Food storage area under the gunnel

Steve Manc

Featured Posts

Hi

We have a u shape kitchen. We want to put a food storage area under the gunne, in the walkway through the kitchen, to store tins of food and jars.

Has anyone got or seen a tin storage area under the gunnel they could share a photo?

I am looking for idea's 

Thanks

Edited by Steve Manc
To add further information
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Does it have to be tin ?

I've seen wooden ones.

What are you wanting to store in it - will the 'depth' of the Gunwhale be sufficient ?

I read it as somewhere to store tins of food, it is after all a kitchen.   Perhaps I have misinterpreted.

Pretty well every Braidbar in the last 15 years or so has a can cupboard under the gunwale in the galley, with doors. It’s difficult to get a good pic because of the angles, but if there’s a Braidbar near you, I’m sure the owner will be delighted to show it off!

Edited by BruceinSanity
Remove excess apostrophe.

20 hours ago, LadyG said:

I wear my Tipperary driving helmet when cycling, it is a crash helmet used by horse drivers and will withstand considerably more than a cycle helmet 

And this is relevant to what???????????

Just make sure you're not storing cans or jars of food in a damp area. They should be kept dry as the damp can encourage them to leak and then you've got bacteria growing inside. In most cases you'd see this as a blown tin and discard it, but people have died as a result of something as simple as someone placing a dirty cloth on wet cans which had come out of the retort in food factory. It can happen at home too in damp conditions. I know a bloke who thought it was a good idea to stow lots of tins of tuna and pinapple in his bilges. Half of them blew. You've got to keep them dry. 

https://asktheexpert.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/757/~/how-long-can-you-keep-canned-goods%3F

4 hours ago, Richard T said:

We have one of these under the gunwhale of our boat. https://www.redcandy.co.uk/product-black-and-blum-forminimal-wine-rack?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItdKr3K_v3AIVS7TtCh3LHgdkEAQYCyABEgKPbfD_BwE

Far better use of the space than using it for tins!!! Ours is actually bigger it takes 8 bottles.

8 bottles????

One bottle rarely survives more than a few hours in my boat....

• Haha 1

On 14/08/2018 at 23:49, Billy Boy said:

LadyG,,are you thinking this tin stowage is not a safe idea?:)

I think its a matter of Health and Safety: we have to take our responsibilities seriously, I mean should we only wear steel capped shoes when shopping at Tesco, Reading, discarding them in the well deck, and throwing caution to the winds when inside the boat? :)

Edited by LadyG