Trevor to Llangollen

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Hi All

We're on the Llangollen at the mo and this time I wanted to make it to the Llangollen basin. Nicholson advises boats to be drawing less than 21".... ours is 24" so i just wanted to confirm if this would be ok??  thanks!!!!

ps a chap walked past us yesterday who built water lily!  small world!!

Just now, robtheplod said:

Hi All

We're on the Llangollen at the mo and this time I wanted to make it to the Llangollen basin. Nicholson advises boats to be drawing less than 21".... ours is 24" so i just wanted to confirm if this would be ok??  thanks!!!!

We draw 2ft 6in and were ok doing it. But thar was 2011 ish and the same sign was still there. 

You shopping in Aldi in Llangollen 

16 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All

C&RTs 'target' is for the Llangollen to be dredged to 1 metre (39") but they have consistently failed that and seem to have settled on ~24"

It was certainly posted as that back in the late 90's when we had a mooring at Whixhall.

Anything deeper would seem to be due to deeper boat 'ploughing' up the middle.

Our boat is fairly deep, somewhere around 30” or a shade more and we did Llangollen three times in the last three years.  Several of the other owners have made it too.  It’s a bit shallow near bridge 34W, we were scraping the bottom for maybe 50 yards or so, but shouldn’t be a problem for you.

Now five days allowed in the basin. We spent a few weeks bimbling twixt Trevor and Llangollen this summer( Ali working off the boat!)

Rather nice mooring on rings just past the lift Bridge going upstream. Cracking view of Castell Dinas Bran.

We are about 27" and had no problems atoll.

2 hours ago, johnmck said:

Now five days allowed in the basin. We spent a few weeks bimbling twixt Trevor and Llangollen this summer( Ali working off the boat!)

Rather nice mooring on rings just past the lift Bridge going upstream. Cracking view of Castell Dinas Bran.

We are about 27" and had no problems atoll.

That is where I always moor, I refuse to pay to moor in the town and its just gone up

The tinternet was brilliant for us above Trevor, hence why we spent so much time up there, as it allowed Ali to work easily. Became rather familiar with the trip boat schedule and the winding hole at Bryn Howell.

And.... it was very quiet. 

Try Gales wine bar for food. Simple menu, we'll done. They also serve a rather nice IPA. 

30 minutes ago, johnmck said:

The tinternet was brilliant for us above Trevor, hence why we spent so much time up there, as it allowed Ali to work easily. Became rather familiar with the trip boat schedule and the winding hole at Bryn Howell.

And.... it was very quiet. 

Try Gales wine bar for food. Simple menu, we'll done. They also serve a rather nice IPA. 

As you are familiar with the trip boat schedule you can follow it to and from Llangollen. He takes no prisoners, so by following him closely you can guarantee that you won't meet any boats coming the other way in the narrows. :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

As you are familiar with the trip boat schedule you can follow it to and from Llangollen. He takes no prisoners, so by following him closely you can guarantee that you won't meet any boats coming the other way in the narrows. :)

I thought that until it gave way to me, different skipper, a young lady. It was quite a shock

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought that until it gave way to me, different skipper, a young lady. It was quite a shock

Was that last year?

Lovely lass, totally different to the gentleman off the ice cream boat who occasionally covered, who was an arrogant bar sreward,  in my humble opinion.

Pleasant young chap this summer.

11 hours ago, cuthound said:

Not true/myth. We met the trip boat head on. First thing he said was "I'm 70' long, why didn't you send someone ahead?". So I said "I'm 68' long, why didn't YOU send someone ahead"? Then he went "errrr...." and quickly realised we would actually need to sort something out. So we very amicably did that, there was an old passing place but that had the posts removed, and it was all no bother and very pleasant. 

Its just easier (but slower) to send someone out because it removes the worry of meeting another boat.

Next time we sent someone forwards, but I got overtaken by another boater who couldn't be bothered to do this, so just followed him instead.

DSC_6754.JPG

22 hours ago, Rob-M said:

We found it slow going up but coming back down with the flow was absolutely fine.

We had the opposite between Whitchurch and Ellesmere where we gave up.

going uphill we bounced and dragged. Going downhill we stuck . Permanently.

16 hrs for the trip.

One bridge which we hadn’t even stopped in on way up 2.5 hrs until dragged out at 2100 hrs by a hire boat on way down.

We are deep under power but even going through clutch out we just stopped below the bridges, and what you stop on ain’t soft.

9 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

We are deep under power but even going through clutch out we just stopped below the bridges, and what you stop on ain’t soft.

Yup. I reckon the flow plus the passage of boats scours out the actual bridge narrows, but the material then gets dumped where the channel widens a few feet downstream.

It's years since I've done the Llangollen, but on our last trip with Fulbourne we grounded hard under the bridge by the Poachers Pocket, with the stern just downstream of the bridge. Fortunately it was lunchtime and there were lots of blokes drinking in the pub garden who all came over and heaved on the bow rope to pull us through. Strangely we had no problem on the way back downstream.

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Thanks to all your help we are now in Llangollen basin!  it was a bit of a slog crawling there but very much worth it. Just for info internet is good in the basin (Vodafone) - 26mb down, 14mb up. looking to explore today...

Have fun