Drill attachment options...

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, Fraggle Moon said:

Hi there, quick question...

What style of drill attachment would you recommend for removal of light surface rust??

I say drill, as although I own angle grinders and am a competent DIY'er, I have never felt confident using them!!

Although I agree with all the angle grinder posts, I was answering the OPs actual question. 🙂

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Many years ago I left my Citroen BX at Teddesley's yard whilst I hired a boat from there. The Citroen used sheet moulding compound for the bonnet, rood and tailgate, to save weight.

A couple of days after returning from holiday I noticed rust spots appearing on the plastic bonnet of my car. It was tiny particles of metal from angle grinding, embedded in the paint!

Fortunately they rusted away to notiong and left no visible trace, but at the time it had me confused for a while! :)

Its much more serious when the hot sparks from the angle grinder embed thelselves into the windscreen 😀

16 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Ten times, eh? Can we know where your figures come from?

I've not had a gas welding fire for over 15 years, though that might be because I have done very little gas welding since moving onto the boat. I have had two small angle grinding fires so 2/0 suggests that angle grinding is infinitally more dangerous. 😀

But seriously, its often convenient to use a little pile of rags/towels/old overalls to protect surrounding paintwork from the angle grinding sparks and its very easy to set light to these.

To the op, we have gone off topic and are talking serious metal cutting/grinding here, a bit of light derusting with a cup brush is a whole lot safer.

21 hours ago, Fraggle Moon said:

Appreciate you both 👍

Will give both a try... I'll pull on my big-boy pants and crack out the angle grinder!!

And something no-one has suggested so far, if you're using it over or near water, attach it to a lanyard over your neck. Otherwise in the fullness of time, you WILL drop it in.

1 minute ago, MtB said:

And something no-one has suggested so far, if you're using it over or near water, attach it to a lanyard over your neck. Otherwise in the fullness of time, you WILL drop it in.

Doesn't that get a bit painful if the thing remains powered on when you drop it.

26 minutes ago, MtB said:

Not sure about the safety of that.

Dropped my Makita drill in recently, got it out, did a quick strip down and rinse in clean water, then dried on the stove. Almost as good as new. The level indicator on the battery no longer works, and during the very rapid stripdown a little spring shot out 😀 so now the speed selector is not quite what it should be.

On 13/02/2023 at 21:00, BEngo said:

Do not use any angle grinder bigger than about 125 mm, unless you are confident you can handle the start up kick, the gyroscopic effects when you lift or twist it and have a proper set of safety gear.  Gloves, visor, ear defenders, boots, stout clothing.

Even the professionals have been known to get bitten by a 9 inch angle grinder and grinding disc.

N

Yes I only use mini-angle grinders.

On 13/02/2023 at 22:31, David Mack said:

If you are removing paint and rust down to bare metal a flap disc in an angle grinder is more effective. It cuts into the steel and leaves a texture which helps with paint adhesion, whereas a wire brush can sometimes polish the rust without removing it.

https://www.toolstation.com/flap-disc/p51383

But a flap disc can remove good steel too. When you consider how important every tenth of a mm of steel is when a surveyor takes hull thickness measurements, you need to be very careful using abrasive discs on power tools below the waterline.

You are right that in inexperienced hands a wire wheel or cup can polish rust scale which then looks like bright steel, but a few taps with a welders hammer will soon break it off.

22 hours ago, john.k said:

believe it or not,angle grinder sparks are ten times worse for starting fires than oxy cutting sparks.

With a cutting or grinding disc perhaps, but we are talking about using wire wheels or cups here. You don't get a lot of sparks.

14 hours ago, MtB said:

I remember when I was working in a boat yard with a young Aussie guy standing on ladders opposite each other taking the paint off the steel  support frame of a canopy which we'd removed from a c.1900 Thames steam passenger boat. I must have caught the wire wheel on a corner of the frame and perhaps I was being a bit casual and not paying enough attention, because suddenly the angle grinder was ripped out of my hands and went flying past the Aussie's face! He was not impressed and fortunately somehow it didn't wreck the teak deck of the boat even though it was still spinning. Even though it was bloody dangerous I couldn't stop laughing!

However, I'm not sure I'd want a rotating wire wheel on an angle grinder dangling from my neck if I dropped it?

Edited by blackrose

46 minutes ago, blackrose said:

However, I'm not sure I'd want a rotating wire wheel on an angle grinder dangling from my neck if I dropped it?

Me neither. The thing would go down under and damage your ayrs rocks. You'd be waltzin like matilda shouting Uluru. 

Having tripped (on land) and dropped a running  grinder plus wire wheel into my left hand, needing ten stitches at the base of the ring and little finger as a result, (it buggered the gloves up too),  I certainly would not be having one dangling on a string near my bits thank you.

If a grinder falls in the water on the end of its wire I can always get it it back after the power goes off.

N

8 hours ago, john.k said:

Also a new made up fact ...angle grinder injuries are 75% of DIY injury presentation at A&E ..........death here recently from the old handymans kamikaze .....a 14 " cutting disc in a 9" grinder....no guard of course.

A real true fact, and it must be true because I read it on the internet:

1/3 of angle grinder accidents requiring hospital treatment are due to the gloves getting caught in the grinder.

I like the little ZZZZZ noise you get when you grind one of your knuckles down to the bone ........the wound often takes ages to bleed ,too.............i never use gloves with grinders or drills.......you cant get a proper grip of the tool.

6 hours ago, BEngo said:

Having tripped (on land) and dropped a running  grinder plus wire wheel into my left hand, needing ten stitches at the base of the ring and little finger as a result, (it buggered the gloves up too),  I certainly would not be having one dangling on a string near my bits thank you.

If a grinder falls in the water on the end of its wire I can always get it it back after the power goes off.

N

Also there are times when you might want to throw the angle grinder into the water!

I was using one with a flap wheel when a clump of flaps flew off and the wheel was then so out of balance that the angle grinder started vibrating so violently that I could barely hold onto it.  As I tried to switch it off, the only other way of stopping it seemed to be to throw it into the water and hope that the RCD worked.  A fraction of a second before I did this, I managed to switch it off.

Two lessons: First, flapwheels aren't necessarily as safe as one might think and second, only use an angle grinder with a very easy-to-operate On/Off switch.  I once owned a Hitachi angle grinder which required two hands to operate the miniscule switch.  Never again.

27 minutes ago, Batavia said:

Also there are times when you might want to throw the angle grinder into the water!

I was using one with a flap wheel when a clump of flaps flew off and the wheel was then so out of balance that the angle grinder started vibrating so violently that I could barely hold onto it.  As I tried to switch it off, the only other way of stopping it seemed to be to throw it into the water and hope that the RCD worked.  A fraction of a second before I did this, I managed to switch it off.

Two lessons: First, flapwheels aren't necessarily as safe as one might think and second, only use an angle grinder with a very easy-to-operate On/Off switch.  I once owned a Hitachi angle grinder which required two hands to operate the miniscule switch.  Never again.

Or use a angle grinder with a paddle switch. A lot safer.