Government realises boats exist!

frangar

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I agree that real beer has to be hand pulled pint. 

But bottled beers are okay and  a lot of people drink them anyway , even in a pub. My beers (and whisky)  are arriving later this evening.  The beer at £1 per 500ml is  a lot less than a pub.

Drinking beer (or whatever you prefer) on a boat has to come close to the same activity in a pub , if not  better.

Just done a collection from my local brewery (Art Brew) which sells a lot of bottle conditioned beer, and was told not to drink some of them for a few days as they needed time to bottle condition. ;)

Its difficult to tell the difference between their bottled and draft as it all made from the same batch.

https://m.facebook.com/ArtBrewBrewery/

https://untappd.com/artbrew

The best beer on your own at home can never be as good as even session  beer in good company in a great pub. We love boats, beer seems to be popular, pubs closed. We need a few more craft ale roving trader boats doing off sales and take your own (socially distanced) chair.

17 minutes ago, frangar said:

I didn't think you were going anywhere near your boat at the moment ........

I  have been visiting the boat and  don't consider my own boat a source for the virus as no else other than the chief officer and my self have been on board for a while.

However we are obeying the guidelines  as much to protect others as to protect ourselves . If you choose to do otherwise that's your business .

Why do you attempt to ridicule those who choose to obey the guidelines ?

Best story yet is a couple on a boat anchored 500 yards off the shore were told at 1 am to up anchor and go home by a plod in a rib. They posed zero risk to anyone except pc plod. They did however manage to get him to accept that as the tide was going to be against them for the next 4 hours they may as well stay at anchor rather than be carried out to sea thus prolonging their absence from their home.

• Greenie 1

As far as I can see, if you go to your boat for a few days and live on it, it becomes the place where you are living and therefor you are allowed to live on it.  Am I missing something?

Edited by billS

5 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Why do you attempt to ridicule those who choose to obey the guidelines ?

I prefer to think for myself rather than blindly follow....the rules for boats have been bastardised from second homes....its not like you are travelling to a second home in cornwall..if you are visiting your boat then why not stay the night? Indeed taking it out poses little risk to yourself or anyone else if you are sensible with hand washing etc...surely that's something we are all aware  of anyway with the various nasties in the cut? Even my 72 year old mother has found a hairdresser!!

3 minutes ago, Detling said:

Best story yet is a couple on a boat anchored 500 yards off the shore were told at 1 am to up anchor and go home by a plod in a rib. They posed zero risk to anyone except pc plod. They did however manage to get him to accept that as the tide was going to be against them for the next 4 hours they may as well stay at anchor rather than be carried out to sea thus prolonging their absence from their home.

And then plod wonder why there is little to no respect for them....

40 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not really. 

There is something very different about having a pint in a pub to having a drink at home or on the boat. 

It isn't all about the price. 

Bottled beer and hand pull keg beer is not the same thing even for the same brand and name.

14 minutes ago, frangar said:

……..the rules for boats have been bastardised from second homes....its not like you are travelling to a second home in cornwall..if you are visiting your boat then why not stay the night?

Does Devon count ?

One of my boats is in Plymouth, the other in North Wales.

One is 200 miles away and the other 300 miles away

13 minutes ago, frangar said:

I prefer to think for myself rather than blindly follow....the rules for boats have been bastardised from second homes....its not like you are travelling to a second home in cornwall..if you are visiting your boat then why not stay the night? Indeed taking it out poses little risk to yourself or anyone else if you are sensible with hand washing etc...surely that's something we are all aware  of anyway with the various nasties in the cut? Even my 72 year old mother has found a hairdresser!!

Fine

But please don't ridicule peole who choose to do otherwise .  

• Greenie 3

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Does Devon count ?

One of my boats is in Plymouth, the other in North Wales.

One is 200 miles away and the other 300 miles away

And do you consider you would add a risk if you stayed the night or took them out to sea? Whats the feeling on the sea going forums?

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

And do you consider you would add a risk if you stayed the night or took them out to sea? Whats the feeling on the sea going forums?

Well, the one in Wales I cannot even access as you can only travel 5 miles, people crossing the border are being turned around by the Police, so that ones out,

The Plymouth boat marina is working on "you can only access the marina for the day, everyone must be gone at 'gate locking up' time". (No overnighting)

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

Then test it in court, as that would be the only ruling that matters in the end.  Out of interest what do you think that it means, and what the government intended by this section of the instrument?

I dont need to test it. That is the law.

The government had a problem to define where people were living. Primary Residence is not good enough in law as there is no legal definition and the one used for tax purposes says you can elect where your primary residence is ....so the law uses the best words possible ie where you are living.

Their advice may use other words but they are not legally enforcable.

35 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I dont need to test it. That is the law.

The government had a problem to define where people were living. Primary Residence is not good enough in law as there is no legal definition and the one used for tax purposes says you can elect where your primary residence is ....so the law uses the best words possible ie where you are living.

Their advice may use other words but they are not legally enforcable.

You think it is not legally enforceable, but no doubt pod do think that it is.  So you would need to use the court system to assert your innocence.  My guess would be you would not win, but I certainly would not want to go through that hassle to find out. 

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

You think it is not legally enforceable, but no doubt pod do think that it is.  So you would need to use the court system to assert your innocence.  My guess would be you would not win, but I certainly would not want to go through that hassle to find out. 

The police have to actually find you breaking the rules first. I doubt they are going to walk the towpath looking for "offenders" 

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

How is the risk any less going to a boat than to a holiday home?

The risk, as has been pointed out many times, is not to you. It is that the NHS is set up with a local capacity, and if that is suddenly exceeded by a load of people coming into an area, it won't cope, and people will die.

None of the laws, rules or advice will stop you getting ill, but they may affect your chance of recovery, and that of others.

Society doesn't care if you get ill. It does care about the survival of the NHS.

28 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The risk, as has been pointed out many times, is not to you. It is that the NHS is set up with a local capacity, and if that is suddenly exceeded by a load of people coming into an area, it won't cope, and people will die.

None of the laws, rules or advice will stop you getting ill, but they may affect your chance of recovery, and that of others.

Society doesn't care if you get ill. It does care about the survival of the NHS.

Sorry Arthur I am well aware of that.   What I was trying to sound out was why boaters think they are special and they should ignore or be given permission to stay away from home when second home owners can't.

I undoubtedly agree with your last line.   Incidentally the laws, rules and advice don't stop you getting ill but they do make it very much less likely, if everybody obeys them that is.   However far too many seem to have a cheerful disregard for what is best for the NHS putting what they want selfishly before the greater good.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

The police have to actually find you breaking the rules first. I doubt they are going to walk the towpath looking for "offenders" 

Who knows these days....anything for an easy "collar" and avoid having to do any real police work.....best not give them ideas!!!

45 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

But most canals are in the industrial north or the midlands. Yes the llangollen is in a rural area but the other canals are in populated areas so a few boaters will not cause a problem to the NHS. Different matter caravans and motorhomes, who head to Cornwall and the lakes etc rural low local population and would possibly swamp local facilities.

15 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I know what you are saying, and am merely playing devils advocate:

Continuous cruising liveaboards are free to travel anywhere on the network*, with no restrictions related to NHS capacity. The NHS capacity argument, when applied to boats, doesn’t really hold water.

Given that there is now guidance specifically for boats, such that there is an opportunity to differentiate between boats and static second homes, you would think moving and staying overnight would be allowed.

2 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

Back to beer...

There is nothing better than a lunchtime beer while at the tiller on a sunny day, especially if it's followed by a sandwich and another beer in a canalside pub garden.

It isn't a sunny day though so put that beer away.