Lithium

haggis

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

Country File is covering mining lithium in the UK as I type 

Watching it.

And the bats too.

Now they are just up the road to us at Boulby

Mrs M_JG's grandad 'Pop' was a Cornish tin miner and when they started to run down he made his way to the ironstone mines here in East Cleveland.

Reputedly on foot.

Do all you battery swappers know the side effects of lithium? Terribly bad for your health, mental conditions.

All with these batteries should read this. 

https://www.mims.com/philippines/drug/info/lithium?mtype=generic

Sorry its a Philippines one, this  computer has just come back with a friend from the far east and its still jetlagged.

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Do all you battery swappers know the side effects of lithium? Terribly bad for your health, mental conditions

I remember a mate of mine when we were teens being given Lithium for his mental condition 🤔

18 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

Same here.

Does it mean the old saying will come back that if there's a hole somewhere in the world you'll find a Cornishman down it.

I must admit the same crossed my mind when I heard about the lithium mining projects.  Virtual greenie to you.

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Its funny how the electric car companies don't feature impoverished children mining in terrible conditions so they can have their batteries in their car ads.... its almost like its overlooked - somehow inconvenient to the green message?

There is an alternative https://www.ilika.com/large-format-solid-state-batteries

11 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

I remember a mate of mine when we were teens being given Lithium for his mental condition 🤔

Yes as a carbonate. Not the pure element though, it will fizz on oral administration and cause great gaseous emissions or spontaneous combustion if administered a way popular in France 🤣

Lithium can pretty well guarantee youaà a bad trip- one variety is a key fuel for a thermonuclear explosion.  Welly Lithium 6 with some fast neutrons and you get Tritium (extra heavy hydrogen) which fuses into Helium and things, leaving behind a lot of energy. 

Briefly.

N

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The NiFe batteries were great but very heavy, they were almost indestructible, used in subs.

The main issue with NiFe batteries is the large difference between fully charged and fully discharged voltages, which some equipment ant tolerate.

39 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The main issue with NiFe batteries is the large difference between fully charged and fully discharged voltages, which some equipment ant tolerate.

And a funny voltage per cell IIRC, making 12v a bit difficult.

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

And a funny voltage per cell IIRC, making 12v a bit difficult.

I specified them for the generator start battery of a super critical installation.

Fully charged open circuit voltage is 1.4 volts per cell IIRC. So 9 cells gives 12.6 volts, similar to 6 lead acid cells immediately after a charge.

Fully discharged voltage is 1.15 volts per cell, so 10.35 volts for a 9 cell battery.

Final charge voltage is 1.75 volts per cell IIRC.

14 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Fully discharged voltage is 1.15 volts per cell, so 10.35 volts for a 9 cell battery.

Final charge voltage is 1.75 volts per cell IIRC.

Yes that's actually what I was thinking of. The massive change in voltage presented to connected appliances between batteries discharged and final charge voltage. Too big for comfort! 

• Greenie 1