Jump to content

Carbon Monoxide Alarm Bleeping


Midnight

Featured Posts

Asking for a friend (Really) Just added two new carbon monoxide alarms and both started bleeping. Nothing on except the battery charger and fridge (240v) nobody so the boat fire's out. Took the alarms outside and they stop take them back in and bleep, bleep.

 

Can't figure out what's the cause - any ideas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

Asking for a friend (Really) Just added two new carbon monoxide alarms and both started bleeping. Nothing on except the battery charger and fridge (240v) nobody so the boat fire's out. Took the alarms outside and they stop take them back in and bleep, bleep.

 

Can't figure out what's the cause - any ideas?

 

Take one closer to the batteries, and see if it goes mad. Best if at least one has a readout screen.

 

 

Edited by Higgs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine went off due to the barreries having an internal short.

 

Long story short - middle of the night beeping, eventually investigated and battery so hot couldn't tough it, it was shaped like a Rugby ball and I reckon another few minutes and it would have exploded scattering acid and plastic all over the engine room.

 

Keep an eye on the water levels in each battery.

Keep feeling the battery temperatures

 

And - you should get an early warning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Mine went off due to the barreries having an internal short.

 

Long story short - middle of the night beeping, eventually investigated and battery so hot couldn't tough it, it was shaped like a Rugby ball and I reckon another few minutes and it would have exploded scattering acid and plastic all over the engine room.

 

Keep an eye on the water levels in each battery.

Keep feeling the battery temperatures

 

And - you should get an early warning.

 

That's my thoughts but he won't be down until tomorrow to check.

 

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

CO alarms are sensitive to Hydrogen being evolved from batteries, either being charged hard, or overheating. Also check any boats moored nearby. Is there a generator going, or smokey stove flue blowing towards "your friends" boat?

Jen

 

He just added the alarms after a survey last Monday. Its at the Club no boats near are occupied.

 

 

58 minutes ago, MtB said:

 

Now lemme think. A carbon monoxide detector, making a beeping noise. 

 

Nope, sorry. No idea!

 

Never mind I'm sure it will come to you in the fullness of time. Let me know when it does.

 

 

57 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Indeed they do.  Hydrogen sulfide stinks like eggs and is TOXIC.  Check where it is coming from, do not sleep in the boat until you have sored this out.

 

There's no smell reported, but it's got to be something to do with the batteries.  Watch this space!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

That's my thoughts but he won't be down until tomorrow to check.

 

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

There's no smell reported, but it's got to be something to do with the batteries.  Watch this space!

 

 

I'd suggest that you disconnect any mains supply / switch off any battery charger.

 

If you can get on board, have a feel around each battery - is there any heat in any of them ?

Have a good look at the shape of the batteries - are the ends bowed/blown outwards ?

 

There was absolutely no smell with mine - until I actually went into the 'underfloor engine room space' and, as I opened the hatch, the fumes hit me in the back of my throat then my eyes began to sting. As I tried to disconnect the battery link-cables my throat started to 'seriously burn' and I was choking ............... STILL NO SMELL ! and the "alarm was going wild"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There was absolutely no smell with mine - until I actually went into the 'underfloor engine room space' and, as I opened the hatch, the fumes hit me in the back of my throat then my eyes began to sting. As I tried to disconnect the battery link-cables my throat started to 'seriously burn' and I was choking ............... STILL NO SMELL ! and the "alarm was going wild"

Hydrogen Sulphide disables your sense of smell in higher concentrations. No rotten eggs, but still doing damage. Nasty stuff.

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd suggest that you disconnect any mains supply / switch off any battery charger.

 

If you can get on board, have a feel around each battery - is there any heat in any of them ?

Have a good look at the shape of the batteries - are the ends bowed/blown outwards ?

 

There was absolutely no smell with mine - until I actually went into the 'underfloor engine room space' and, as I opened the hatch, the fumes hit me in the back of my throat then my eyes began to sting. As I tried to disconnect the battery link-cables my throat started to 'seriously burn' and I was choking ............... STILL NO SMELL ! and the "alarm was going wild"

 

I rang him last night after looking at all the answers above. He's going to check the batteries today and let me know. He did say he had trouble with his starter battery recently so my money is on your diagnosis being correct.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fitted a small (10W) trickle charge solar panel,and the advice I got suggested it didn't need a solar controller as it would only keep pace with the natural discharge rate of the battery.

This advice proved wrong,as one day visiting the boat the carbon monoxide alarm was going off.

The battery was grossly overcharged the multimeter gave a reading of 16.4 V,and had been gassing setting off the alarm.

Fitted a cheapie solar controller,and no further problems.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

 

I rang him last night after looking at all the answers above. He's going to check the batteries today and let me know. He did say he had trouble with his starter battery recently so my money is on your diagnosis being correct.

I would put my money on it being the batteries, or more likely one of the batteries as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believed that CO alarms are also sensitive to H2S. I note that my CO alarm always detects a bit of something when I equalise the batteries but I have never smelled any H2S so maybe it is the hydrogen that they detect?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Midnight said:

Asking for a friend (Really) Just added two new carbon monoxide alarms and both started bleeping. Nothing on except the battery charger and fridge (240v) nobody so the boat fire's out. Took the alarms outside and they stop take them back in and bleep, bleep.

 

Can't figure out what's the cause - any ideas?

Take the batteries out 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.