Greyhound Inn Sutton Stop

Ray T

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, IanD said:

You did, but that wasn't my point. The Crooked House got trashed because it was a dead money pit and nobody seemed to care until it got burned/demolished. The Greyhound is a successful and busy pub which is presumably making money for whoever owns and runs it. And it's a lot harder to get a big digger to and demolish it... šŸ˜‰

I bet the return on capital is nowhere near 6 posh houses or a couple of blocks of apartmentsĀ 

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I bet the return on capital is nowhere near 6 posh houses or a couple of blocks of apartmentsĀ 

...which have zero chance of planning permission in the location.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Not if its listed.

It's not in the Black Country.

And they've already said no to rebuilding the Crooked House.

Pay attention. Yes you can knock down a listed building if you can prove that you have tried your best and can not do anymore. Government developers like HS2 do not have to do that before they can knock it down

36 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

What is straight across the canal from it.

Ā 

An old pump house, a rather nice bridge and ah yes.....

Ā 

Ā 

Screenshot_20230817-194755_Photos.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

We have fond memories of the Greyhound after our previous little dog fell off the walkway on the gate at Sutton stop lock. The staff were really attentive making sure he got warm by the fire and his lifejacket was properly dry.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by M_JG

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

What is straight across the canal from it.

Ā 

I suspect Ian was referring to the Crooked House but in the case of the Greyhound in amongst all the new build is Sephton's old cottage.

Ā 

In any case the side of the canal that the Greyhound sits on is in Coventry, the other side is in the Borough of Nuneaton and Bedworth.

Ā 

Edited by Captain Pegg

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

Not if its listed.

It's not in the Black Country.

And they've already said no to rebuilding the Crooked House.

Are you saying they (BCLM) only nick buildings from the Black Country ?

I didnā€™t think they discriminated and took what they could.Ā 

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

Ā 

I suspect Ian was referring to the Crooked House but in the case of the Greyhound in amongst all the new build is Sephton's old cottage.

Ā 

In any case the side of the canal that the Greyhound sits on is in Coventry, the other side is in the Borough of Nuneaton and Bedworth.

Ā 

Exhall?

I know it as Exhall.Ā 

Edited by Goliath

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

Pay attention. Yes you can knock down a listed building if you can prove that you have tried your best and can not do anymore. Government developers like HS2 do not have to do that before they can knock it down

But projects like HS2 still have to get permission to demolish a listed building. In HS2's case that permission is part of the Act of Parliament authorising the scheme, and as part of obtaining the Act, the promoter has to demonstrate why demolition of a listed building is necessary. And in developing the proposals a lot of effort goes into minimising such impacts, although the end proposal is always going to be a compromise between a wide range of factors.

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Are you saying they (BCLM) only nick buildings from the Black Country ?

I didnā€™t think they discriminated and took what they could.Ā 

Exhall?

I know it as Exhall.Ā 

Ā 

Yes, it's Exhall, which is part of the Borough of Nuneaton and Bedworth. Although the building of new houses has led to the invention of Hawkesbury Village. It's a long way from Exhall parish church. All relevant from a planning perspective (not of course that anyone is going to redevelop the Greyhound). It might seem quite trivial but in the days of the West Midlands metropolitan county there were some noticeable impacts of living on one side of that boundary or the other. The accent changes too.

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

I'm so old that I can remember when Directors was a decent beer.

Ā 

(But then I'm old enough to remember when there were coal mines in Yorkshire)

Ā 

šŸ˜ƒ

Indeed it was a decent pint. I think we both know plenty about Yorkshire minesĀ :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

Ā 

Ā 

šŸ˜ƒ

Ā 

I'm old enough to have spent a couple of weeks dahn t'pit (Sharlston, near Wakefield) as post-A-level work experience. Riding on conveyers and then crawling the last half a mile to the 3' high face -- and having to p*ss and sh*t in a dark corner when necessary -- convinced me that miners deserve a lot of respect, but also that I never *ever* wanted to do anything like this for a living... šŸ˜ž

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

You need courage to drink CourageĀ ;)

Ā 

I used to enjoy a pint or two of draught Directors back in the 80's. Sadly it seems only to available in bottles these days and is nothing like the draught.

6 hours ago, cuthound said:

Ā 

I used to enjoy a pint or two of draught Directors back in the 80's. Sadly it seems only to available in bottles these days and is nothing like the draught.

Ā 

I worked for Courage when Directors Bitter was still being brewed on the home ground. These days it is brewed by Marstons at the Bedford Brewery previously operated by Charles Wells. Thanks to the wizardry of modern science, clever chemistry, and the right ingredients, a pint of Directors, as served today, tastes exactly the same as it did in the old days. Using a small proportion of my Courage pension, I was able to enjoy an excellent pint of Directors at the Peacock Inn at Tysoe in Warwickshire on Wednesday evening.

A little story about my early years at Courage: We had a management dining room on the first floor of Seven Bridges House (near the River Kennet in Reading's Bridge Street) - the directors had their dining room on the floor above. Although the directors always enjoyed wine with their lunch, those of us in the dining room below only had draught beer. However, a tradition had been established where if one of us happened to be celebrating a birthday during the preceding week, the directors would send down a case (or more) of wine to be consumed with our lunch on Friday. By the time I joined the "manager's mess" there were only about a dozen of us but somehow, we managed to have a birthday every week!

• Greenie 2

12 hours ago, NB Alnwick said:

Ā 

I worked for Courage when Directors Bitter was still being brewed on the home ground. These days it is brewed by Marstons at the Bedford Brewery previously operated by Charles Wells. Thanks to the wizardry of modern science, clever chemistry, and the right ingredients, a pint of Directors, as served today, tastes exactly the same as it did in the old days. Using a small proportion of my Courage pension, I was able to enjoy an excellent pint of Directors at the Peacock Inn at Tysoe in Warwickshire on Wednesday evening.

A little story about my early years at Courage: We had a management dining room on the first floor of Seven Bridges House (near the River Kennet in Reading's Bridge Street) - the directors had their dining room on the floor above. Although the directors always enjoyed wine with their lunch, those of us in the dining room below only had draught beer. However, a tradition had been established where if one of us happened to be celebrating a birthday during the preceding week, the directors would send down a case (or more) of wine to be consumed with our lunch on Friday. By the time I joined the "manager's mess" there were only about a dozen of us but somehow, we managed to have a birthday every week!

Ā 

Thanks, I didn't realise it was still being brewed. I'll re-double my efforts to find a localised pub which serves draught Directors.Ā 

Edited by cuthound
To remove a full stop masquerading as a space.

On 18/08/2023 at 08:16, Victor Vectis said:

Ā 

Ā 

šŸ˜ƒ

I had a pint Courage Directors Superior Ale the other night,

on draft,

4.8%,

I had second one too,

because I liked the first one,

• Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Greyhound was a public house that can be considered as exceptional and the fate of this venue as a place for drinks and food remains something that should be retained. However in these current times nothing is safe or sacred and so it is only possible to see how things do end.

Ā 

As to the comments regarding Directors bitter, that was also good in its day. However when brewing is moved to a new location, despite the wonders of chemistry any beer cannot be the same as the brewing methods, water and dissolved minerals are different. Ansells, Davenports and Mitchell & Butlers should not be made under those names unless the original breweries are restored and that cannot be the case. Hence stop using the titles call the beer something else! Real Ale should be Real Ale not Fake Ale!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

32 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The Greyhound was a public house that can be considered as exceptional and the fate of this venue as a place for drinks and food remains something that should be retained. However in these current times nothing is safe or sacred and so it is only possible to see how things do end.

Ā 

As to the comments regarding Directors bitter, that was also good in its day. However when brewing is moved to a new location, despite the wonders of chemistry any beer cannot be the same as the brewing methods, water and dissolved minerals are different. Ansells, Davenports and Mitchell & Butlers should not be made under those names unless the original breweries are restored and that cannot be the case. Hence stop using the titles call the beer something else! Real Ale should be Real Ale not Fake Ale!

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23785388.carlsberg-marstons-close-witneys-wychwood-brewery/

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Ā 

Did Ansells ever make beer? and is the new fake stuff not actually better than the original? šŸ˜€

Ā 

My Birmingham drinking days are now a distant bad memory, but I thought M&B was also pretty bad, though Davenports could be ok....and was delivered to your door just like milk and bread.

59 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Ā 

The Greyhound has always done a good pint of Bass.
Now BassĀ has had its recipe changed and then restored over the years, and of course changed breweries.Ā 
Itā€™s always been a good pint (for me) with 40 years of guzzling it and I had to have another quota of it yesterday in the Greyhound just to make sure.Ā 
Superb!

Ā 

Ā