Storm Babet

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, bluelapsing said:

Beginner question and maybe it belongs somewhere else but mooring during this heavy rain - is it OK to do so as usual or are there precautions you can take? 

The non-stop rain in Stafford is starting to worry me more than slightly 🤨

If you are on a canal, moor with your front and back ropes slightly further spread than normal(3or even 4 foot away from your pointy and back end), allowing your boat to rise if the canal does without holding it down.

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

I'm sure the canal at Stafford is higher than the river. I recall canoeing across various fields there in a flood in the late 90s but don't remember it being a problem for the boat which was moored on the canal. 

The lock down is currently being rebuilt, SteveCourty did a video recently.

• Greenie 1

On 19/10/2023 at 16:36, Tigerr said:

Looks like we might need to use the bowthrusters. Hopefully nobody will hear over the screaming wind and crashing waves. 

I am actually wondering if we will leave port at all tomorrow, but we are setting off from Southampton, evening, so by the time we hit the Forties (which looks like something out of The Perfect Storm) it will be Sunday, and maybe it will have calmed down. But if this thing from Portugal comes up the Channel I can see us stuck in Southampton for the weekend. 

Memories of an awful family holiday force 6 overnight crossing to Le Havre in the 1960's - the ferry was literally awash with puke...much of it mine. 

I used to love the cross channel runs when it was as rough as hell ..9/10 eat and drink as much as you liked for free as everyone else was as sick as a dog 

me and my mate mike just laughed it all off and had another brekkie with a chaser 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chris-B said:

I used to love the cross channel runs when it was as rough as hell ..9/10 eat and drink as much as you liked for free as everyone else was as sick as a dog 

me and my mate mike just laughed it all off and had another brekkie with a chaser 

I have been I  2 storms that I was 1 of 2 having breakfast, first in Norway in a LSL looking for a sinking trawler very rough LSLs are flat bottom ships. Second in the South Atlantic huge storm waves higher than our yacht I never ever want to repeat that experience. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, peterboat said:

Thanks Ange I think we have hit the top, tide is turning so river is running out faster thankfully x

That's great news Peter. I'm sure you won't sleep well tonight just in case but hoping all is good. I'll be thinking of you x

• Love 1

I'm at Stourbridge Canal Festival (on someone else's boat).

The river behind the Bonded Warehouse has completely filled the arch of the next bridge and backed up, flooding the beer tent.

People are still wandering about in the floodwater to get their beer.

The bywashes on the 16 would make a good whitewater canoe slalom course.

A few boats came in today, crew totally drenched. I would have been among them, but we had to turn Atlas back on Thursday after a hole appeared in the bottom. There are worse days' boating to have missed.

• Horror 1

3 hours ago, Francis Herne said:

A few boats came in today, crew totally drenched. I would have been among them, but we had to turn Atlas back on Thursday after a hole appeared in the bottom. There are worse days' boating to have missed.

I don't understand some boaters. Why would you move in such adverse conditions? In my opinion they don't seem to have understood the most basic "rule" of boating which is to move according to the prevailing conditions. I guess ignoring the conditions is part of the canal boating mindset because most of the time they're not having to think about currents or flooding, but it's a very dangerous mode of thinking if there are rivers which flow into the canal. I often see them getting into trouble because some of them don't have a clue and bring that ignorance with them when they do venture onto rivers.

Thankfully the river has levelled off overnight here in Worksop. 

There will be the start of the clean up in town today if the waters start to ease off.

Screenshot_20231021_065928_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4b4d5279df846a858dbf095590bf459d.jpg

Looking on Facebook Lincoln as predicted is also suffering with flooding. The Fossditch is very high.

From the news this morning. 

"the Environment Agency is monitoring Ladybower reservoir in Derbyshire, which is close to capacity after heavy rainfall. An overspill could cause major flooding along the River Derwent"

9 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Someone knows how to properly drive through flood water.

And here is someone who doesn't 🤣🤣🤣

https://fb.watch/nP9iOLSlRe/

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Thankfully the river has levelled off overnight here in Worksop. 

There will be the start of the clean up in town today if the waters start to ease off.

Screenshot_20231021_065928_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4b4d5279df846a858dbf095590bf459d.jpg

Looking on Facebook Lincoln as predicted is also suffering with flooding. The Fossditch is very high.

From the news this morning. 

"the Environment Agency is monitoring Ladybower reservoir in Derbyshire, which is close to capacity after heavy rainfall. An overspill could cause major flooding along the River Derwent"

And here is someone who doesn't 🤣🤣🤣

https://fb.watch/nP9iOLSlRe/

Laughing at the video not the mess everything is in thousands of homes and businesses ruined.the ex business went under last night at 2030! Problem is it was completely avoidable if Mangham  brook was cleaned out!.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, stagedamager said:

Langley Mill has been hit badly, the Erewash has burst it's banks, and the feeder from Moorgreen res has topped over at 5ft, flooding the boatyard and all our buildings, and topping the canal which has now flooded onto the road.

Hope the damage is not too bad. At least your living accommodation floats.

MP.

• Greenie 2

Morning all - a lot of boats on the move near me, but having never been in a storm or flood warning before I’m stuck wondering if it’s advisable to do that now the rain has stopped?

There are only a few locks between me and the next closure which is about 15 miles up the road in Alrewas. 

Ideally I’d like to get moving but no idea what it’s like further up from here and the CRT website (afaics) isn’t massively helpful…

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

i recall Alrewas is very dodgy after heavy rain. Not been there for many yars but isn"t it a canalised river around there ? I'm sure there were some unprotected weirs. 

Yep. Wychnor to Alrewas. The weir is barred off.

wier.jpg.616f1d11dd108a36feb65373c70da744.jpg

Edited by Higgs

7 minutes ago, bluelapsing said:

Morning all - a lot of boats on the move near me, but having never been in a storm or flood warning before I’m stuck wondering if it’s advisable to do that now the rain has stopped?

There are only a few locks between me and the next closure which is about 15 miles up the road in Alrewas. 

Ideally I’d like to get moving but no idea what it’s like further up from here and the CRT website (afaics) isn’t massively helpful…

If where you are moored now is safe I would be staying put and leaving things a few days to settle down if you can.

• Greenie 1