Elsans

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Hi all

I'm on CRT notification for several routes and recently I'm getting two of three notifications a day about Elsans being out of service, often repeatedly - seems to be much more common in recent months. Is someone doing the rounds abusing the equipment or is this just general maintenance?... it almost makes me glad not to use them since they are often not working... is this why people have multiple cassettes - just in case?

As an aside, what an awful job sorting these out!

Edited by robtheplod

3 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Hi all

I'm on CRT notification for several routes and recently I'm getting two of three notifications a day about Elsans being out of service, often repeatedly - seems to be much more common in recent months. Is someone doing the rounds abusing the equipment or is this just general maintenance?... it almost makes me glad not to use them since they are often not working... is this why people have multiple cassettes - just in case?

As an aside, what an awful job sorting these out!

Probably people doing self pump outs incorrect . Elsan not on main sewer or not flushing down with enough water afterwards.  

4 minutes ago, Lady C said:

Also definitely wet wipes, occasionally unexpected detritus like cassette pipe covers or even small toys.  Perhaps some of the drain pipes are a bit small for today's volume of disposals.

Or as an old plumber once said. 4inch waste pipe ,5 inch arsehole.🤣

39 minutes ago, Lady C said:

Also definitely wet wipes, occasionally unexpected detritus like cassette pipe covers or even small toys.  Perhaps some of the drain pipes are a bit small for today's volume of disposals.

one report did mention they are evaluating the size of the pipework after repeated problems....

Many elsans are on cess pits, not main sewers.  CRT seem incapable of monitoring the fill level of the pit, and getting it emptied when it is pretty full, but before it is toppers,  so when it is overflowing the Elsan is OOO until they get the honey wagon in.

Not surprisingly, there tends to be a rash of fullness toward the end of the summer busy spell.

N

We certainly have spare cassettes and so able to plan in case of closures. The recent survey CRT send round about Facilities had me commenting repeatedly that it wasn't about the numbers of services increasing so much as the absolute important of keeping them maintained/regularly serviced, accessible and efficient (i.e. flow rate in water tapes etc.). And they should site them near or with 'partners' (boatyards, marinas, etc.) and pay them properly to do the maintenance and servicing.

Can someone relieve me from my paranoia of dropping the screw cap from the Elsan cassette into the pan. I fear it usually would sit there not going round the u bend but then I muse would it be better to leave it there or  face the prospect of fishing it out. Then I ponder is it better to see it disappear that’s that and not need to face the first issue. But then worry it will block the drain.  

Has anyone dropped theirs into the pan and what happened next? 

I was so relieved to find a spare cassette cap in the Summer lying round by an Elsan, perhaps it’s one that was dropped in earlier. At least if I do drop one in I can use the spare on my cassette 🤣

3 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Yes.

The bloody thing disappeared into the mucky depths and I wasn't going to delve into the  the mire if I couldn't see it, the elsan flushed as normal with no apparent blockages 

16 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Can someone relieve me from my paranoia of dropping the screw cap from the Elsan cassette into the pan. I fear it usually would sit there not going round the u bend but then I muse would it be better to leave it there or  face the prospect of fishing it out. Then I ponder is it better to see it disappear that’s that and not need to face the first issue. But then worry it will block the drain.  

I was so relieved to find a spare cassette cap in the Summer lying round by an Elsan, perhaps it’s one that was dropped in earlier. At least if I do drop one in I can use the spare on my cassette 🤣

Is there a U bend? These are called trapped drains, water sits in them to prevent odours 

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, Cheshire cat said:

People unknown have lost their sliding cover for the dump through opening down the Elsan on more than one occasion.at Aston Marina. Retrieval involved digging up the carpark.

I was surprised to note earlier to day when reading a report about the causes for blocked elsan units which included the pipe cap. Not as uncommon as might be supposed, given that the unit is not a lot of use without it. (Although I suppose you could just be careful . . .)

31 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

People unknown have lost their sliding cover for the dump through opening down the Elsan on more than one occasion.at Aston Marina. Retrieval involved digging up the carpark.

Been easier to buy a new one 🤣

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Yes.

The bloody thing disappeared into the mucky depths and I wasn't going to delve into the  the mire if I couldn't see it, the elsan flushed as normal with no apparent blockages 

Me too, about twenty five years ago. Now, the cap goes on the floor or in the sink while I do the deed, and gets taken off well away from the elsan.

• Greenie 1

I have suggested, to R. Parry himself, that all Elsan points should have a shelf or storage place suitable for caps, to reduce the incidence of blockages due them being lost. 

Our Thetford cassettes have doors over the dump hole which have become pretty loose with long wear. You have to be careful not to lose the door when tipping the cassette up.

MP.

6 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

maybe CRT need an inspector to evaluate the size of the arsehole - might be cheaper

These come in all shapes and sizes from small with short fat hairy legs to longstreaks of tinribs. They all have the ability to dump rubbish that will block an Elsan.

54 minutes ago, MtB said:

I too can confirm they go straight around the bend with no problem whatsoever. 

DAMHIK.

I think it depends on the particular elsan. At Crick (Christmas Day 2007) a dropped cap was visible several inches down the vertical pipe and would have caused a blockage if not retrieved (which was difficult but eventually possible). 

3 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

I have a similar paranoia with respect to the cassette cap.  I mitigate that by putting the cap down on the floor, sometimes outside the building ifthe floor is “less nice”.  There is also the sliding cover that goes over the opening in the cassette, I use my thumb it keep that in place as I tip the cassette, as there in nothing except friction that hold that in place with a C200 cassette.

21 hours ago, BEngo said:

Many elsans are on cess pits, not main sewers.  CRT seem incapable of monitoring the fill level of the pit, and getting it emptied when it is pretty full, but before it is toppers,  so when it is overflowing the Elsan is OOO until they get the honey wagon in.

Not surprisingly, there tends to be a rash of fullness toward the end of the summer busy spell.

N

How would you know that?  Collections are cyclical with designated contractors. I know as i asked. 

I'd agree that in one or 2 cases use has outstripped the collection frequency but i'd say that the more likely cause is inappropriate use, wet wipes and the wrong types of toilet paper.

Fradley Junction has a fairly complete system, with recycling. The water pressure is low, so take a book to read, if you're filling your water tank. The Elsan is outdoor. open to the skies. Next door is a cafe. But as only old codgers seem to visit the cafe, maybe they've lost their sense of smell. There is a CRT office backing the Elsan, and the hand wash dispenser in the toilet was empty. 

Edited by Higgs

24 minutes ago, Creaking Gate said:

How would you know that?  Collections are cyclical with designated contractors. I know as i asked. 

I'd agree that in one or 2 cases use has outstripped the collection frequency but i'd say that the more likely cause is inappropriate use, wet wipes and the wrong types of toilet paper.

I know the elsan/cess pit near my mooring has a level sensor which automatically informs CRT or the contractor when it needs emptying, I spoke to the chap whilst he was fitting it and he certainly implied they would be fitting them in more locations