Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

This piqued my interest more than a bit. 

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/13769308/

2 acres of land and a former pumphouse in Sutton pools which is below Culham lock on the Thames. Its part of a weir stream so access by boat is doable and I bet it is deep water. 

Auction end of the month. 

For sale by the nuclear decommissioning authority ! Maybe some free atmospheric lighting with a decent half life. A warm glow type of feeling. Some woodland for the fire. 

Only thing is being below the lock the levels will be incredibly variable and in a good winter its probably going up at least 2 metres. Culham is the deep one. 

Still interesting I wonder if change of use for the pumphouse would be feasible. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2023 at 21:48, magnetman said:

For sale by the nuclear decommissioning authority ! Maybe some free atmospheric lighting with a decent half life. A warm glow type of feeling. Some woodland for the fire. 

The pipeline (from Harwell) has been decommissioned for a while, so plenty of time to wash away any remains, (if they aren't buried - there were leaks from the pipeline in 1961 and 1988 that led to large quantities of topsoil being removed).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/decommissioning-of-the-harwell-site-discharge-pipeline

• Greenie 1

Yes it is the former outlet from Harwell. 

There is a large house who use the island opposite as a pleasure garden so I imagine the site was CPOd from them after WW2 and if they have money and sense they will be the auction winners and reabsorb it into their estate. 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

At £900k it looks an absolute bargain to me. 

Is there something wrong with it i'm missing? 

Hard to tell, but it looks as if there may only be access over the bridge. I note the agent's map was far from detailed and I could not find it on Google maps to confirm. Also, not far from Alton Towers so could be noisy with the wind in the wrong direction. What google claimed was the cottage did not seem close enough to the river.

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Hard to tell, but it looks as if there may only be access over the bridge. I note the agent's map was far from detailed and I could not find it on Google maps to confirm. Also, not far from Alton Towers so could be noisy with the wind in the wrong direction. What google claimed was the cottage did not seem close enough to the river.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/pjqurnTU1zHV1oRG7

2 hours ago, MtB said:

At £900k it looks an absolute bargain to me. 

Is there something wrong with it i'm missing? 

Looks as though access with a vehicle might be problematic, and getting supplies of oil for the boiler or solid fuel could be a challenge. The agent's details are suspiciously silent on these matters.

It would be interesting to know how high the flood waters would rise in a bad winter, and how much noise comes from the almost adjacent JCB test centre and the nearby Alton Towers.

1 hour ago, alias said:

Looks as though access with a vehicle might be problematic, and getting supplies of oil for the boiler or solid fuel could be a challenge. The agent's details are suspiciously silent on these matters.

It would be interesting to know how high the flood waters would rise in a bad winter, and how much noise comes from the almost adjacent JCB test centre and the nearby Alton Towers.

from comments on FB flooding may come into the equation 

15 minutes ago, CIEL said:

This is a panoramic photo on Google Maps showing double gates that appear to be in the South West corner of the property:-

https://maps.app.goo.gl/11FvMxZND9AF7EQg7

Those gates open onto the disused railway which appears to be a foot/cycle track. But there doesn't seem to be vehicular access to the footpath from the road bridges either side (let alone any right to take vehicles along the former railway) so I doubt this is a usable vehicle access to the property.

36 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Those gates open onto the disused railway which appears to be a foot/cycle track. But there doesn't seem to be vehicular access to the footpath from the road bridges either side (let alone any right to take vehicles along the former railway) so I doubt this is a usable vehicle access to the property.

The details say that that is how the kinds get to school.

Nigel Moore's (RIP) moorings. 

He showed me how high the tide occasionally comes over the side a few yars ago when I was visiting .

Not excessive but wants keeping an eye on. 

Its all gone mad round there with the Bellway ? or another B? developer construction works. 

Unrecognisable. 

Ballymore. 

Strange to call Brentford central London when it doesn't have a London postcode. 

Edited by magnetman

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

Its all gone mad round there with the Bellway ? or another B? developer construction works. 

Unrecognisable. 

I agree. I fixed a boiler there the other week and the place is being gentrified end to end. 

Nice to see the Magpie and Crown nestling untouched underneath all the development. Also the Beehive a bit further out. 

11 hours ago, MtB said:

I agree. I fixed a boiler there the other week and the place is being gentrified end to end. 

Nice to see the Magpie and Crown nestling untouched underneath all the development. Also the Beehive a bit further out. 

Well within the London ULEZ scheme