Jump to content

Shroppie Fly


Ploos1
 Share

Featured Posts

We were there this February and we were not impressed! Very limited menu, which is fine if the food on it is well cooked and presented but it wasn't. Not impressed with the atmosphere (pretty dead) or food. Don't think we will go back but thought it worth giving it a try. 

 

haggis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, haggis said:

We were there this February and we were not impressed! Very limited menu, which is fine if the food on it is well cooked and presented but it wasn't. Not impressed with the atmosphere (pretty dead) or food. Don't think we will go back but thought it worth giving it a try. 

 

haggis

We called in for a meal, looked and left I am sorry to say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ploos1 said:

Lord Combermere it is then?

I'd choose the Bridge over the Combermere.

Such a shame about the Fly - it was a cracking little pub when we first bought our boat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Don't think we will go back but thought it worth giving it a try. 

 

Well given that this is one of those pubs that gets a new landlord every six months, I'd say your timing was just unfortunate. Wait until the next new LL gets in then try it again. 

 

If it's good, expect it to go downhill fast as the pubco sucks all the cash out of him (or her). If its bad, expect a new LL soon with money to splurge on yet another refurb! 

 

Cynical? Moi?

 

 

 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ange said:

I'd choose the Bridge over the Combermere.

Such a shame about the Fly - it was a cracking little pub when we first bought our boat.

yes, the Fly used to be good and I wonder if it ever will be again. There were signs all over the place prohibiting the use or sale of drugs within the premises. Not a good sign. We have never eaten in the Bridge as the smell of cooking which you have to walk through as you go past it, puts me off. We have been to the Combermere a couple of times and liked it but as there is a good butcher in the village we often eat on board if we are in that area. 

haggis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Well given that this is one of those pubs that gets a new landlord every six months, I'd say your timing was just unfortunate. Wait until the next new LL gets in then try it again. 

 

If it's good, expect it to go downhill fast as the pubco sucks all the cash out of him (or her). If its bad, expect a new LL soon with money to splurge on yet another refurb! 

 

Cynical? Moi?

 

 

 

Got it in one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, haggis said:

yes, the Fly used to be good and I wonder if it ever will be again. There were signs all over the place prohibiting the use or sale of drugs within the premises. Not a good sign. We have never eaten in the Bridge as the smell of cooking which you have to walk through as you go past it, puts me off. We have been to the Combermere a couple of times and liked it but as there is a good butcher in the village we often eat on board if we are in that area. 

haggis

They do the Scottish variety, then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Farey said:

We went there for a drink last week, and it was ok - a lot better than a few years ago. But we didn't eat, so I've no idea about the food.

 

You went in there for a drink? Excellent, that's what a pub is for!

 

Don't expect good food in a pub. Do you expect real ale in a restaurant?

 

 

 

 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went in last Wednesday lunchtime for a drink and see how it looked. Went back in the evening for a meal and cannot fault it. Yes it currently has a limited menu but the food was good and a decent selection of ales. Apparently the new licensee had only been there since earlier on on the year and it is improving day by day. They appear to be there for the long haul.

 

It may now improve by the fact that the pub co, Punch Taverns have been removed from the equation and it is now run by Star Inns, a subsidiary of Heineken who seem to be more receptive to the business.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jam said:

Went in last Wednesday lunchtime for a drink and see how it looked. Went back in the evening for a meal and cannot fault it. Yes it currently has a limited menu but the food was good and a decent selection of ales. Apparently the new licensee had only been there since earlier on on the year and it is improving day by day. They appear to be there for the long haul.

 

It may now improve by the fact that the pub co, Punch Taverns have been removed from the equation and it is now run by Star Inns, a subsidiary of Heineken who seem to be more receptive to the business.

This sounds like great news!  An ex publican I know has Punch Taverns down as the root of much pub related evil.

Fingers crossed that the SF makes an excellent recovery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

This sounds like great news!  An ex publican I know has Punch Taverns down as the root of much pub related evil.

Fingers crossed that the SF makes an excellent recovery.

 

 

Excellent news indeed that Punch have flogged it off!

 

Surely ALL ex publicans have Punch Taverns down as the root of most pub related evil....

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 Surely ALL ex publicans have Punch Taverns down as the root of most pub related evil....

 

 

You may well be right Mike, but he's the only one I've really talked to about it.  I have spoken to other landlords, but it's hard to have a deep and meaningful conversation about the future of the British pub when someone has you by the scruff of the next and is asking you to select a window... ;)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/04/2019 at 21:53, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

You went in there for a drink? Excellent, that's what a pub is for!

 

Don't expect good food in a pub. Do you expect real ale in a restaurant?

 

 

 

 

Why not? Our local does excellent food whilst still maintaining a village pub atmosphere. It is renowned for its food and nice local brewed ale too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, jam said:

Went in last Wednesday lunchtime for a drink and see how it looked. Went back in the evening for a meal and cannot fault it. Yes it currently has a limited menu but the food was good and a decent selection of ales. Apparently the new licensee had only been there since earlier on on the year and it is improving day by day. They appear to be there for the long haul.

 

It may now improve by the fact that the pub co, Punch Taverns have been removed from the equation and it is now run by Star Inns, a subsidiary of Heineken who seem to be more receptive to the business.

Had an Auction sign up three days ago when we came by.

cwdf01.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://auctions.allsop.co.uk/lot-overview/attractive-long-leasehold-public-house-investment-in-audlem/C190520-089?searchid=dJhTncWdeqxHG9SVyDcnCC8YBd7AhwqnUIfJGVqzeKs%3D&idx=0

 

Seems to be the freehold that is for sale. The site is let to Punch Taverns. The sign does say "Business not affected".

Edited by David Mack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wasn't this pub notorious for long waits on expensive food and drink that wasn't particularly good value and also for ridiculously loud live music while people were trying to eat and chat in the next room, as long ago as 20-30 years?

 

Seems it's long been a bit overrated due to its location; the prominent place on the wharf and also because of the 'narrowboat' bar.

Edited by Philip
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everyone... 

My name is Kayleigh I am one of the staff at the Shroppie Fly.

It has changed hands and the new landlady and landlord Lucy and Simon have it now are dedicated to making your experience of the Shroppie Fly a lovely and enjoyable one! 

 

There is a fantastic menu with plenty to choose from and Sunday roasts which we serve till 4 or until the roasts are gone. 

 

We have plenty of seats inside and outside... we love doggies so they are welcome to.

 

We have a variety of Gins and cask ales, definitely something for everyone! 

 

So please come in and see for yourselves and we can restore your faith in the Shroppie Fly again.

  • Greenie 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Kayleigh said:

Hi everyone... 

My name is Kayleigh I am one of the staff at the Shroppie Fly.

It has changed hands and the new landlady and landlord Lucy and Simon have it now are dedicated to making your experience of the Shroppie Fly a lovely and enjoyable one! 

 

There is a fantastic menu with plenty to choose from and Sunday roasts which we serve till 4 or until the roasts are gone. 

 

We have plenty of seats inside and outside... we love doggies so they are welcome to.

 

We have a variety of Gins and cask ales, definitely something for everyone! 

 

So please come in and see for yourselves and we can restore your faith in the Shroppie Fly again.

Welcome to the forum Kayleigh, hopefully the new landlord and landlady can turn the reputation around. Hope it all goes well and if I get to the Audlem festival this year I'll pop in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had good  pint of Shropshire Gold there. Also had Wye Valley HPA and Doom Bar on cask. Talking to the woman who runs the bookshop the new landlord/lady are lovely people and the food is excellent.

 

I think it must have been Kayleigh who opened the door for me o I could carry the 2 pints back to the boat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.