Government realises boats exist!

frangar

Featured Posts

Boats are now mentioned in Covid regs

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-coronavirus-using-a-boat-inland-and-on-the-coast?utm_source=79e42c4a-307c-498e-ae14-be4e9f4c8a7f&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

Doesn't say anything new but does show where they think different areas of boating tie into land based business etc.

It's welcome, but confusing. As far as I can see, we currently can't stay overnight on our boats if we don't live on them. But from June 13th, single persons will be able to stay overnight on the boat, but couples won't. That doesn't make sense.

Just now, Athy said:

It's welcome, but confusing. As far as I can see, we currently can't stay overnight on our boats if we don't live on them. But from June 13th, single persons will be able to stay overnight on the boat, but couples won't. That doesn't make sense.

Only if they take bubbles with them.

41wSDWi3VcL._AC_SY400_.jpg

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Single people will only be able to stay on the boat overnight if there are the rest of the support bubble, probably only if it happens to be the home of the "support bubble".  

Couples aren't deemed lonely enough to need a "support bubble".

29 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Single people will only be able to stay on the boat overnight if there are the rest of the support bubble, probably only if it happens to be the home of the "support bubble".  

Couples aren't deemed lonely enough to need a "support bubble".

So my single friend can come stay with me and my wife, and be safe, but I can't go and stay with her, because it would put us both in danger.  Well, I suppose her dog might bite me.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

So my single friend can come stay with me and my wife, and be safe, but I can't go and stay with her, because it would put us both in danger.  Well, I suppose her dog might bite me.

If I went to stay with a single lady friend my wife might put me in danger! :D

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

No.  Providing the single person has decided you and your wife are their "support bubble" it can work either way or both,   What isn't permissible is to change support bubbles.  The idea is to allow lonely singles to join with aaa group and in effect be treated as one household as far as living is concerned.  So the bubble can move between both premises, stay overnight, touch etc just as if it was a single household.

I suspect it is a step towards mitigating the effects of isolation and loneliness for the single.  Sensibly and rightly IMO.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

the latest email from IWA after a virtual meeting with the relevant Minister indicates that the 'no overnight' rule is not going to be relaxed any time soon - and it is deliberate choice not an oversight. No obvious argument that especially holds water (!) but what does?

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

the latest email from IWA after a virtual meeting with the relevant Minister indicates that the 'no overnight' rule is not going to be relaxed any time soon - and it is deliberate choice not an oversight. No obvious argument that especially holds water (!) but what does?

Let’s face it...who is going to check if you are liveaboard or not...some are very keen to be a Martyr to a virus and not think for themselves...I just don’t get that I’m afraid. 

• Greenie 3

26 minutes ago, Jerra said:

No.  Providing the single person has decided you and your wife are their "support bubble" it can work either way or both,   What isn't permissible is to change support bubbles.  The idea is to allow lonely singles to join with aaa group and in effect be treated as one household as far as living is concerned.  So the bubble can move between both premises, stay overnight, touch etc just as if it was a single household.

I suspect it is a step towards mitigating the effects of isolation and loneliness for the single.  Sensibly and rightly IMO.

Blimey, we agree.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

It seems clear to me.  Couples will be allowed from the same family.

This is called making a support bubble and you’re able to:

• meet indoors or out,
  • be less than 2 metres apart
  • stay overnight as you could if they were members of your own household.

You should only use a leisure, recreation, sport or pleasure boat with people from the same household unit or those in your support bubble.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Not sure where you getting that from, or are you saying the a single person will be able to go stay with someone who lives on a boat, which is true.  A single person can not stay on their own boat if they don't live on it.

The Welsh laws are pretty clear :

Can I go out in my boat?

Yes, if you can do it locally. Outdoor leisure activities are allowed under the regulations if they can be done within your local area, including sailing, windsurfing and motor boating. This generally means not travelling further than 5 miles to access marinas, ports and harbours.

There should be no overnight stays on boats, no landing in any place beyond the immediate local area and a return to the point of departure. Activities should only be undertaken with crews of people from the same household. We advise boaters to be mindful of the potential impact that you could have on other water users and to not place unnecessary pressure on the RNLI, coastguard and emergency services.

Do the Welsh rules apply to people coming to Wales from other parts of the UK?

Yes, the rules apply to everyone in Wales. People should not be travelling beyond their local area in Wales. This means that journeys into Wales will generally not be allowed.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

This lockdown is rapidly turning into total nonsense. I'm not at all surprised large numbers are now ignoring it.

I am not a large number but ...

Edited by system 4-50

2 hours ago, Athy said:

You need to be a better barracks room lawyer.

If you decide to live on the boat and your wife decides to live in the house, you can be each other's "bubble", which means you are permitted to stay overnight at each other's residence. 

It's a very fine difference between just staying on the boat or at the house as the mood takes you, but is both  legal and in full compliance with the guidelines! 

• Greenie 1