Moorings convenient for heritage railways

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Possible trip planning - and likely useful to others too. I'm thinking of places one could moor and have a ride on a heritage railway within walking distance. Kidderminster is an obvious one but I'm sure there are others. How close is the Churnet Valley Railway at Cheddleton for example? 

Doesn't need to be long haul jobby like the Severn Valley - just the opportunity to ride on a heritage train 

Thanks all! 

shackerstone station is right by the Ashby Canal. From memory, if you moor near the hackaduck you'll be very adjacent.

I see that the trendy phrase 'heritage railway' has reached CWSF, which is a pity, perhaps even a pita. What's wrong with 'preserved railways', as they have been called for half a century and more? Compare and contrast 'craft beer' v. 'real ale'.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Athy said:

shackerstone station is right by the Ashby Canal. From memory, if you moor near the hackaduck you'll be very adjacent.

I see that the trendy phrase 'heritage railway' has reached CWSF, which is a pity, perhaps even a pita. What's wrong with 'preserved railways', as they have been called for half a century and more? Compare and contrast 'craft beer' v. 'real ale'.

Fair comment - I was trying to avoid the term "Steam Railway" as they often run diesel traction too

Some are not preserved but arguably those aren't heritage either! Bure Valley for example, which is excellent, is only preserved or heritage in that it is (largely) on the historic track bed, it's narrow gauge rather than standard gauge and the locos and rolling stock bear no resemblance to those that once worked the line

Yes, we called into the Bure Valleyterminus station en passant last year, Fifteen inch gauge or thereabouts, isn't it? By the time we got there, the steam loco had finished its duties for the day and gone back to the shed, so all there was to look at was a neat little diesel and some coaches. File under 'tourist attration'. I'd say.

The actual station did 'feel'right despite the tiny tracks within.

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Bure Valley for example, which is excellent, is only preserved or heritage in that it is (largely) on the historic track bed, it's narrow gauge rather than standard gauge and the locos and rolling stock bear no resemblance to those that once worked the line

Agreed, I was as usual being mischievous suggesting it.

The old railway line runs through two local council areas. In one you have a footpath, in the other you have a narrow gauge railway and a footpath. I will leave the reader to draw their own conclusions.

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Anglesey Arm for Chasewater

Top of the Cannock Extension is in walking distance too.

Nene Valley Railway at several places from Yarwell to Peterborough.

Preston Docks Railway, and Bristol Harbour Railway.

The Vale of Berkeley group's sheds (and some rolling stock stored outside) at Sharpness are easily visited from the canal.

Dean Forest Railway from the Lydney Canal, although getting there makes it a bit of a technicality.

There are ride-on miniature railways at Diglis, Kinver, Avoncroft near the Queens Head at Tardebigge, and near Bridge 20 of the North Stratford.

Edited by Francis Herne
  • Greenie 1

Didcot isn’t too far, one bus from Thrupp train from Oxford Parkway to Didcot. 

Mooring near Hatton will fairly often get a good view of steam travel up Hatton Bank.  

Evesham Vale Light railway, again a bus ride really as Green Hill is a bit of a slog. 

Statfold Country Park Tamworth is another bus ride away. They have heritage weekends with old buses picking people up from Tamworth rail station. Highly recommended place these days. 

• Greenie 1