November Lockdown (Two threads merged)

matty40s

Featured Posts

Just now, Athy said:

....and for the rest of us to do sensible things like food shopping, buying winter fu-u-el, going to the council tip and so on.

Might be too late for shopping, been to Sainsbury's this afternoon and it was manic with shelves rapidly emptying.

1 minute ago, MoominPapa said:

Sod that for a game of soldiers. I sat in a boat, going nowhere, through the first lockdown in solidarity with all the boaters who were stuck in houses and couldn't boat. This time of year they wouldn't be boating anyway so I'm going to continue my progressive journey around the system, making essential journeys to the next set of facilities each time.

MP.

Personally, as a non-liveaboard boater I boat as much in the autumn winter months normally as any other time of the year. 

4 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Sod that for a game of soldiers. I sat in a boat, going nowhere, through the first lockdown in solidarity with all the boaters who were stuck in houses and couldn't boat. This time of year they wouldn't be boating anyway so I'm going to continue my progressive journey around the system, making essential journeys to the next set of facilities each time.

MP.

Well it was OK for Foxes Afloat to do that and blog about it so we look forward to your new media blogging. ?

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, churchward said:

Personally, as a non-liveaboard boater I boat as much in the autumn winter months normally as any other time of the year. 

Well I'm sorry to say that it looks like you're not going to be boating for the next 4 weeks months. Apologies for my lack of solidarity this time.

MP.

1 minute ago, MoominPapa said:

Well I'm sorry to say that it looks like you're not going to be boating for the next 4 weeks months. Apologies for my lack of solidarity this time.

MP.

I think so.  I do not expect to go out again until sometime in the new year.  We would normally be boating about now to be out and about around my birthday.

The government seem to be in a bit of a crisis, so poorly managed, if an announcement is going to be made at x o'clock then why not - seems like we are not going to get a message that the powers that be can agree on. Not an attack on a political party - I'd say the same whoever was in power.

Bring back Churchill say I. ?

Happy if this post is moderated following the threads move out of the political section.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, davem399 said:

If you see Domninic Cummings at a petrol station, you know lockdown is imminent!

In the last lockdown (Early march) I filled up in Wales before setting off for home, travelled 205 miles (1/2 a tank) and when restriction lifted 'months' later I still had 1/4 of a tank left.

Lockdown saves me £100's.

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In the last lockdown (Early march) I filled up in Wales before setting off for home, travelled 205 miles (1/2 a tank) and when restriction lifted 'months' later I still had 1/4 of a tank left.

Lockdown saves me £100's.

My wife bought a new car in January, we put petrol in it for the second time last week!

• Horror 1

So presumably they are watching the rugby rather than deciding what this lockdown is.  Am I right in thinking that we will not know with it really means until Wednesday?  Obviously it’s the second home question that is the important one.

5 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Two lockdown threads have been merged as both notionally deal with what boaters should do over lockdown. Whilst references to government are necessary if you want to go political start you're own thread there. If this one goes political I'll move it to politics (again)

Thanks MP, if this refers to a political discussion then I think the political posts should be split off to leave a thread related to boating in General Boating.

22 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Thanks MP, if this refers to a political discussion then I think the political posts should be split off to leave a thread related to boating in General Boating.

Look I am having enough problem following this thread as it is don't go requesting anymore messing about with it please!

When threads are merged two things happen for me:

when I click to go to the first new post I end up with pages to plough through which I have already read

the thread becomes very disjointed with replies from another thread being put in between others.

Edited by Jerra
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, PhilR said:

What is the consensus of opinion on winterising a non-liveaboard boat (apart from draining down obvious things) ?

Lots of ventilation / no ventilation / a de-humidifier / small heater / remove and store all soft furnishings / cover the cabin with a tarpaulin .... or any combination of those?

If you are on hook up leave some oil filled heaters through the boat, we use 2/3 depending on how we feel and weather forecast if we go away overnight or so. Will cost about twenty quid a week tops to save your ££££££££££££££££££££££££££ investment from getting damp/mould/mildew etc etc.

Do NOT cover with tarpaulin.

Edited by mrsmelly

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If you are on hook up leave some oil fired heaters through the boat, we use 2/3 depending on how we feel and weather forecast if we go away overnight or so. Will cost about twenty quid a week tops to save your ££££££££££££££££££££££££££ investment from getting damp/mould/mildew etc etc.

Doubt it will cost £20 a week. We have 2 heaters, and if it is really cold it is about £1 a day.  Winter 2010/2011 was the worst about £80 for the winter, most years about £30 for the winter.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

If you are on hook up leave some oil fired heaters through the boat, we use 2/3 depending on how we feel and weather forecast if we go away overnight or so. Will cost about twenty quid a week tops to save your ££££££££££££££££££££££££££ investment from getting damp/mould/mildew etc etc.

When I bought joyce I could not close any doors as they were swollen through damp (boat empty fo a year) I put in a dehumidifier and latterly fired up the bubble stove on low, it took weeks before the boat felt dry. This was the bad frozen 18 inch deep ice winter so it was no surprise it took so long 

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Doubt it will cost £20 a week. We have 2 heaters, and if it is really cold it is about £1 a day.  Winter 2010/2011 was the worst about £80 for the winter, most years about £30 for the winter.

I agre thats why I said tops. It does depend what setting you have them on I tend to be at around 12 plus degrees.

1 minute ago, Victor Vectis said:

First 4 o clock, then 5, now all but 7pm.

Am I the only person thinking bojo is waiting while 19:00 so that 'Strictly' can be posponed for him?

Or better still not shown!!