Lifeboat liveaboard

Jay2903

Featured Posts

Hey guys, 

I’m in the process of buying a freefall lifeboat to convert into a liveaboard. It’s completely stripped including the original engine, just after for some advice on what engine to fit to it. I think It’s around 3000kg, don’t intend to take it offshore and just want the simplest solution.  Not really sure what others with these on the canals are doing in terms of cooling. 

help greatly appreciated

👍🏽

I would be tempted to put an outboard on it and keep the interior for accomodation. a Honda 15 would probably do the job if it is for canal use. 

They were originally fitted with two cylinder Listers or Sabbs I think around 20hp. 

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I would be tempted to put an outboard on it and keep the interior for accomodation. a Honda 15 would probably do the job if it is for canal use. 

They were originally fitted with two cylinder Listers or Sabbs I think around 20hp. 

It would be the simplest solution, but could limit electrical charging for the winter in a live on board boat.

Are the engine beds and stern tube still in place? If so probably fairly straightforward to fit a new inboard, if not an outboard would be easier.

Do you have a permanent mooring? If so the boat could remain unpowered. If you are thinking of CCing, then consider the availability of petrol over the area you will be in if you go for an outboard.

21 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I was thinking about that. building a little deck at the back. But because of the shape of the rear of the boat (it being tall at the back) I don’t think I’d be able to see ahead. 

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Are the engine beds and stern tube still in place? If so probably fairly straightforward to fit a new inboard, if not an outboard would be easier.

Do you have a permanent mooring? If so the boat could remain unpowered. If you are thinking of CCing, then consider the availability of petrol over the area you will be in if you go for an outboard.

Beds and stern tube are all there. The previous owner was intending on fitting a new inboard. I’m intending on CCing, getting petrol is fine. 
My biggest concern is how an inboard would be cooled on something like this ? 

41 minutes ago, Jay2903 said:

I’m in the process of buying a freefall lifeboat to convert into a liveaboard.

You don't say whereabouts you are, or where you intend to use the lifeboat but they are too wide for many of the canals so cannot be used.

There does appear to be a 'huddle' (is that what you call a mulitude of lifeboats ?) of them in waters around London, you may get some good advice on the 'London Boaters' facebook page.

One of the problems you will have is insulation (the lack of) for a liveaboard you are going to need some form of heating and some way of retaining the heat inside the boat.

Is it one of these ?

Freefall lifeboat - CFL 66 (E) - Fassmer - for ships

An old thread on the same subject.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You don't say whereabouts you are, or where you intend to use the lifeboat but they are too wide for many of the canals so cannot be used.

There does appear to be a 'huddle' (is that what you call a mulitude of lifeboats ?) of them in waters around London, you may get some good advice on the 'London Boaters' facebook page.

One of the problems you will have is insulation (the lack of) for a liveaboard you are going to need some form of heating and some way of retaining the heat inside the boat.

Is it one of these ?

I don't think insulation will be a problem as I thing the hull construction is foam sandwich

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Jay2903 said:

Beds and stern tube are all there. The previous owner was intending on fitting a new inboard. I’m intending on CCing, getting petrol is fine. 
My biggest concern is how an inboard would be cooled on something like this ? 

Is there a raw water intake somewhere low down? Most likely, I assume, in the original installation, raw water would have been taken in from here from the sea, pumped through a heat exchanger with the engine coolant, then ejected either overboard direct, or via the exhaust.

You don't say if you are looking at a new, or secondhand engine/gearbox. This will work on a canal boat and many do have this. Most modern canal boats use skin tank cooling, but you don't have that as an option. For a new marinised engine, look at the Beta Marine sea going range, eg. https://betamarine.co.uk/portfolio/beta-14/

Beta have dimensioned drawings of their range, so you can see how it fits on the engine beds and in the space available. If you go for an inboard engine, pick diesel. Inherently much safer and fewer boat safety requirements. Also easier to get fuel on the cut.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is it one of these ?

An old thread on the same subject.

Yea I’m in London there’s a good few where I’d be using it . I’d definitely have to insulate it well. 

How about an ex lifeboat Bukh, there seems to be a few around from engine traders. https://marineenterprises.co.uk/engines/bukh

Apart from the foam sandwich hull, a keel cooler could be fitted. I would not want the keel cooler through hull fittings to allow water to get into the foam.

7 minutes ago, Jay2903 said:

Yea I’m in London there’s a good few where I’d be using it . I’d definitely have to insulate it well. 

I think you'd be better asking your questions on the London Boaters page and / or folks in your planned CCing area - Good luck CCing around London, its getting harder.

Just before you hand over the cash - do you know that C&RT are increasing the licence fees for :

1) Boats CCing &

2) Boats over 7 feet wide.

You are going to get a double hit with the Lifeboat, plan on you licence being around £2000 per year starting next year and increasing by a large percentage every year.

Do a search on the C&RT website where the new fees are explained.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Yea I did know about that. Quite surprised they’re increasing prices so much so quickly. 

26 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

How about an ex lifeboat Bukh, there seems to be a few around from engine traders. https://marineenterprises.co.uk/engines/bukh

Apart from the foam sandwich hull, a keel cooler could be fitted. I would not want the keel cooler through hull fittings to allow water to get into the foam.

I didn’t see it before it was stripped. I don’t know how to explain it but it seems like the inner layer has been removed from most of it along with the material that would’ve sat between the inner and outer layers. 
I’m not sure if I’d have done this when stripping it in case I effected its structural integrity, but there is more space for insulation and whatever else. 

14 minutes ago, Jay2903 said:

Yea I did know about that. Quite surprised they’re increasing prices so much so quickly. 

C&RT have decided to implement pricing based on the philosophy "user pays" so liveabord CCers have a far greater use of the facilites provided than a 'holiday / weekend' boat.

If I spend (say) 3 months on the boat in the Summer I will be only emptying my toilet, filling my water tank, using the locks and other infrastructure roughly 25% of the times that you as a liveaboard (24/7/365) will do so.

Taking the philosophy  that 'user pays' you should be paying 4x the licence fees that I do.

If C&RT do not increase all of the fees then the Canals will just continue to decline until they become unusable - C&RT do not have sufficient income to maintain the canals and already have something like a £100 million backlog in necessary repairs.

Just now, Jay2903 said:

Is an air cooled engine an option, something like a lister TS2

You need to consider how you are going to heat your water (mostly canal boats heat the water via the 'water cooled' engine so you would not have that option.

You need to consider how you are going to generate electricity, it is far easy to get a 'modern engine'  to produce what you need. Many of the 'older' air cooled engines can have all sorts of problems when trying to get them to charge battery banks.

Wasn't the TS2 an Indian built 'industrial' engine that was not happy running at less than 2000RPM

Not absolutely sure - so many versions TS2, ST2, SR2 etc etc.

59 minutes ago, Jay2903 said:

I didn’t see it before it was stripped. I don’t know how to explain it but it seems like the inner layer has been removed from most of it along with the material that would’ve sat between the inner and outer layers. 
I’m not sure if I’d have done this when stripping it in case I effected its structural integrity, but there is more space for insulation and whatever else. 

If you have doubts regarding the structural integrity, then walk away.  There are plenty of other boats in sound condition.

Bod

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't think insulation will be a problem as I thing the hull construction is foam sandwich

Foam is not foam. The stuff under your bum in a car seat may not have great insulation properties, just as your sprayfoam doesn't work well as a cushion.

I don't know what foam the hull of these boats is made of but unless it's specifically designed for thermal insulation I'd imagine it might be too dense to function well as an insulation material on its own.

Edited by blackrose

Here’s one I saw for sale were

they’ve removed the inner layer - 

“The internal superstructure is oak, bonded to the hull with epoxy resin and fibreglass to add strength where the original internals of the boat were removed.” 

not sure if having it stripped like this is a plus or minus. 

IMG_1459.jpeg

• Love 1