Rustfree litter picker?

Featured Posts

The lovely chap in my local tool place pointed out that his litter pickers are both quite pricey and likely to rust in places (specifically the pins) if used in a canal...

So, looking for an alternative. What do people think of these giant aluminium tongs ? Or perhaps there are plastic/other water-friendly material other options?

Purpose is fishing horrid stuff out of canal for proper disposal. Have boat hook already but looking for something for smaller/less hook-able items. Also have fishing magnet, although am somewhat cautious about what I might find... the most likely item, I suspect, being the side of my boat!

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

2 hours ago, Guest said:

The lovely chap in my local tool place pointed out that his litter pickers are both quite pricey and likely to rust in places (specifically the pins) if used in a canal...

So, looking for an alternative. What do people think of these giant aluminium tongs ? Or perhaps there are plastic/other water-friendly material other options?

Purpose is fishing horrid stuff out of canal for proper disposal. Have boat hook already but looking for something for smaller/less hook-able items. Also have fishing magnet, although am somewhat cautious about what I might find... the most likely item, I suspect, being the side of my boat!

Don't underestimate boat hooks, the guy moored opposite me borrowed ours and fished four solar panels out of the canal between my boat and his own!

I modified a gully grab by cutting teeth into the sides of the bowl so water drains out. 

Excellent device for picking up nasties but quite expensive. I found mine in the cut someone must have dropped it and not had a magnet. 

These items :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAIN-GULLEY-SILT-GRAB-SCOOP-3-with-1-5-mtr-Handle-GULLY-/153816219050

Swerving sharply off-topic, what's happened to TheMenagerieAfloat? 

The OP was edited by Menagerie but the thread appears to be by "Guest". Has she had her profile cancelled/deleted? This seems to be the case on attempting to visit her profile.

What happened?!!

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Swerving sharply off-topic, what's happened to TheMenagerieAfloat? 

The OP was edited by Menagerie but the thread appears to be by "Guest". Has she had her profile cancelled/deleted? This seems to be the case on attempting to visit her profile.

What happened?!!

I think they had a run in with a couple of posters? I may be wrong which if correct would be a shame. I may well be wrong though, I have been married twice lol. Not everybody is as thick skinned as you and I. 

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I think they had a run in with a couple of posters? I may be wrong which if correct would be a shame. I may well be wrong though, I have been married twice lol. Not everybody is as thick skinned as you and I. 

Oh right, another new(ish) poster driven away by boorish behaviour from the old hands, eh?

12 hours ago, Guest said:

will a grappling anchor work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Military-Heavy-Grappling-Anchor-Bushcraft/dp/B006DA8AFI/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=grappling+anchor&qid=1581852370&s=sports&sr=1-3

6 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

Tongs look good but we use a cheap litter picker. They are £5.99 on eBay; at that price I am not too worried about how long they last (nor if I lose them somewhere). 

I use them when passing through the Birmingham locks, its easy to fill a sack.

I bought 4 on Ebay for  12 pounds, (lost the pound key on laptop). At 3 pounds a pop I don't care if they go rusty or break. In fact I'm still on my first one after using it to recover dropped tools etc during a fairly lengthy engine/gearbox repair. Most of the time it sits out in the rain in the cockpit. At one point I was using it to 9 inch lengths of 4 x 2 out of the engine bilge.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You could always try the tool that has been used on the canals for a couple of centuries - a KEB

You could get one made up with whatever spacing you wanted on the tines.

Image result for keb canal

Or maybe something like this :

Aquatic Weed Rake

I'm intrigued, an 11 foot handle and a body reach of say 6 feet equals 50 feet+ 

Edited. Just read the 43 feet of floating rope bit

Edited by Slim

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

So you have to throw the thing 43 feet? Unlikely I would have thought.

Nahhh... you wade out 43 ft, drop the thing, wade back, drag it to shore, realise you missed the garbage you were after, wade out 43 ft...

10 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

Very good for hooking out trolley's and bikes, as are the small folding dinghy anchors and easier to stow.