Stupid places to take your boat ...

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

@Sea Dog is being too harsh. It might count if the bow is firmly wedged on the 'orrible smelly gunge on the bottom and they took an hour or more trying to get it free again.

Jen

Does anyone recognise where it is?

Richard

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Carter's Arm, near Cuckoo Wharf? There are several short arms near there.

That was what I thought, couldn't remember it's name though.

It's the one nearest the bottom lock. No water above the lock, so we winded and went up Garrison

I was expecting to get stuck every inch I went into that arm

Richard

5 hours ago, mykaskin said:

I've also done the first part of the Dudley tunnel, but because the gauge is too pessimistic at the museum end I ballasted down too much and ran across on the shallows on the start of the main bore. Next time I'll start from the south end. The 

Mike

The gauge at the museum end is the only gauge. All boats have to be gauged there prior to passage. I had Vulpes gauged the day before passage as I went south to north and no one knows what you do in between the gauging and the passage. I’d had a couple of test runs under the gauge prior to the ‘official’ measurement to be sure about how to trim the boat. I wasn’t even letting the crew use any water out of the tank overnight but you might just find someone who desperately needs some fuel from you.

JP

12 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The gauge at the museum end is the only gauge. All boats have to be gauged there prior to passage. I had Vulpes gauged the day before passage as I went south to north and no one knows what you do in between the gauging and the passage. I’d had a couple of test runs under the gauge prior to the ‘official’ measurement to be sure about how to trim the boat. I wasn’t even letting the crew use any water out of the tank overnight but you might just find someone who desperately needs some fuel from you.

JP

There is a gauge at Parkhead too, I helped free Felonious Mongoose from under it

Richard

9 minutes ago, RLWP said:

There is a gauge at Parkhead too, I helped free Felonious Mongoose from under it

Richard

Do you mean this thing in the tunnel mouth?

2A8DC5BA-1BE1-429B-BEC7-AC336769A300.jpeg

What was Felonious Mongoose doing beyond the normal limits of navigation? Did the skipper think he knew best? Surely not.

All I know is that I was required to present myself to the DCT at the visitor centre to gauge the boat prior to passage even though I had agreed a south to north passage. It’s the gauge at the DCT visitor centre you have to be able to clear.

JP

ETA - who is that bloke?

Edited by Captain Pegg

3 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Reversed in to see if he fitted - he did!

Only while in the tunnel mouth the water level at Parkhead rose, then he didn't fit

Richard

I recall Charley telling me he had been through on FM. Must have been before the rules on artificial ballast or some strings were pulled. Or maybe I misunderstood and meant he’d only been 20’ of the way though.

If anyone is interested the DCT run a small number of full tunnel trips each year. Either that or ‘hire’ a boat that will fit.

JP

53 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Do you mean this thing in the tunnel mouth?

2A8DC5BA-1BE1-429B-BEC7-AC336769A300.jpeg

What was Felonious Mongoose doing beyond the normal limits of navigation? Did the skipper think he knew best? Surely not.

Charley would probably have gone through if the water hadn't risen.

53 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

JP

ETA - who is that bloke?

He's got one of those PintGlass apps on his phone.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Neil made a good job of Dudley

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/tour_00/BCNplus5.html

Nah, they cheated. Didn’t leg through. We didn’t have any assistance from the tug at all. The way they ballasted the boat isn’t allowed now either. Ballast can only be carried in spaces designed for the purpose.

JP

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

Holme - at the end of New Dyke is probably one of the most isolated overnight stops we've ever done. Winding the boat wasn't a problem but getting there was quite an experience.

I agree, for the last half an hour I really was wondering whether this was a good idea ...DSCF9157.JPG.5be9ffe575f62f1e410a089ac4e834a0.JPGDSCF9158.JPG.685966f8e22c922b5be306af65cb1efe.JPG

Enjoying these accounts...Best thread in ages! The only places on the list I have been to are the end of the Basingstoke, Overton Lake and the roundhouse above Lechlade...planning to return to the BCN next year and do some more though?

Edited by Dave123