Shroppie Fly

AndrewIC

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, Annie cariad said:

Still cannot understand why people get on a high horse about this pub it's not a real iconic boating boozer but an old warehouse morphed into a boating pub . Rock all is authentic if it suits who cares . Never had a decent pint in its life 

Oddly we've stopped by several times and have had some very good pints of various beers. Maybe we've just been lucky.

23 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Oddly we've stopped by several times and have had some very good pints of various beers. Maybe we've just been lucky.

Yep. But I'd say that applies to most pubs nowadays, given they are mostly staffed by children these days.

32 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yep. But I'd say that applies to most pubs nowadays, given they are mostly staffed by children these days.

Is your definition of children "people who are considerably younger than me" ? 😉

(like policepersons nowadays...)

Edited by IanD

3 hours ago, IanD said:

Is your definition of children "people who are considerably younger than me" ? 😉

(like policepersons nowadays...)

There was a time some years ago that I realised that of the people I saw around me on a daily basis - colleagues, shop staff, fellow train commuters, people I passed in the street etc - more of them were younger than me than older. A sudden dawning that I was not only middle-aged, but that I had crossed the mid point of middle age!

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

There was a time some years ago that I realised that of the people I saw around me on a daily basis - colleagues, shop staff, fellow train commuters, people I passed in the street etc - more of them were younger than me than older. A sudden dawning that I was not only middle-aged, but that I had crossed the mid point of middle age!

Yes it's a strange feeling being the same age as old people... :(

Edited by cuthound
to remove a spurious return
  • Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yes it's a strange feeling being the same age as old people... :(

I realised my advancement in years the other day when I fell on my arse in the ice and nearly broke my arm. I realised though, that as I didn't actually break my arm I am not yet old.

69 is not my age BTW, it's my IQ

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

My grandmother told the story of getting onto a crowded bus to hear a woman tell her daughter to "stand up so that old lady can sit down". Granny turned and looked behind her to see who this referred to. Oh.....

I have a text this morning from someone wanting advice about their boiler. They considered it necessary to explain they are elderly, in their 60s...

On 18/12/2022 at 11:12, rusty69 said:

I realised my advancement in years the other day when I fell on my arse in the ice and nearly broke my arm. I realised though, that as I didn't actually break my arm I am not yet old.

69 is not my age BTW, it's my IQ

I think I might have to re-evaluate that last statement, as I just came off the side of the boat, and went for a rather bracing swim.

• Horror 1

49 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I think I might have to re-evaluate that last statement, as I just came off the side of the boat, and went for a rather bracing swim.

"There are boaters who have fallen in the canal, and there are boaters who are going to"

Crikey man! how did that happen?

Falling into cold water can trigger cardiac arrest!

It has tragically just happened to those young boys in the Midlands, and an older gimmer is at greater risk.

As a solo boater, I would move slowly and carefully on the gunwales, lock ladders and on muddy locksides.

Be careful!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

"There are boaters who have fallen in the canal, and there are boaters who are going to"

It has tragically just happened to those young boys in the Midlands, and an older gimmer is at greater risk.

As a solo boater, I would move slowly and carefully on the gunwales, lock ladders and on muddy locksides.

Be careful!

Old Gimmer, ha ha ha ha 😄 

6 hours ago, rusty69 said:

OMG, did you drown? 

P.S. Good thing the thaw arrived yesterday, or you might have broken your arm having fallen 'on', rather than 'in'.

Seriously though, must of bin one helluva shock.

19 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Be careful!

Hey, I don't mind being called old, but I draw the line at being called a sheep:

gim·mer. ˈgimər. plural -s. chiefly Scottish : a yearling female sheep : a two-tooth ewe. 

13 hours ago, MtB said:

Seriously though, must of bin one helluva shock.

Not as much a shock as it was for the fish.

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

If my experience of taking the plunge from the gunwale into freezing water is anything to go by, you'll hopefully not be bothering the fish again for a while! 

OMG. You don't mean i'm gonna loose a leg, an eye and come out in spots <gasp>

photo-20509.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Hey, I don't mind being called old, but I draw the line at being called a sheep:

gim·mer. ˈgimər. plural -s. chiefly Scottish : a yearling female sheep : a two-tooth ewe. 

Not as much a shock as it was for the fish.

I tried looking up "Gimmer" but couldn't find it in my dictionary. 

First heard it some years ago when teaching, I used to take a school band around a couple of old folks homes at Christmas time.One young wag in the band once said "are we playing for t' Gimmers this year sir?"

Maybe Gimmer is peculiar to this part of Yorkshire. (Cleckheaton)

12 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

First heard it some years ago when teaching, I used to take a school band around a couple of old folks homes at Christmas time.One young wag in the band once said "are we playing for t' Gimmers this year sir?"

Probably wider spread than that, more like Cleckhuddersfax... 😉

13 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Certainly up here in Cumbria I have only ever heard Gimmer a[[lied to sheep.   I think I have even heard a TV chef talking about meat from a Gimmer.

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

Probably wider spread than that, more like Cleckhuddersfax... 😉

Ah, but what about Cleckheckmonsedge? 🙂 have lived  in a number of places in Yorkshire all my life,  and I am very familiar with the word Gimmer, both referring to older sheep, but also when used as a joking term about "more mature" ladies. It was certainly a term my mother used frequently when joking with her friends.

Howard

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

OMG. You don't mean i'm gonna loose a leg, an eye and come out in spots <gasp>

photo-20509.jpg

No - only the chilblains came from the winter boating incident. The rest I'm not at liberty to discuss. Particularly not the spots. Or the leg. Or the eye. Definitely not the incident involving in the shaded area...

• Haha 1