Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Mum made a lemon sponge layered with lemon cream and covered with lemon cream, it was about 2foot tall, ohhhhhh lush,

My Mum was what used to be called a "good plain cook", but she too excelled at baking: sponge cakes, treacle tart, scones (always pronounced "sconns" in our house). In particular, her lemon meringue pie was just out of this world. I have never tasted the like since, in fact these days I've stopped eating lemon pies (as she used to call them) because I know I'll be disappointed. Jeez, it's been over twenty years and I can taste it in my mind's (mouth's?) eye now.

22 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Pour the batter round a large joint of beef so that the beef juices run into the Yorkshire - then eat a large wedge of pudding with crispy beefy edges and thickish gravy before the main course. Delicious. I was raised on that - perhaps thats why I'm crispy round the edges and a bit thick. That's how my mother cooked it, and try as I might, I just haven't been able to replicate it.

You are probably using oil? Its what people who dont understand Yorkie puds often use. We get proper dripping from the local butcher, if not then lard will do at a push. Put enough in whatever you are making the pudding in to cover the bottom and about 16th of an inch deep. Hot oven and wait until the dripping or lard is just about to be smoking hot. Pour batter in till it easily reaches edges of container, whack it in the oven, usualy 20 ish minutes but very dependent on your appliance. Oven temp needs to be over a minimum of 200 degrees, gas 7 or 8 but every oven is different.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I'd forgotten about that: many years ago, my best friend's Mum used to serve a slab of Yorkshire pudding, with onion gravy, as a starter. That was in Sheffield, but she was originally from Lancashire, so perhaps it's something which they do  (or used to do) there.

Left over Yorkshire pudding with Jam is lovely

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Left over Yorkshire pudding with Jam is lovely

There are pubs that on sunday lunch have yorky puds with gravy as a starter, some do it with syrup as a pud, both yummy. The reason Yorky puds were given as a starter historicaly is because there was no money around for meat and veg years ago so it was used to fill you up b4 your dinna. Much like today then.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Long ago I had it with golden syrup - probably oop north.

Lol, we were typing at the same time.

• Greenie 3

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

There are pubs that on sunday lunch have yorky puds with gravy as a starter, some do it with syrup as a pud, both yummy. The reason Yorky puds were given as a starter historicaly is because there was no money around for meat and veg years ago so it was used to fill you up b4 your dinna. Much like today then.

Lol, we were typing at the same time.

Come to think of it, Yorkshire pudding mixture  is exactly the same as pancake mixture. People put sweet things such as sugar or orange juice on pancakes, so it's reasonable to eat the puds as a sweet as well as a svoury dish.

22 hours ago, MartynG said:

I am sure that true .

But I would prefer to self cater with better food at home at less cost. 

I have witnessed more than one  below standard meal this  year with examples at  a large chain pub and also at a one off local both of which used to be great value l. I suspect there will be a return to sub standard catering in the UK . My philosophy will be to eat out less often but to be more selective.

PS I did have the best fish and chips at a pub in the summer and the price was excellent . If they are still in business I will return.

Some of the best fish and chips I've had in a long time -- including chippies in Whitby! -- was at the Wharf Inn pub at the end of the Welford Arm. Delicious haddock, fabulously crisp and light batter, chips as good as I've had anywhere. Still open according to the www, large (and it was!) FnC is still £14.50. And the beer was delicious, and the staff friendly. What more could you ask for? 🙂

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

Come to think of it, Yorkshire pudding mixture  is exactly the same as pancake mixture. People put sweet things such as sugar or orange juice on pancakes, so it's reasonable to eat the puds as a sweet as well as a svoury dish.

The problem with a bad Yorky pub is usualy when peeps use oil, terrible substitute for dripping. Of course, its impossible to make Yorky puds without eggs from Yorkshire :ninja:

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Some of the best fish and chips I've had in a long time -- including chippies in Whitby! -- was at the Wharf Inn pub at the end of the Welford Arm. Delicious haddock, fabulously crisp and light batter, chips as good as I've had anywhere. Still open according to the www, large (and it was!) FnC is still £14.50. And the beer was delicious, and the staff friendly. What more could you ask for? 🙂

One of the best pubs on the system.

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The problem with a bad Yorky pub is usualy when peeps use oil, terrible substitute for dripping.

Yes I find exactly this for Yorkies. Dripping is by far the best, Castrol GTX is the worst. Modern synthetic is just about ok. 

4 hours ago, MtB said:

Yes I find exactly this for Yorkies. Dripping is by far the best, Castrol GTX is the worst. Modern synthetic is just about ok. 

I use duck/goose fat as we have that as a stock item principally for roast potatoes.

6 hours ago, IanD said:

Fish and chips used to be a traditional working class treat, often on a Friday night. £14.50 would be a bit (lot to) much, though I know costs all round have increased massively and lots of chip shops are questioning their future. 

9 minutes ago, Ianws said:

Fish and chips used to be a traditional working class treat, often on a Friday night. £14.50 would be a bit (lot to) much, though I know costs all round have increased massively and lots of chip shops are questioning their future. 

They were saying on the radio today how F&C shops are booming. I think they said 300 new ones have opened in the last 12 months. 

I can't see £14.50 being much of a problem personally. They are competing with Indian takeaways at £30+ per person and Chinese at £20+ per person minimum. 

I suppose a MacDonalds or KFC would be cheaper but to call that food is stretching it a bit. 

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

They were saying on the radio today how F&C shops are booming. I think they said 300 new ones have opened in the last 12 months. 

I can't see £14.50 being much of a problem personally. They are competing with Indian takeaways at £30+ per person and Chinese at £20+ per person minimum. 

I suppose a MacDonalds or KFC would be cheaper but to call that food is stretching it a bit. 

Strewth. Glad I live up North.

Last nights Chinese was £8 pp and I can get decent Fish and chips for under a tenner pp. 

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Google "fish and chip shops closing" and you will see reports of massive potential closures. Energy costs up, oil up, ingredients  up. They can't always pass the full costs on to customers who can't afford it. £14.50 per person for a takeaway chippy would be a big  problem for lots of people who used to buy from them. 

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Blimey! Either those are very posh takeaways or people are eating a lot of food! I spent £21 for a Chinese takeaway the other day for me and my mum. 

Personally I wouldn't spend £14.50 on fish & chips unless it was a sit down meal. Not for a takeaway.

14 hours ago, IanD said:

First pub we went to when pubs re opened after covid restrictions lifted.

it was interesting!!   You shouted your order into the bar and it was delivered into the garden via a one way system. Mind you we were hand sanitising after every lock at that point. 
I was doing a bike race  ( national championship time trial up the road that was odd as well. Spoke to no one  numbers left in envelope on the grass very strange.

9 hours ago, Ianws said:

The £14.50 F&C are a pub meal, inside, probably comes with peas or mushy peas, lemon and tartare sauce, with a selection of excellent ales brought to the table on request whilst you are eating.

Not a takeaway