The 2000W Challenge

SandyD

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But you have regularly argued that 'it' must start somewhere and even small savings from individuals 'add up'.

"A lot of bananas make a bunch"

Usual cost-benefit stuff -- having an indexed searchable source of canal-related information is *far* more useful than just a Facebook discussion group.

And since there are *loads* of canal-related ones of these and many are very storage /picture-heavy, it would be far better to close some of these down if you *really* wanted to reduce the internet burden of canals... 😉

Oh look, just like the consultation -- "somebody else should pay more!"... 😞

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Don't mention bit coin mining. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it.

They don't do any mining. This is part of the dumbing down. You will get kids thinking people go and dig the stuff out of the ground. 

Its shocking. 

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I remember that when you tell us that because 10,000 people a year die we have to remove 13,000,000 diesel and 19,000,000 petrol cars  (CARS not all vehicles) from the UK roads all at huge cost to their owners.

I'm not *telling* you anything; if you want to ignore global warming and particulate emissions and not feel any guilt, carry on driving your big diesel 4x4 -- you're one of a tiny minority of 500-mile-nonstop-3.5T-trailer-tower-for-£2000 drivers, so in the big picture you don't matter one bit... 😉

As far as the vast majority of drivers are concerned, they'll switch over to EVs sooner or later whether you like it or not, and it's the government's job -- like all others -- to encourage this to combat climate change and reduce deaths from PM2.5 emissions.

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

If we want to reduce climate change then we should attempt to double or more the deaths from particulates but without damaging the atmosphere.  Less Fewer people = less climate damage.

FTFY 😉

• Happy 1

Focusing on energy use and 2000W is the wrong place. It is where that 2000W is coming from, what resources are used in providing it, what it is used to do and what happens to any byproducts that is the thing. Some one with a life style that is using 4000W all in from solar power for everything, using reused and recycled matter to do it is being a lot greener than some one using 2000W from burning fossil fuels and using lots of single use plastic say. The proportion of sunlight we currently convert, via solar pv, thermal and wind power is a rounding error compared with what is illuminating the planet. Even running our entire planetary civilisation on it will still be tiny. The big challenge for a long term civilisation is getting circular use of matter, not energy.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Yea - I tend not to sit at the computer awaiting the latest contribution, especially overnight! (Only when waiting for visitors to arrive . . . )

It was an obvious joke though, which of course is why I made it... 😉

(riposte to deniers who say there's no difference -- "Do you want to be known as one of the few intelligent people on this forum or one of the less intelligent ones?")

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

The way I tell it to the kids is that if you can individually count things then you use the word "fewer". If it is something which is in one piece then you use the word "less".

There is less soup in my bowl than his. (Soup is a single item which is not divisible into parts with the same name)

There are fewer croutons in my soup than his. (Croutons are individual items with the same name which are added to the soup)

Less diesel in the tanks and fewer tanks on the boat than the other one.

• Greenie 1

recently I've been monitoring our energy usage as we're planning to move and self install a decent amount of solar when we do (so to know how much solar to go for we need to know our usage).

currently the only non-electric thing in the house is oil for heating

I used our winter usage as the worst case and came up with us using an average of 16.08 KWh daily (13.88 at day rate / 2.2 at night rate), with servers running here we can never get below 250w usage

Then I looked up the average annual output from various 5 kw solar installations (real world figures not manufacturers) then knocked 10% off just so that I knew I was underestimating and ended up with a figure of 12.42 KWh per day

our final figures showed that with a 5kw system we would drop our usage down to around 4KWh per day average with the solar system with breakeven on the solar system being reached in just over 2 years at the current electric prices (expected price rises only make the breakeven time shorter)

Below is a snapshot of our current usage (daily figures are from midnight / weekly figures are from midnight sun/mon)

the top (large) figure is our cost for usage right now if we keep the same usage for 1 hour (25p) and the next figure below it is the current power usage (660w)

you can clearly see on the graph the time we got up this morning and how many cups of tea we've had.

the overnight peaks are heating boiler (pumps etc), fridge, & freezer.

image.png.a661fbab830621ca737726aa0f5a8523.png

Edited by Jess--

51 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

recently I've been monitoring our energy usage as we're planning to move and self install a decent amount of solar when we do (so to know how much solar to go for we need to know our usage).

currently the only non-electric thing in the house is oil for heating

I used our winter usage as the worst case and came up with us using an average of 16.08 KWh daily (13.88 at day rate / 2.2 at night rate), with servers running here we can never get below 250w usage

Then I looked up the average annual output from various 5 kw solar installations (real world figures not manufacturers) then knocked 10% off just so that I knew I was underestimating and ended up with a figure of 12.42 KWh per day

our final figures showed that with a 5kw system we would drop our usage down to around 4KWh per day average with the solar system with breakeven on the solar system being reached in just over 2 years at the current electric prices (expected price rises only make the breakeven time shorter)

Below is a snapshot of our current usage (daily figures are from midnight / weekly figures are from midnight sun/mon)

the top (large) figure is our cost for usage right now if we keep the same usage for 1 hour (25p) and the next figure below it is the current power usage (660w)

you can clearly see on the graph the time we got up this morning and how many cups of tea we've had.

the overnight peaks are heating boiler (pumps etc), fridge, & freezer.

image.png.a661fbab830621ca737726aa0f5a8523.png

I don't know what the rules are for exporting from a self-installed PV system. No reason you couldn't install it to the required standard but without the necessary paperwork I suspect it becomes more difficult. So, you probably want to invest in storage. That will put your ROI back a little depending on what you get.

7 hours ago, IanD said:

It was an obvious joke though, which of course is why I made it... 😉

(riposte to deniers who say there's no difference -- "Do you want to be known as one of the few intelligent people on this forum or one of the less intelligent ones?")

I did  realise . . . but did you?