Licences

haggis

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd actually prefer £2 -14s - 0d but we are where we are !!

Point of Order...

£2 14s 0d ceased to exist on the day of decimalisation back in 1971. So in today's money it would be worth about £38.29.

2 hours ago, GUMPY said:

Just to rub it in the fully serviced marina where I kept Loddon was £2.43 per ft per month or £1750 a year. It only went up to that this year before it was £1600 😎

That's cheap -- where was it?

3 hours ago, GUMPY said:

Just to rub it in the fully serviced marina where I kept Loddon was £2.43 per ft per month or £1750 a year. It only went up to that this year before it was £1600 😎

23 minutes ago, IanD said:

That's cheap -- where was it?

3p per foot per week, is my first recollection of mooring charges.

• 3 months later...

My licence is due for renewal on April 1st and we have just received a complicated email from C&RT about moorings. It seems that in future we we may need to provide proof of our mooring contract at Calcutt. Apparently those that have changed mooring or acquired a mooring will need to provide proof of their mooring contact 28 days in advance of renewal. There is also something complicated about shorter moorings which did my head. 

Cheers Graham 

49 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

My licence is due for renewal on April 1st and we have just received a complicated email from C&RT about moorings. It seems that in future we we may need to provide proof of our mooring contract at Calcutt. Apparently those that have changed mooring or acquired a mooring will need to provide proof of their mooring contact 28 days in advance of renewal. There is also something complicated about shorter moorings which did my head. 

Cheers Graham 

I guess it is down to the fact that if you cannot prove ytou have a home mooring then you pay the additional licence fee for being a boat without a home mooring.

Its to you own benefit to provide the evidence.

Pretty much the same as we had to get a letter from our mooring provider for Brexit - if you could not prove your boat was in the UK at 11pm on 31st December 2020 then you would be charged VAT on the boat.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Pretty much the same as we had to get a letter from our mooring provider for Brexit - if you could not prove your boat was in the UK at 11pm on 31st December 2020 then you would be charged VAT on the boat.

A scare mongering story that came to nothing.

1 hour ago, Graham and Jo said:

My licence is due for renewal on April 1st and we have just received a complicated email from C&RT about moorings. It seems that in future we we may need to provide proof of our mooring contract at Calcutt. 

You ''may'' need to.

Previously C&RT have accept the information supplied and reserve the right to carry out random checks . Sounds like nothing has changed really.

45 minutes ago, Momac said:

A scare mongering story that came to nothing.

Our boat was designed and the shell built in Holland. Vat paid. The shell came to the UK where I fitted it out. Vat paid. It went to France after doing all the Southern England wide waterways  and will remain in the EU because If I bring it back to the UK I will have to pay VAT on the entire boat all over again despite paying a hell of a lot of Vat already in half a dozen countries including the UK. So not scaremongering at all.

Edited by Bee
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I guess it is down to the fact that if you cannot prove ytou have a home mooring then you pay the additional licence fee for being a boat without a home mooring.

Its to you own benefit to provide the evidence.

I've never yet been asked to prove I've a home mooring, but then as I pay them nearly a grand in EOG mooring fee they probably take it for granted. Looking at the rates per foot quoted above, my landlord charges me 83p per foot per month.

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've never yet been asked to prove I've a home mooring, but then as I pay them nearly a grand in EOG mooring fee they probably take it for granted. Looking at the rates per foot quoted above, my landlord charges me 83p per foot per month.

But previously you have never had to pay a surcharge to get a licence if you don't have a home mooring.

Things change over time and we are now entering a new era of licence fees, licence types, and boat licence by width as well as length.

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But previously you have never had to pay a surcharge to get a licence if you don't have a home mooring.

Things change over time and we are now entering a new era of licence fees, licence types, and boat licence by width as well as length.

If they want me to pay a surcharge of £80 because they have no proof I've got a mooring, instead of £900 in EOG fees because I tell them I have, I'm certainly not going to argue.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well our marina produced the certificates without us even having to ask.

So have you used the certificate to avoid paying VAT?

1 minute ago, Momac said:

So have you used the certificate to avoid paying VAT?

We were stopped by a 'Border Control' boat as we came down the Lincolnshire/Norfolk coast, we had to show the 'ships papers' (which included the location declaration) and declare that all on board were UK residents / citizens (forgetting that the Daughter in law is a Fillipino and not a UK citizen) Fortunately they did not ask to view passports.

Why have you changed your forum name ?

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why have you changed your forum name ?

Security reasons. Also have reduced level of detail on profile.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We were stopped by a 'Border Control' boat as we came down the Lincolnshire/Norfolk coast, we had to show the 'ships papers' (which included the location declaration) and declare that all on board were UK residents / citizens (forgetting that the Daughter in law is a Fillipino and not a UK citizen) Fortunately they did not ask to view passports.

Can't say I carry passport for a UK coastal trip but  we have driving license ID which should e sufficient.

Could easily prove where we have travelled from if stopped off the UK coast and have UK VAT paid documents.

The brexit date is relevant only if  wanting to import a boat due to the time now elapsed since Brexit.

Your earlier post indicated that VAT would have to be paid without a certificate which is not correct.

• Greenie 1

With the added complication of the license fee calculation for home mooring or no home mooring  C&RT have potentially  taken on a  significant administrative burden. 

Whether C&RT are willing to provide personnel to properly police the new scheme remains to be seen.

At present C&RT accept insurance is in place on an honesty basis. C&RT also accept off water declarations on an honesty basis . I expect the same will apply to home mooring declarations. All subject to random checks . 

So it would be wise to keep receipts for mooring fees in case of need. 

11 minutes ago, Momac said:

So it would be wise to keep receipts for mooring fees in case of need. 

I if recall correctly the mooring contract must be for a minimum of 6 months.

I have a hazy memory that someone posted that the mooring contract must be dated 3 months prior to the licence renewal ?

I have a couple of spare mooring spaces (that I don't want to fill), I wonder if there is a market for 'convenience' Home moorings I'd happily take less than the CC surcharge to have a boat register as using one of my moorings.... could be a nice little earner for a marina thats got spare capacity...

• Greenie 1