Government realises boats exist!

frangar

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yes it has, but that just seems to be an aspiration, not any fact.  I would like to think it is possible, but with all these demo/riots and the shops opening, I am not optimistic.

I would have thought they would follow the guidance for boats as published yesterday, and as emended.

I'm thinking that the "country" now has no respect for the Government or the C19 rules, when the Police stand by and watch vandalism and groups of thousands breaking the law why should business pay any attention to what a website says - they are just starting to do what they think is 'right'.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm thinking that the "country" now has no respect for the Government or the C19 rules, when the Police stand by and watch vandalism and groups of thousands breaking the law why should business pay any attention to what a website says - they are just starting to do what they think is 'right'.

Yep, it’s all gone a bit tits up really.  Not sure businesses are on mass are going to defy the government though, but certainly most individuals seem to be just doing what they want now.

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yep, it’s all gone a bit tits up really.  Not sure businesses are on mass are going to defy the government though, but certainly most individuals seem to be just doing what they want now.

No, not at all.  I'm waiting another 37 minutes before I move to live on the boat, to be in compliance with the "bubble" rules that start tomorrow.  Of course I might just decide to stay with my "bubble" of MrsBiscuit and BobBiscuit at their house tonight ...

On 11/06/2020 at 19:37, TheBiscuits said:

You need to be a better barracks room lawyer.

If you decide to live on the boat and your wife decides to live in the house, you can be each other's "bubble", which means you are permitted to stay overnight at each other's residence. 

It's a very fine difference between just staying on the boat or at the house as the mood takes you, but is both  legal and in full compliance with the guidelines! 

13 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

No, not at all.  I'm waiting another 37 minutes before I move to live on the boat, to be in compliance with the "bubble" rules that start tomorrow.  Of course I might just decide to stay with my "bubble" of MrsBiscuit and BobBiscuit at their house tonight ...

We have also had that discussion today.  I’m holding out for the good news, but it they continue to mess this up, I’m going rogue.

11 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Not seen an official announcement yet, but the date of 4th July has been knocking around the hire fleets for quite a while.  It's the overnight stay thing we are all waiting for from the government.

If the Government had any sense they would trial the overnight sleeping on leisure boaters to assess the impact on the "R rate" before unleashing the hirers.

Today would be a good day to start the trial... ?

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, john6767 said:

We have also had that discussion today.  I’m holding out for the good news, but it they continue to mess this up, I’m going rogue.

We are the same, if nothing changes in the next week we will be living on our boat for a couple of weeks.

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

If the Government had any sense they would trial the overnight sleeping on leisure boaters to assess the impact on the "R rate" before unleashing the hirers.

I agree . Staying overnight on your own boat in your own household group or bubble  should  be  specifically permitted by the government as it does not now seem any  different to other guidance and significantly  less risk than some other permitted activities like sending children to school and going shopping.

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

One of the reasons people have no respect for the rules is the nonsensical wsy the police used them initially to throw their weight about. As far as vandalism goes, the cops have done nothing about this for years, any more than they do about burglaries or any other "low level crime". Another reason for the lack or rule respect is that half the Government including the PM, have broken them and been caught doing so.

Everyone is more or less now doing what they want while, as far as they can be bothered, keeping themselves safe.

Anyway, when was the last time anyone had any respect for any government or politician?

19 hours ago, blackrose said:

. But is it only for single parents and if so why not also for any other single people who live alone including those without children?

It is for anybody living alone as well as single parents.

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't think it is doing what is right,  more a matter of doing what they want or more likely, makes money and where they can get away with it. Not a good direction for social order longer term . . . methinks

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

One of the reasons people have no respect for the rules is the nonsensical wsy the police used them initially to throw their weight about. As far as vandalism goes, the cops have done nothing about this for years, any more than they do about burglaries or any other "low level crime". Another reason for the lack or rule respect is that half the Government including the PM, have broken them and been caught doing so.

Everyone is more or less now doing what they want while, as far as they can be bothered, keeping themselves safe.

Anyway, when was the last time anyone had any respect for any government or politician?

Part of the problem is that whenever something seems to have 'gone wrong' there is a hue and cry for the government to 'do something' to stop it. The only think that a government can do is make law and regulations. As a result we have a proliferation of ill considered and often ill suited regulations that cannot be policed. But then, we do seem to have a culture of 'getting away with it' so what else can be done?

4 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I don't think it is doing what is right,  more a matter of doing what they want or more likely, makes money and where they can get away with it. Not a good direction for social order longer term . . . methinks

Part of the problem is that whenever something seems to have 'gone wrong' there is a hue and cry for the government to 'do something' to stop it. The only think that a government can do is make law and regulations. As a result we have a proliferation of ill considered and often ill suited regulations that cannot be policed. But then, we do seem to have a culture of 'getting away with it' so what else can be done?

The best thing a government can do is to tell the truth, and legislate as little as possible, just like the best boss at work is the one who says what they want and doesn't interfere too much while you do it. Our governments (all flavours) have a history of trying to con us and write endless laws which unfortunate judges and cops have to deal with.

This lot tried to tell us they could stop us catching Covid, which is nonsense, instead of just defining best practice and letting the NHS do its stuff, rather than making pettifogging rules and contradictory advice and palming health off onto known incompetents like Serco and Deloittes.

• Greenie 2

On 13/06/2020 at 22:55, Arthur Marshall said:

The best thing a government can do is to tell the truth, and legislate as little as possible, just like the best boss at work is the one who says what they want and doesn't interfere too much while you do it. Our governments (all flavours) have a history of trying to con us and write endless laws which unfortunate judges and cops have to deal with.

This lot tried to tell us they could stop us catching Covid, which is nonsense, instead of just defining best practice and letting the NHS do its stuff, rather than making pettifogging rules and contradictory advice and palming health off onto known incompetents like Serco and Deloittes.

Indeed

On 11/06/2020 at 19:01, frangar said:

Let’s face it...who is going to check if you are liveaboard or not...some are very keen to be a Martyr to a virus and not think for themselves...I just don’t get that I’m afraid. 

MY marina will. No way will they let me stay overnight.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Our marina won't even let you into the marina.

Don't understand that. It has been ok to visit the boat and indeed do a day trip for a short while now. Our marina likes to be pre-advised that a visit is to be made but that is all.

1 minute ago, Slim said:

Not the total picture but the government lost control the moment they ignored the Cummings incident.

Do you think so? Valid point but there was evidence that lockdown was beginning to falter even before that. Here is sleepy Suffolk support for the rules has been quite good throughout and continues to be so.

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

What if you took the boat out for a few days? Will they follow you and check you aren’t still on board at midnight? Probably not.

No but they likely cancel my mooring contract when I get back. Rightly so.

Edited by Traveller

40 minutes ago, Slim said:

Not the total picture but the government lost control the moment they ignored the Cummings incident.

I wouldnt say they lost control, I think it is more...lost the goodwill of the British public with their rabid press releases,.lies and defence of Cummings.

• Greenie 4

36 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I wouldnt say they lost control, I think it is more...lost the goodwill of the British public with their rabid press releases,.lies and defence of Cummings.

I'm not disagreeing.