It pays to exercise due-diligence.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

I also think it doesn't quite add up. They went with no heating rather than use a stove because it would make a mess?

I read that as they chose not to have a stove installed because of the dust etc, not that they didn't bother lighting it when it was cold!

15 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Hilarious!! Someone please get the Guardian to add this to their current series of canal related articles?.

I also think it doesn't quite add up. They went with no heating rather than use a stove because it would make a mess? And were they really just going up and down the Crick Summit pound? 

I think they did not have a stove because they are dirty and thought that they didn’t need one because they had a diesel boiler.  Unfortunately the diesel boiler was undersized for very cold spells and broke twice and went away for repair, leaving them with no heating.

Stove can be dirty and dusty , but is in my opinion the heart of any boat and the most reliable form of heating.

If a multi fuel stove was too dirty for them, they should have had a diesel stove installed.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Anybody who spends that sort of money without doing their homework deserves all they get.

Bit harsh, I feel sorry for them, but then I also feel sorry for pensioners that send money to Nigerian bankers to get their inheritance........

It’s the scammers I hate.

44 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I missed where it said it was on the Crick pound.

soon discovering that launched on the Grand Union Canal at Crick, where the broadbeam took our fancy, we quickly realised that there was no way we could get to our family at Wolverhampton, and are is fact stuck on that canal

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do you agree that a boat salesman can be sued...

It’s a disease we picked up from America. “I’ve made a mistake, who can I sue?”

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

It doesn't really matter whether it's a genuine story or not.........................

Yes, it is on Narrowboatworld, apparently, and the owner of that site actually admitted to me that a good story is more important to him than the truth.

For what it is worth, I don't think that this story has been written by an owner of the boat it pretends to be about.

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes, it is on Narrowboatworld, apparently, and the owner of that site actually admitted to me that a good story is more important to him than the truth.

For what it is worth, I don't think that this story has been written by an owner of the boat it pretends to be about.

Well that’s a shock....I always held NBW’s journalism in the highest regard....? 

24 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I think of NBW as the Daily Mail of the on-line waterways news. Always aiming for the outrage and blood pressure spike in its readers. The story being strictly accurate is a bonus, but not essential.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I think of NBW as the Daily Mail of the on-line waterways news. Always aiming for the outrage and blood pressure spike in its readers.

Jen

It’s best treated as click bait....amusing if you have the time but no real substance. 

When BW changed to CRT the NBW gleefully published a story about how stupid they were for not buying up all the relevant Web addresses and reported that they had bought the American canalandrivertrust.org address to stop them using it. 

What they had failed to check though was whether or not they had bought all their relevant addresses. 

I did check however and became the proud owner of narrowboatworld.co.uk.

I recently relinquished ownership as it was costing me a tenner a year to keep an old joke going. 

Don’t know about the truth of the guardian story but I can relate it to a couple who used to berth next me, very proud of their new narrow boat with some of their own ‘touches’ like the 50” tv and surround sound system that definitely worked... sold up and moved on full time,  their first trip was up the Llangollen which they didn’t enjoy (all those fields were boring ) lasted one winter (in a marina ). Sold up never seen again.... 

2 hours ago, carlt said:

When BW changed to CRT the NBW gleefully published a story about how stupid they were for not buying up all the relevant Web addresses and reported that they had bought the American canalandrivertrust.org address to stop them using it. 

What they had failed to check though was whether or not they had bought all their relevant addresses. 

I did check however and became the proud owner of narrowboatworld.co.uk.

I recently relinquished ownership as it was costing me a tenner a year to keep an old joke going. 

You could have told me, for a nominal fee I could have created a much bigger joke.?

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

What are you suggesting?? There are so many holes in this article it would sink quicker than a hipsters white painted “barge”

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. 

Tom could make it up. 

Edited to add : and almost certainly did. 

Edited by carlt
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

Don’t know about the truth of the guardian story but I can relate it to a couple who used to berth next me, very proud of their new narrow boat with some of their own ‘touches’ like the 50” tv and surround sound system that definitely worked... sold up and moved on full time,  their first trip was up the Llangollen which they didn’t enjoy (all those fields were boring ) lasted one winter (in a marina ). Sold up never seen again.... 

I did come across a volume who bought a Wincham Widebeam sailaway as their dream. They were craned into Caen Hill Marina and spent 9 months fitting out on the cut as they cruised along

My first experience of them was when they were asking if a brokerage would take a project boat on sale as they had had enough. They kept getting abuse from boaters and didnt realise the cut was like this. 

Anyway, the brokerage declined as project boats are best sold elsewhere.

My next experience was when moving a boat down Buckby locks at the start of this year, I came out of the 2nd bottom lock, to find the same widebeam moored on the lock landing with another boat behind....this pound is only about 80 yards long!! I stuck the nose in the lock and as I  clambered over the back of their boat, they came out of a transit parked in the car park.

I just said"its no wonder people abuse you if this is how you moor"....she replied "you are only saying that because we are a widebeam.. "

Some people just dont get it, they also happen to own a widebeam.

Even Whilton wouldn't take it, it is currently on sale back at Wincham on the hard standing.....unfinished.

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Did you hear the one about the woman who knew the troubles of Python but went out and bought Delhi ? :D

I ducked that challenge.

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You could have told me, for a nominal fee I could have created a much bigger joke.?

Fuzzy duck made the same offer but I felt that making the point that if BW were stupid for not securing the American Web suffix then what did that make him for not getting the .org.uk address for NBW was enough. 

I'm sure he doesn't read the forum (because he's never plagiarised it) but if he does it is still nice to drop in the odd reminder of his lack of due diligence every so often. 

32 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Sadly I run into these Sorts on an almost weekly basis and I have zero sympathy . 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/uk/high-prices-eco-zones-congestion-canal-boat-living-isnt-used/

This looked interesting but sadly I have used up my free article allowance

thats one of the CRT triggered articles in response to the NBTA articles appearing this week, we seem to have a media war going on between the two.