• Straight from the boat taps
    • Via a bug killing filter built into the boat
    • From the boat taps but boiled first
    • Buy bottled water for drinking
    • Refill single use plastic bottles from the water side stand pipes
    • Use a purpose made water carrier

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Eldog said:

Boiling water from tank for tea and coffee; bottled for cold drinks - this option not available but I believe quite common from folk I've met.

Yes, it's sensible, as boiling the water will sterilise it.

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Not being able to drink the water from your fresh water tank is a defect similar to not being able to use diesel from your diesel tank. The system is designed to deliver potable water: if it doesn't, fix it.

Where did you get that idea? The diesel tank holds diesel, the water tank holds water. Just as the diesel can get bugs, so in its own way can the water.

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Probably best to keep your eggs in the fridge rather than in the water tank....

Nope, eggs should not be chilled, keep at cool room temp.

You need one eggcup of bleach per ten gallons of water to have any sterilising effect.

Milton is for rinsing baby's bottles.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

All those who use bottled water for drinking what do you use for cleaning your teeth...?

A good point!

Toothpaste, followed by a sloosh and then a swallow of bottled water.

41 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You need one eggcup of bleach per ten gallons of water to have any sterilising effect.

Milton is for rinsing baby's bottles.

Plenty of threads on here saying Milton's is ok plus their own website says the same plus lots of motor home sites as well 

52 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have heard this before - but why (or why not)?

We keep our eggs in the fridge. We don't use many, and sometimes the last egg of each half-doz. will have been there for a month or more.

We have never had a bad one, nor have we suffered any ill effects from them.

24 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Plenty of threads on here saying Milton's is ok plus their own website says the same plus lots of motor home sites as well 

But bleach is basically the same thing at a fraction of the cost.   Warning:  bleach in this case means 'thin bleach' which is basically hypochlorite which does the sterilising (and bleaching).  Any residual smell of chlorine will disperse with time. Do not use "thick" bleach for your potable water system.

22 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have heard this before - but why (or why not)?

We keep our eggs in the fridge. We don't use many, and sometimes the last egg of each half-doz. will have been there for a month or more.

We have never had a bad one, nor have we suffered any ill effects from them.

It is one of those things stressed when you do a commercial food-hygiene course.

That and setting the temperature on the fridge does not mean the fridge is that temperature and actual internal temperature readings must be taken twice a day.

Learnt a lot when we had the restaurant.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is one of those things stressed when you do a commercial food-hygiene course.

That and setting the temperature on the fridge does not mean the fridge is that temperature and actual internal temperature readings must be taken twice a day.

Learnt a lot when we had the restaurant.

Interesting - but not an answer to my question. How, if at all, are eggs damaged by being kept cold?

Edited by Athy

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

Interesting - but not an answer to my question. How, if at all, are eggs damaged by being kept cold?

Google it mate it seems they last longer in the fridge according to most sites I have always used the fridge with no problems  they say it's a old wife's tale that it's bad for them 

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Where did you get that idea? The diesel tank holds diesel, the water tank holds water. Just as the diesel can get bugs, so in its own way can the water.

My point exactly.  If you get diesel bug, you sort it out, not supply your engine with bottled diesel.  If either tank/pipework is supplying something below the standard it was designed to it needs seeing to. 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

Primarily because egg shells are porous.

Keeping the eggs in the fridge door (which is where the egg holders are normally placed) means that they are subject to temperature fluctuations each time the door is opened. 

Condensation can occur on the egg shells which could result in bacterial growth which can penetrate the membrane and get into the egg.

Eggs can be kept in the 'back' of the fridge but must be used within 'minutes' of taking them out of the fridge to avoid the temperature change problems.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

The bit where the heading says The Right Refrigeration Method https://www.businessinsider.com/why-europeans-dont-refrigerate-eggs-2014-12?r=US&IR=T

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Keeping the eggs in the fridge door (which is where the egg holders are normally placed) means that they are subject to temperature fluctuations each time the door is opened. 

Condensation can occur on the egg shells which could result in bacterial growth which can penetrate the membrane and get into the egg.

Eggs can be kept in the 'back' of the fridge but must be used within 'minutes' of taking them out of the fridge to avoid the temperature change problems.

Again, interesting, and it sounds very scientific - but the results (i.e. eggs emerging perfectly edible after weeks in our fridge door) do not bear out your suggestions.

"Old wives' tale", as opined above, is probably right.

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

If either tank/pipework is supplying something below the standard it was designed to it needs seeing to. 

But it is - it's supplying water.

Just now, J R ALSOP said:

Been drinking from my S/Steel tank since I  built them in 1979, never used anything to purify, still here after 40 years.

I always keep my hose in the front hatch in the dark.

The fresh water going in has been cleaned and chlorinated by the local water authority, so that's a pretty good start.  After that, it should only become undrinkable if it's messed up aboard.

The hose though - where do you keep it when it isn't dark and isn't it a faff moving it twice a day? ;)

22 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Google it mate it seems they last longer in the fridge according to most sites I have always used the fridge with no problems  they say it's a old wife's tale that it's bad for them 

I find that an egg straight from the fridge put into boiling water for erm, boiling, crack more easily. 

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

This is correct. Temperature fluctuation is the worst thing you can do for egg storage. In catering whilst its allowed to keep eggs out of the fridge there is always an advisory on paperwork after an eho visit to keep them refridgerated, it is known by proffesional caterers to keep them in the confines and not the door of the fridge. There are many aspect to catering the average Joe Bloggs doesnt know, its not as easy and straightforward in many aspects as many people think, and yes I know supermarkets sell them straight off the shop floor but they dont refridgerate them and have them in a temperature fluctuating scenario.