Government realises boats exist!

frangar

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Traveller said:

MY marina will. No way will they let me stay overnight.

They certainly are not checking at our marina and despite it having 24 hour security on site there are still plenty of people staying onboard their boats.

There is only one residential mooring in the whole marina so in theory they should be the only ones staying onboard there right now.

There is a difference between mixing it and following the rules. To date I've followed (and exceeded ) the rules. However, it's becoming increasingly difficult to do so for several reasons. Firstly they've become extremely confusing, explain the  bubble rule in logical terms. Presently I am permitted to drive 75 miles to visit and work on my boat (within distancing rules). At the end of the day I am permitted, indeed required to drive another 75 miles back home to sleep. The following day I am permitted to repeat the process. I am not permitted to stay on the boat overnight either in the marina or on the bank some 50 yards away. 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Traveller said:

No but they likely cancel my mooring contract when I get back. Rightly so.

Can't see why. You could have parked your boat somewhere else for a day or two and gone home overnight. You have to go home, I don't think the boat has to!

52 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have no desire to go out there and mix it yet, What were the numbers when lockdown was put on?

The infection rate will remain raised at present for  a considerable time I think.  It's certainly not over.

No restaurants or bars for me for along time.

On the plus side Beer at Morrisons reduced - depending on your taste in beer.

Old Speckled Hen or Hobgoblin 500ml  £1 per bottle.

20 minutes ago, Slim said:

There is a difference between mixing it and following the rules. To date I've followed (and exceeded ) the rules. However, it's becoming increasingly difficult to do so for several reasons. Firstly they've become extremely confusing, explain the  bubble rule in logical terms. Presently I am permitted to drive 75 miles to visit and work on my boat (within distancing rules). At the end of the day I am permitted, indeed required to drive another 75 miles back home to sleep. The following day I am permitted to repeat the process. I am not permitted to stay on the boat overnight either in the marina or on the bank some 50 yards away. 

You don't need "permission", any more than you need it to drive st 80 on the motorway.  You can do whatever you like, bearing in mind that there may be penalties if you break the law.  Of course, you have to be found out first, and then someone has to decide if it's worth bothering with (both rather unlikely). There is an interesting point that all this stuff is being done by statutory instruments, with no consultation, explained justification, debate or overall parliamentary oversight, and it could well be argued that it has no real legal validity, as it's all really just on the whim of the PM or some other politician.

The only thing that really matters is what you think will keep you, and others you are in touch with, safe.

ETA and, as its all likely to be opened up in a couple of weeks, whether it's worth the hassle, and you might as well just wait a bit longer.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

8 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Can't see why. You could have parked your boat somewhere else for a day or two and gone home overnight. You have to go home, I don't think the boat has to!

Because the marina is expecting to see all boats back at their berth each night. Anything else and they see it as putting the staff and other moorers at risk. The rules do say one must return to their home mooring each night. 

Just now, Traveller said:

Because the marina is expecting to see all boats back at their berth each night. Anything else and they see it as putting the staff and other moorers at risk. The rules do say one must return to their home mooring each night. 

Our Marina wants boats back and you off the site by 4pm - I can't see any Government mention of times to vacate so assume this is the marina itself making this unilateral decision. Pity as we could use the extra 5 hours or so 'till 9pm to get things done and I can't see this as being unreasonable or increasing any infection spread. These are the things which people remember when it comes to renewing...

8 minutes ago, Traveller said:

3 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Our Marina wants boats back and you off the site by 4pm - I can't see any Government mention of times to vacate so assume this is the marina itself making this unilateral decision. Pity as we could use the extra 5 hours or so 'till 9pm to get things done and I can't see this as being unreasonable or increasing any infection spread. These are the things which people remember when it comes to renewing...

There is no justification for those requirements but its their business and they are free to damage it.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Traveller said:

21 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I would be finding a new marina :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, MartynG said:

The infection rate will remain raised at present for  a considerable time I think.  It's certainly not over.

No restaurants or bars for me for along time.

On the plus side Beer at Morrisons reduced - depending on your taste in beer.

Old Speckled Hen or Hobgoblin 500ml  £1 per bottle.

As we want the pubs to survive and be there when things return to "normality" we will, provided there are measures in place, be using them.

They will not survive if people avoid them. Use them or lose them. 

5 minutes ago, Traveller said:

I am quite happy with the way my marina had performed throughout. 

Sounds like a prison camp not a marina.

13 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I would be finding a new marina :rolleyes:

We are due to move on to a new Marina in September anyway to cover other canal sections, but the way the marina has implemented certain aspects of the lockdown means we would have probably moved anyway, as lockdowns may come and go over the next few months/years...

Edited by robtheplod

9 hours ago, MartynG said:

Perhaps an unduly pessimistic view. I have heard that we are about three weeks behind France and Spain as regards the progress of the virus, and a look at Worldometer's graphs suggests that this is about right. The most recent figures for those two counties show new bcases at about 150 to 200 per day. 29 people died from (or with) the virus in France yesterday (or on the most recent day recorded on the graph). There have been no deaths from the bug in Spain for a week or so now. So that is what we have to look forward to in,, say, the second week of July..

Edited by Athy

17 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

As we want the pubs to survive and be there when things return to "normality" we will, provided there are measures in place, be using them.

Why does it sound like a prison camp? What are they doing that is not in line with Govt and CRT advice?

29 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The problem is 'other people'.  I would be prepared to use pubs when they re-open if I was confident that all customers would play their part.  But I can easily picture groups of friends clogging up walkways etc, hugging, back-slapping etc.  And getting drunk and therefore beligerent when challenged. 

I will be very wary about going into such places.

31 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I’m looking forward to going to a pub as soon as possible! Especially the smaller micropubs....and if that was my marina I’d be moving pretty soon...it’s not as if there isn’t a choice these days. Some are still enjoying being martyrs it seems. 

Off boating on Sunday & I can’t wait! 

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

It contains a number of errors of fact and law. What I wonder with these schemes is what happens if most, but not all, the money is collected such that the JR can’t go ahead. Who gets to keep it? A fool and his money...

Anyway you need a lot more than £6k for a JR even if it wasn’t doomed to failure from the outset.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

29 people died from (or with) the virus in France yesterday (or on the most recent day recorded on the graph). There have been no deaths from the bug in Spain for a week or so now. So that is what we have to look forward to in,, say, the second week of July..

Spain changed the way they report deaths from the virus 2 weeks ago so it now shows NO deaths from the virus. Plenty are still dying, but unless they die, and have a postmortem same day which shows Covid19, are not registered as a covid death.

1 hour ago, Traveller said:

Why does it sound like a prison camp? What are they doing that is not in line with Govt and CRT advice?

Insisting that the boat has to be back on it's berth each night.

There is nothing in the current CRT or government guidance that would stop you mooring the boat elsewhere overnight provided you are not staying on it.

57 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The problem is 'other people'.  I would be prepared to use pubs when they re-open if I was confident that all customers would play their part.  But I can easily picture groups of friends clogging up walkways etc, hugging, back-slapping etc.  And getting drunk and therefore beligerent when challenged. 

I will be very wary about going into such places.

And those will be the pubs that we avoid as clearly they would not have measures in place.

Not all pubs will be like that though and some will take their responsibilities seriously.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

It contains a number of errors of fact and law. What I wonder with these schemes is what happens if most, but not all, the money is collected such that the JR can’t go ahead. Who gets to keep it? A fool and his money...

Anyway you need a lot more than £6k for a JR even if it wasn’t doomed to failure from the outset.

initially it's only pledging your money, if the target is met then money is taken, target not met, nobody pays. at least that's how crowdfunding usually works.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Perhaps an unduly pessimistic view. I have heard that we are about three weeks behind France and Spain as regards the progress of the virus, and a look at Worldometer's graphs suggests that this is about right. The most recent figures for those two counties show new bcases at about 150 to 200 per day. 29 people died from (or with) the virus in France yesterday (or on the most recent day recorded on the graph). There have been no deaths from the bug in Spain for a week or so now. So that is what we have to look forward to in,, say, the second week of July..

How far behind China are we.