Another Red Diesel Threat

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, WotEver said:

One of my neighbours is a builder. He’s currently building a very large property with a cellar. The cost of digging out the cellar, diverting water courses, tanking the cellar whilst still allowing services to be admitted has cost as much as the rest of the house. He hates that cellar with a vengeance and has vowed never to build another unless it’s at the top of a hill. 

Deleted, wrong post

Edited by nb Innisfree

11 minutes ago, dor said:

What about the use of red diesel for heating?   

One tank for white diesel (propulsion)

One tank for rebated (5%) Kerosene.

Kero is much cheaper than gas-oil anyway . I have paid 40p / litre this week so its win-win all round.

Simples !

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, davem399 said:

Ours comes from Yorkshire :D

I think you'll find that like nearly all the tea consumed in the UK, it comes from Kenya.

32 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Once leccy cars become mainstream, expect 'transport duty' or some such tax to be introduced on electricity sales for car charging. The current price advantage of leccy motoring will only be temporary so best not to rely on fuel cost savings when working out whether it makes financial sense to buy that new Tesla Model S. 

More likely we will end up with a road pricing scheme so that all road users pay for the miles they travel. I don't expect road fuel duty to disappear, though.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I think you'll find that like nearly all the tea consumed in the UK, it comes from Kenya.

I think you'll find it comes from the death of a star, like everything. :) And the creation of another. How literal do we have to be?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Their widespread use would surely result in a steep increase in the consumption of tea. It's lucky that we don't have to import that from the EU [or do we?]

1 hour ago, davem399 said:

Ours comes from Yorkshire :D

That's OK. The Chancellor likes Yorkshire Tea.

rishi_sunak_tea.jpg

52 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Kero is much cheaper than gas-oil anyway . I have paid 40p / litre this week so its win-win all round.

Simples !

Bother - I've just paid 42.4o ppl for my kero...

8 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Bother - I've just paid 42.4o ppl for my kero...

That's the North / South divide working for for us (for a change)

I always phone 4 suppliers, this time I was quoted :

43.75p

46.95p

40.94p

40.00p

That's why I phone 4.

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

Another of the very few, (3??), and oft given benefits of Brexit down the tubes then :( 

It was never going to happen Richard so dont worry about it, they dont want pollution you can see that in everything this government is doing. Come April company cars will have incentives to be electric and disincentives to be ICE

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

It was never going to happen Richard so dont worry about it, they dont want pollution you can see that in everything this government is doing. Come April company cars will have incentives to be electric and disincentives to be ICE

Of course it wasn’t... and nor is VAT going to be reduced below 15%.... which only leaves the ports thing..... :( 

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's the North / South divide working for for us (for a change)

I always phone 4 suppliers, this time I was quoted :

43.75p

46.95p

40.94p

40.00p

That's why I phone 4.

My came from Crown oils who do price match mostly they are cheaper but not always

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Simples !

I agree that is the obvious solution, but will it be practical on canals?  Where people have a separate tank for heating fuel, how big are they, and will they find people to supply it in small quantities.  It has been often said on here that if the dual tank/red-white diesel setup became law, then most canalside services wouldn't fit two tanks and were likely to stop supplying diesel at all.

So i guess it will be people lugging jerry cans full of diesel down the towpath; not very practical for a lot of boaters. 

6 minutes ago, dor said:

I agree that is the obvious solution, but will it be practical on canals?  Where people have a separate tank for heating fuel, how big are they, and will they find people to supply it in small quantities.  It has been often said on here that if the dual tank/red-white diesel setup became law, then most canalside services wouldn't fit two tanks and were likely to stop supplying diesel at all.

So i guess it will be people lugging jerry cans full of diesel down the towpath; not very practical for a lot of boaters. 

But if there is no 'red' then the canal side suppliers will be supplying 'white'.

It will be the Kero that will be supplied in cans (like paraffin used to be)

Something the fuel boats could easily supply.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25L-Drum-Of-heating-oil-/392520915315?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Or delivered by truck at around £25 per 25 litres.

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It will be the Kero that will be supplied in cans (like paraffin used to be)

Now I've got that "Boom boom boom boom, Esso Blue" jingle going through my head.

Does it still exist? (Esso Blue I mean, not my head).

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

Now I've got that "Boom boom boom boom, Esso Blue" jingle going through my head.

Does it still exist? (Esso Blue I mean, not my head).

For heating we used to have the old 'Valor' paraffin heaters in the bedrooms (open coal fire in the lounge).

We'd take our 'Blue' can to the Jet petrol station and fill it up.

One like this (stock photos)

Image result for valor paraffin heater

Image result for esso blue can