Government realises boats exist!

frangar

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You can do whatever you like, bearing in mind that there may be penalties if you break the law.  Of course, you have to be found out first, and then someone has to decide if it's worth bothering with (both rather unlikely).

And if you are one of Boris's in-crowd you can still be found out first, yet nobody in authority will decide it's worth bothering with.

Just now, David Mack said:

And if you are one of Boris's in-crowd you can still be found out first, yet nobody in authority will decide it's worth bothering with.

Seeing as how the courts now have a backlog of tens of thousands of cases and it's taking about a year on bail to get charged and at least another to be tried, I think we're safe enough. Unless you pee on a statue, which is obviously more important than cases or murder, rape, theft etc.

13 hours ago, MartynG said:

We are fully obeying the rules and feel like we are in a  minority group.

Me too. Even bolshie leftwing anarchists want to stay alive!  Most of the rules are common sense, and the ones that seem barmy are just the unthought of consequences of generally sensible ones. Although compulsory masks on all public transport is daft - up here, most of the day there's two people on each bus and one of them's the driver. Makes sense in London, not so much anywhere else, but then the guys making the rules only know London..

15 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You don't need "permission", any more than you need it to drive st 80 on the motorway.  You can do whatever you like, bearing in mind that there may be penalties if you break the law.  Of course, you have to be found out first, and then someone has to decide if it's worth bothering with (both rather unlikely). There is an interesting point that all this stuff is being done by statutory instruments, with no consultation, explained justification, debate or overall parliamentary oversight, and it could well be argued that it has no real legal validity, as it's all really just on the whim of the PM or some other politician.

The only thing that really matters is what you think will keep you, and others you are in touch with, safe.

ETA and, as its all likely to be opened up in a couple of weeks, whether it's worth the hassle, and you might as well just wait a bit longer.

In general, the use of SI's has been a positive in legislation because they are much easier to modify than primary legislation. How often have we bemoaned the fact that much of the regulatory framework for the canals has to be governed by detailed legislation drawn up for a very different era. If that had been done by SI then we could - to take but a small, yet recent, issue, that of displaying licences.

The law which permits a subject matter to be covered by SI does, of course, have to be fully debated and the case made. Sadly, in an increasingly autocratic system, the SI can be abused, certainly misused. No-one ever justified calling a democracy an efficient form of government!

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Me too. Even bolshie leftwing anarchists want to stay alive!  Most of the rules are common sense, and the ones that seem barmy are just the unthought of consequences of generally sensible ones. Although compulsory masks on all public transport is daft - up here, most of the day there's two people on each bus and one of them's the driver. Makes sense in London, not so much anywhere else, but then the guys making the rules only know London..

How come your buses are so crowded?

9 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

They will not survive if people avoid them. Use them or lose them. 

The true impact on the hospitality sector is yet to be understood. There  are certain to be many businesses  that do not survive . 

I would not be surprised if  eating out or going out for a pint may become  a much less frequent more  luxury thing to do as the cost may need to rise  substantially. eg half the number of customers in the same space will have to pay twice a much for their meal or for  a pint.

I  really like a hand pulled pint (don't understand why people want to drink fizzy chemical brew  lager in a pub when proper beer is available ) . But I will give up on that if it means risking a life threatening illness.

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The true impact on the hospitality sector is yet to be understood. There  are certain to be many businesses  that do not survive . 

I would not be surprised if  eating out or going out for a pint may become  a much less frequent more  luxury thing to do as the cost may need to rise  substantially. eg half the number of customers in the same space will have to pay twice a much for their meal or for  a pint.

I  really like a hand pulled pint (don't understand why people want to drink fizzy chemical brew  lager in a pub when proper beer is available ) . But I will give up on that if it means risking a life threatening illness.

Most micropubs are still doing takeouts. I’m doing my best to support them...and I’ll happily go for a beer when they reopen fully. If I avoided everything that might kill me I’d have a very dull life! 

Edited by frangar

12 minutes ago, frangar said:

If I avoided everything that might kill me I’d have a very dull life! 

Do you do much that has a 1 to 1617 ?    We all have risks in our lives but I doubt any are as high a risk of death as Covid-19.

As I said in an earlier post crossing the road has a risk but most people don't do it with a truck careering towards them.

To me it is a question of keeping social distancing etc to reduce the chance of that truck hitting you.   It isn't as if it only affects the individual who catches it, some poor soul has to risk their life trying to save them.

57 minutes ago, frangar said:

Most micropubs are still doing takeouts. I’m doing my best to support them...and I’ll happily go for a beer when they reopen fully. If I avoided everything that might kill me I’d have a very dull life! 

Enjoyment  doesn't have to include beer ............in a pub.

(Says he who has just ordered a bottle of scotch and lots of  bottles of beer for home delivery):cheers:

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

Can we find a home for all those who are enjoying lockdown...isle of wight maybe? Then the rest of us can just get on with it! 

I must have missed those posts can you point me to somebody who has said they are enjoying lockdown?

9 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Insisting that the boat has to be back on it's berth each night.

There is nothing in the current CRT or government guidance that would stop you mooring the boat elsewhere overnight provided you are not staying on it.

And those will be the pubs that we avoid as clearly they would not have measures in place.

You may say that but crt disagree. I prefer to work with their interpretation as does my marina, thankfully.  I sought clarification a little while ago and here is their response "thanks for getting in touch. If you have a home mooring you must return to the mooring every night. Only customers without a mooring can continue cruising/use the temporary moorings. I hope this helps, please do let us know if you have any further questions".  

My mother who is 72 has successfully broken lockdown in South Africa to get a flight back to her UK house...and has just informed me that she’s found a hairdresser who will give her a trim next week....and along with a few friends Some of whom are 80+ is meeting up with them...when I asked if that was in a garden etc she said not likely in this rain!....It amuses me when others are frightened to leave a house that quite a few older people are sticking 2 fingers up and cracking on with life....indeed some I know were the first to go out on their boats. 

1 minute ago, Traveller said:

You may say that but crt disagree. I prefer to work with their interpretation as does my marina, thankfully.  I sought clarification a little while ago and here is their response "thanks for getting in touch. If you have a home mooring you must return to the mooring every night. Only customers without a mooring can continue cruising/use the temporary moorings. I hope this helps, please do let us know if you have any further questions".  

When did you ask that question.  The bit about returning to your home mooring did use to be there when CRT were asking that the use of locks were kept a a minimum.  Since that restriction was removed, I don't think the return to home mooring is there there anymore.

2 minutes ago, Traveller said:

It doesn't state that on the CRT website under their advice.

Our boat is almost 50 hours cruising away from our home mooring so we are going to have to not sleep for a few nights so we can follow the advice and get it back to its home mooring.

Just now, john6767 said:

When did you ask that question.  The bit about returning to your home mooring did use to be there when CRT were asking that the use of locks were kept a a minimum.  Since that restriction was removed, I don't think the return to home mooring is there there anymore.

A couple of days ago.

10 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

A bit late but I've been busy. There was an article in the Saturday Times advocating paddle boarding on the canals. When the rules are eventually relaxed we may find we've got a new set of water users to contend with. 

Paddle boards on the cut aren’t a new phenomenon...especially around london & on long pounds. 

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

It doesn't state that on the CRT website under their advice.

Our boat is almost 50 hours cruising away from our home mooring so we are going to have to not sleep for a few nights so we can follow the advice and get it back to its home mooring.

The question would be I guess why is it 50 odd hours away? Maybe there is an exception there somewhere.

Just now, Traveller said:

A couple of days ago.

I would say the person who responded it working from out of date info.  Check the web site and you will see there is no such limitation.  So if you are prepared to you can just shuffle cars and go home every night if you want to keep legal.  Makes a mockery of the situation of course.

1 minute ago, Traveller said:

The question would be I guess why is it 50 odd hours away? Maybe there is an exception there somewhere.

We had left the boat somewhere temporarily to return to our home mooring in April so stuck where it is until our holiday when we will have to move it back. Holiday  is the last week of June though so if anyone asks we will be living on the boat and therefore allowed to cruise.

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I would say the person who responded it working from out of date info.  Check the web site and you will see there is no such limitation.  So if you are prepared to you can just shuffle cars and go home every night if you want to keep legal.  Makes a mockery of the situation of course.

There is such a restriction listed for Wales but not England

Just now, john6767 said:

Well I have heard this twice now and it makes sense to me but I'll ask gain. Why would leisure boaters be treated differently to residential boats? Residential boats with a home mooring have to return to that mooring each night so it is only continuous cruisers who have the freedom.

13 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We had left the boat somewhere temporarily to return to our home mooring in April so stuck where it is until our holiday when we will have to move it back. Holiday  is the last week of June though so if anyone asks we will be living on the boat and therefore allowed to cruise.

There is such a restriction listed for Wales but not England

Yes there are more restrictions in Wales, our son is currently imprisoned there (not on a boat though)!  I notice in Wales you are not even allowed to stop when you come off your mooring.  But then you have to live within 5 mile of the mooring to get to it anyway, so not gonig to be too much boat movement there.

8 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Well I have heard this twice now and it makes sense to me but I'll ask gain. Why would leisure boaters be treated differently to residential boats? Residential boats with a home mooring have to return to that mooring each night so it is only continuous cruisers who have the freedom.

Leisure boaters are different simply because the government regulations say that except for some very specific reasons, like attending a funeral, no one is allowed to be away from their primary residence overnight.  I can't see why a residential boat with a home mooring has to go back there each night, they can cruise freely.  It would be only continuous cruisers who's boat is their primary residence who can cruise freely, even as a CC'er if the boat is not your primary residence you can not stay on it overnight.

Edited by john6767