.  Known as 'Standard Layout'. We looked at lots of boats before deciding this was best for us.

Chose this layout as the bedroom is at the back, so hidden and dark. The bathroom is to one side and not a walk through one, so we don't cut off part of the boat - it doesn't need to have the room anyway. The Galley is a U shaped one so people don't get in the way of the cook! The lounge fills up the rest of the boat and is bright and airy as the front doors have windows also. It originally had an L shaped dinette and built in sofa/bed but these were uncomfortable so took them both out and used the table as a breakfast bar near the kitchen with some bar stools and bought a proper sofa/bed - so much nicer!

I wouldn't change any more as it works perfectly for us. The boat is a Semi-trad stern, so have room at the back for guests etc - i have a cover that goes over it so i can still work on the engine etc in the rain!

• Happy 1

I don't think layout matters that much, at least not to me. One thing I would always have though is the main entrance next to the bedroom. On mine that's the bow doors as they're just easier to open/close than the sliding hatch and rear doors. Visitors might find it odd entering the boat through the bedroom, however the advantage is that the bedroom and bedding gets regularly aired without you having to think about it because you're using those doors. Also even on bright winter days my bow doors are open if it's not too cold.

IMG_20210404_120228.jpg

Edited by blackrose

15 minutes ago, Lady M said:

Whereas I'd say the opposite!  I also wonder if different types of usage may, at least to some extent, be best suited by different layouts.

I would agree with both points -- the second one in particular should be obvious, but that doesn't stop some people saying "My layout (or stern, or heating, or toilet, or...) is best, yours is rubbish because..." while ignoring the fact that (for example) a retired solo full-time liveaboard has very different needs and preferences (and possibly budget...) to a working second-home/holiday boater.

Every single thing in a constrained narrowboat is a compromise with advantages and disadvantages, there's no single "right" or "best" solution for everybody -- but there can certainly be for one particular boater... 🙂

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Our shared owners boat is reverse layout, ie from the rear-galley, dinette, bathroom, fixed double, lounge with en-suite.  This suited us when our son and daughter came with us as it allowed three distinct sleeping areas each with access to a WC at night without disturbing anybody.

• Happy 1

Our 52ft ex-Black Prince has had I think two previous owners who changed the layout. When we got her, from stern to bow the layout was Stern -> Bed -> Bathroom -> Big empty space -> Dinette -> Galley -> Bow. We shifted the dinette back into the empty space and fit a sofa between it and the galley such that it was then Dinette -> Sofa -> Galley, the idea being that since the stove was installed directly next to the galley, it made more sense to have the L sofa there facing the stove for those cold winter evenings. Not a lot I'd change to the layout to be honest, though I do like the thought of having a reverse layout with a closed bow a-la Ian D's boat.

• Happy 1

44 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I don't think layout matters that much, at least not to me. One thing I would always have though is the main entrance next to the bedroom. On mine that's the bow doors as they're just easier to open/close than the sliding hatch and rear doors. Visitors might find it odd entering the boat through the bedroom, however the advantage is that the bedroom and bedding gets regularly aired without you having to think about it because you're using those doors. Also even on bright winter days my bow doors are open if it's not too cold.

IMG_20210404_120228.jpg

Excellent point... the means of access probably dictates the layout that works for you?  We access our boat via the bow doors so its nice we go straight into the lounge, but if you access via the rear then that might not be so ideal for us...

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I thought you'd just done that in reverse - turned half a tonne of gold into a boat!

It sometimes seems like that... 😉

(but only about 6kg really...)

Edited by IanD

Yes I have lived on 8 different boats over a 30 yar period and apart from the 24ft motorsailer which was too small they have all been Good. 

Its important not to get too agitated about exact layouts as perfection is not in fact an option.

Most things which are well designed do work alright. 

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yes I have lived on 8 different boats over a 30 yar period and apart from the 24ft motorsailer which was too small they have all been Good. 

Its important not to get too agitated about exact layouts as perfection is not in fact an option.

Most things which are well designed do work alright. 

Agreed that perfection is impossible -- but on most of the boats I've been on there have been things that weren't well designed, where I thought "Why on earth did they do that (or didn't do this)?"

Still, it helps if the overall layout of a boat suits your requirements, then a few niggles aren't such a big problem... 🙂

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Isn't that funny? That is literally the opposite, and the opposite reason, of what we have in mind! I do like how we are all different and I know it's very much a 'horses for courses' thing, but I still like it when I come across such an opposing view to what, in my mind, feels like the 'best' way! 

Do you not find that you end up traipsing mud through your bedroom?

Thanks for the replies so far. 

Two things have surprised me...

1. The view that layout is less important than I thought. I'm not disagreeing with this viewpoint by the way, I think I was just assuming that everyone who has spent a lot of time on a narrowboat would feel strongly about what is the right layout for their own needs. It's comforting in a way to hear that it might be less important than this.

2. Nobody has yet mentioned any kind of utility space? My favourite part of every house I've lived in has been the porch. Somewhere to dump coats, boots, wellies, umbrellas etc. without dragging the mud and wet into the home. I'm surprised that this isn't something people have/want/miss?

Edited by phillarrow

29 minutes ago, phillarrow said:

2. Nobody has yet mentioned any kind of utility space? My favourite part of every house I've lived in has been the porch. Somewhere to dump coats, boots, wellies, umbrellas etc. without dragging the mud and wet into the home. I'm surprised that this isn't something people have/want/miss?

whats that?  free space?  :)

1 hour ago, phillarrow said:

Isn't that funny? That is literally the opposite, and the opposite reason, of what we have in mind! I do like how we are all different and I know it's very much a 'horses for courses' thing, but I still like it when I come across such an opposing view to what, in my mind, feels like the 'best' way! 

1. The view that layout is less important than I thought. I'm not disagreeing with this viewpoint by the way, I think I was just assuming that everyone who has spent a lot of time on a narrowboat would feel strongly about what is the right layout for their own needs. It's comforting in a way to hear that it might be less important than this.

It's called an engine room. 😁👍

• Happy 2

1 hour ago, phillarrow said:

Get a big boat if you want separate areas. My last was a tad short at 68 feet but it meant we had a separate utility room at the rear with washing machine, tumble dryer etc all out the way. Our only stipulation on all our boats was it was the only MUST have was doors opening to the front for summer use left open. Others seem to like different layouts but each of us is different.

We seem to be the odd ones out. With our commercial NB we only had the back cabin most of the time or occasionally with the hold set up as a camping boat between bookings in the summer so we could take friends and the daughters friends on a trip then. After we sold the boats we decided to have a smaller boat so that we could go up North and WFBC has a Joey hull cut down to 50 ft which we decided to have converted. We wanted a traditional back end and an engine room and finished up with from stern boatman’s cabin but only a single pull down bed and with epping range to keep steerer (and cabin) warm when winter boating, engine room with fuel tanks under engine room floor .Through the door from engine room fixed double small hanging cupboard shower and toilet kitchen with full size gas cooker, hanging table leaf , 2 easy chairs. Beyond front door’s a covered cratch area with seats either side and storage under. The layout worked well and although we didn’t live on it full time we did spend 2 long summers on it in Ireland. This boat is now with a very happy owner.